Road surface or tire noise.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I notice the opposite. no road noise at all. don't know what you're talking about. I've driven a lot of cars and my new civic is the smoothest quietest most aerodynamic car I've ever had. Maybe you're hallucinating?
Sponsored

kasian

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
I notice the opposite. no road noise at all. don't know what you're talking about. I've driven a lot of cars and my new civic is the smoothest quietest most aerodynamic car I've ever had. Maybe you're hallucinating?
LOL...I hope not, bro! What is your tire brand though?
Yes I agree overall the Civic is very quite. I barely hear any motor noise for normal drive. The insulation to external road noise is also outstanding at this price level. But really when I bring the car >55mph on the highway...It gives obvious noise.....but it becomes a lot better when the car is on a new paven portion of the highway. That's why I am questioning the tire but not Civic the car itself.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
There are some road surfaces that create lots of noise. However it will affect almost all vehicles.

CosmicX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6M
Country flag
Mine has the Hankook Kinergy GTs. WIll be hitting 62000 tonight. Were very quiet when new, but became really noisy at about 40000. Still have some tread left, so I'm going to push them until I notice a performance falloff. Cant really complain. Great tire in the dry, very good in the rain, but terrible in snow. Have a set of Cooper RS3-G1's waiting for their chance to shine. If you have the Hankooks, run em to death :)

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I've got the crappy firestone 140's. As soon as I can I'm going to get rid of them and get either Michelin Pilot sports or Goodyear Eagle sports. Can't wait. This summer .

kasian

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got the crappy firestone 140's. As soon as I can I'm going to get rid of them and get either Michelin Pilot sports or Goodyear Eagle sports. Can't wait. This summer .
I am sorry to hear that. So what do you mean by "crappy" on those Firestone tires? Is it noisy or what?

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Maybe it depends on what you are used to.
My previous car was a MB CLK350 and I found the SI is a bit louder. This is, however, a lot better than what I expected.

Last edited:

klm57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord, 2015 Chevy Equinox
I have 30,500 miles on my 2016 Civic EX-L and to me the tire noise is very loud. I drove this car for about 150 miles for a day before I decided to buy it and don't remember it being near this loud. I just ordered a set of Goodyear Comfort Touring tires. I sure hope they make a difference...

starwolf

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord EX
Country flag
I have 30,500 miles on my 2016 Civic EX-L and to me the tire noise is very loud. I drove this car for about 150 miles for a day before I decided to buy it and don't remember it being near this loud. I just ordered a set of Goodyear Comfort Touring tires. I sure hope they make a difference...
Please let us know if the Goodyears make a big difference for you.

klm57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord, 2015 Chevy Equinox
Please let us know if the Goodyears make a big difference for you.
I have the new Goodyear Comfort Touring and it makes a little difference but not as much as I hoped for in reference to road noise. Ride quality has improved. I don't know if I need to get a few miles on them or if that will make any difference in road noise.

kasian

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the new Goodyear Comfort Touring and it makes a little difference but not as much as I hoped for in reference to road noise. Ride quality has improved. I don't know if I need to get a few miles on them or if that will make any difference in road noise.
From all similar threads it looks like Michelin should be the best, and then Goodyear/Continental. My HB is Continental but I think the tire noise is still quite loud (Maybe because the engine is too quite!)

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The Firestone 140's are mediocre at best. Not horribly noisy on smooth asphalt surfaces but much louder on concrete. They also ride rather roughly at times for LLR tires. Not impressed at all. I give them a solid 2 out of 5 stars. :confused:

mormandy3

First Name
Michael Ormandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EXT
Sorry to start off by resurrecting an old thread, but I wanted to report a tire change that really made a difference with this noise issue on my 2017 EXT.

My car had not bad, but horrendous road noise with the stock Firestone tires that got progressively worse over the 2+ years I've owned the car. The noise was so bad that I had to really turn the stereo up to hear music, and sometimes that just doesn't work. Passengers complained about the road noise. It was actually getting ridiculous. Other than the road noise, and several nagging interior rattles, the car is wonderful, quick, and has great handling.

A few days ago one tire got it's second road damage and could not be repaired. With over half of the tread gone from the other three, and with the road noise in mind, I bit the bullet and told Discount Tire I'd take a full set of their quietest tires. Those are apparently the Continental Control Contact Touring tires.

The difference is night and day. I would estimate that they reduce road noise by around 60%, which for me is a game-changer, allowing my stereo and conversations to be enjoyed at normal volumes. Also the guys at Discount said these things last a very long time, much longer than the other tires they carry in this size. In higher speed cornering grip is at least as good as the old Firestone tires, and probably a touch better. I could have had a bit more grip with the Yoko or Pirelli options I'm told, but I purposely opted for lowest possible road noise level and am very happy that I did. If you really hate road noise, consider these Conti's.

Prelude2CivicX

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T 6 Speed M/T, 2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport, 1997 Lexus SC300
Country flag
I noticed the exact same road noise issue/tire noise since I first purchased my Civic. I did also noticed how rough the roads feel but I guess thats due to the 17" wheels from the factory. My 2017 Civic EX-T came with Firestone FT140's and I must say they're rough. Anyone have any updates since swapping these OEM tires out?
Just a bit of an update: I have since upgraded from a 17’ EX-T to an 18’ Si with Goodyear Eagles and I’ve got to say it’s a a little smoother and quieter but not by much. I believe mostly due to the Si having 18” wheels from the factory and having a stiffer suspension.

Last edited:

Snowwolfe

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 LX CVT sedan, blue. 2019 F250 Super Duty Lariat 2017 Ford Expedition
Country flag
I test drove a 2019 LX sedan yesterday. The amount of road noise surprised me, and not in a good way. The Civic was much louder than my current truck over the same roads.
Sponsored