Road surface or tire noise.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Have you noticed a change in any other behavior such as ride handling or fuel economy?
Handles MUCH better, no more hydroplaning, and made it thru the winter with ease. I cannot say if it did or did not change fuel economy I did not have the original tires on there long enough to even go thru a tank of gas.
But at times I've gotten as high as 46mpg which I think is as good as I'd ever be able to do in MA, New England is just too hilly to get better than that.
Sponsored

laura2813

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one that has issues with the original tires. Purchased my coupe a few weeks ago and the tires are driving me crazy. Looks like I'll be purchasing a new set here soon to block out some of the noise I'm getting.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one that has issues with the original tires. Purchased my coupe a few weeks ago and the tires are driving me crazy. Looks like I'll be purchasing a new set here soon to block out some of the noise I'm getting.
Try what I did, go to a tire store see if they will give you a discount on new tires by giving you something for your current tires. I got Mastercrafts which are made by cooper, they are great tires and a decent price

BillyCuth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Picked my EX-L sedan up 2 weeks ago and I have to agree. They're noisy and you can tell they're low resistance type tires (not much grip, but lots of MPGs). I am gonna stick with them for now, but if it's a snowy winter here in PA I may have to do something (or work from home a lot).

OP
OP
HondA.cura

HondA.cura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Honda knows their cars carry reverb through the wheel, hub and sub-frame. One solution is to soften the bushings and ruin the feedback like Toyota, otherwise thicker metal that doesn't flex enough to vibrate or likewise use mass dampers, but those add weight. So, how to keep the sporty sharpness without adding weight or using expensive materials? They've got a tech for Acura that hopefully will trickle down into everything; noise dampening wheels. The surface noise of the contact patch of the tread is cancelled out inside of the tire's air chamber by special reverberating metal pieces inside of the wheel itself. You can see on the 2016 ILX (all trims) and the RLX (Advance only for some years) the specs on the website list the wheels as noise reducing. Pretty neat stuff, or you can buy some used on eBay because they fit the same tire size as the civic x.

BarryG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6 spd man sedan
Country flag
I purchased a 2016 Civic LX sedan 3 weeks ago, and have 500 miles on it now. As other have noted, I perceive a high road noise level, especially at 55-65 mph, which varies quite a bit depending on road surface and pavement condition. My OEM tires are Hankook Kinergy GT. Is this the OEM tire to which others have referred?

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No
I purchased a 2016 Civic LX sedan 3 weeks ago, and have 500 miles on it now. As other have noted, I perceive a high road noise level, especially at 55-65 mph, which varies quite a bit depending on road surface and pavement condition. My OEM tires are Hankook Kinergy GT. Is this the OEM tire to which others have referred?
no we had cap Firestone

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
It gets worse with mileage, much worse. I am at 30k miles and my car is louder than my duramax silverado. I went through the same mess with my 07, excessive rear camber was chewing up the tires.....cupping them and making noise. They had a recall on the rear control arms to correct this. It didn't. I bought an aftermarket camber kit to correct this, and it helped but did not solve the issue. 10th gen seems a little better, but still unacceptable IMO. At 40k I had to replace tires on the old car (like every year), at 30k the new car is just a huge annoyance, nothing that needs replaced so far. The old car did it regardless of tire make or quality. I finally went with a garbage, cheap tire since I conceded I was going to have to replace them annually...a chinese made Sumic. Guess what? Outlased two sets of goodyear triple treads and the original bridgestones that came on it. The second set of sumics I put on it had like 60k an while noisy, were still rolling strong when I sold it.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It gets worse with mileage, much worse. I am at 30k miles and my car is louder than my duramax silverado. I went through the same mess with my 07, excessive rear camber was chewing up the tires.....cupping them and making noise. They had a recall on the rear control arms to correct this. It didn't. I bought an aftermarket camber kit to correct this, and it helped but did not solve the issue. 10th gen seems a little better, but still unacceptable IMO. At 40k I had to replace tires on the old car (like every year), at 30k the new car is just a huge annoyance, nothing that needs replaced so far. The old car did it regardless of tire make or quality. I finally went with a garbage, cheap tire since I conceded I was going to have to replace them annually...a chinese made Sumic. Guess what? Outlased two sets of goodyear triple treads and the original bridgestones that came on it. The second set of sumics I put on it had like 60k an while noisy, were still rolling strong when I sold it.
I put on Madtercrafts made by Cooper, improved my traction and it's also nice and quiet now

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I put on Madtercrafts made by Cooper, improved my traction and it's also nice and quiet now

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I put on Mastercrafts by Cooper, nice and quiet now and much improved traction

YankeesJTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe LX, 2007 Toyota Tacoma 2.7l 4cyl MT, 2013 Honda Fit
I think too much road noise is an opinion unless you're quantifying it with an actual decibel level. When i first got the civic a few weeks ago, it seemed really quiet, but then after a week or so it seemed a little noisy to me. However, after getting back in my 2007 Tacoma and driving for a day, then back to the civic. I realize just how quiet the car is again!
Sponsored