Road surface or tire noise.

HondA.cura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone noticed an excessive amount of road noise? I'm not comparing to anything specifically but asking in general.
I've used decibel apps to compare and yes I realize these are not accurate, but close enough to gauge a comparison if using the same phone, app and road between vehicles. It seems like at 70 I'm getting mid-80 decibels consistently using 2 phones.
Anyway regardless of the app has anyone else notice a lot of noise on the highway?
Sponsored

BLKonBLK'16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16blkCIV '69nomad,'90toy4x4
Country flag
i'll have to check mine. while i certainly have noise in the cabin i think its quite enough. the noise i do hear doesn't seem to clash with the radio or conversation.

WhatTheFun

Knows some stuff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I actually thought this car has low levels of tire noise. I'm running winter tires right now and they are slightly louder than stock, but not bad.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Its obviously highly dependent upon road surface (concrete vs. asphalt, age & condition), but I've had mine up to 100 (briefly), and think the road noise, and overall noise, is exceptionally low.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
Recommended cold tire pressure is 32 psi front and rear. It'd be noisier if over-inflated... Roads are quite rough actually from freezing rain buildup.

Last edited:

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
If you want quiet buy Goodyear Comfortred Touring or Michelin defender. I will probably put up with the Firestone's until next fall. This is a quiet car so its most likely the tires making the noise

t3xn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I have the touring and the Firestone's are very loud. They sound as loud as my bald Nitto's were on my Jeep Grand Cherokee before I replaced them with very quiet Yokohamas. The outside noise from passing cars/trucks is on the same level as my Jeep was but the tires are unbearable.

Whimsey12000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring MSM
Country flag
Thank you!!! I thought I was just being picky compared to everyone saying how quiet the car is. I get quite a bit of tire/road noise..more than what I was anticipating from everyone saying how quiet the car is.
It's definitely very quiet from wind noise though :)

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The car is a lot quieter than our 8th gen civic. I wonder if that makes the tire noise easier to hear. In the rain I could hear the water splashing inside the wheel well.

klm57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord, 2015 Chevy Equinox
I also hear a lot of road/wind noise coming from the right drivers side door or windows. Sometimes it sounds like the door is not closed all the way. Maybe a bad seal. I think that I will take it in to Honda when I get a chance to have them check it out.

BLKonBLK'16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16blkCIV '69nomad,'90toy4x4
Country flag
just measured mine with a tablet. at 70 on concrete rain grooved freeway= 70-72db. same speed on ass fault= maybe 2db less. car off in driveway = 20-40db
engine noise seemed to make little to no difference.( when engine and or muffler noise noticed, the sound level did not go up. all in all i find it quite .
hancook tires.

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing - Modern Steel Metallic / Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you want quiet buy Goodyear Comfortred Touring or Michelin defender. I will probably put up with the Firestone's until next fall. This is a quiet car so its most likely the tires making the noise

I too have noticed my new Civic has slightly higher road noise than say, my 2010 Chevy Equinox AWD which is exceptionally quiet. I assumed it was due to differences in sound dampening, but then again, coincidence or not, I'm running the 'Nox on Goodyear Confortred's as mentioned above and Michellin Latutude Touring before that. I've always preferred Goodyear and Michellin over Firestone, but since the road noise is not super annoyingly loud, I will run the 'Vic on what it's on until it is time to replace them.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I ditched my OEM tires on the 3rd day of ownership for crappy traction, now its also more quiet with different tires. I don't really notice any other noise coming from the car other than engine noise at non highway speed.

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
They're loud crappy tires. Either suffer through them until they're worn or sell them and get yourself some nice all seasons. Depending on what you're looking for (grip, longevity, fuel economy, noise, wet traction, etc) there are all sorts of options for this size range. Any decent tire is going to sound better and perform better than the OEM ones. My current poison is a set of RE-11 for summers and WS80 for winter - both arguably the best in their respective classes. Having gone through most of the range (PSS, RE-050, Cups, etc) those RE-11's are golden. Can't speak towards the WS80's yet as I haven't had a chance to properly test them out but, they look great.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
They're loud crappy tires. Either suffer through them until they're worn or sell them and get yourself some nice all seasons. Depending on what you're looking for (grip, longevity, fuel economy, noise, wet traction, etc) there are all sorts of options for this size range. Any decent tire is going to sound better and perform better than the OEM ones. My current poison is a set of RE-11 for summers and WS80 for winter - both arguably the best in their respective classes. Having gone through most of the range (PSS, RE-050, Cups, etc) those RE-11's are golden. Can't speak towards the WS80's yet as I haven't had a chance to properly test them out but, they look great.
Looks like we may get some serious snow this weekend to test out our new tires LOL (I'm in MA too)
Sponsored