Road noise (tires?)

hybrid81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I had the extreme contact dws on my Accord. It was quiet and great in the rain.
Sponsored

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a LX and mine is really noisy. The car was very quiet when it was still brand new but now 8 months in, the car is absolutely noisy. Not sure if its the tires but I'm not forking up a few hundred for a different set of tires just for the noise control. Guess I'll have to suck it up and sit in a noisy car. :(
Please tell me, are the tires on the LX also Firestone FT140s?

bcthai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 1.8EL
Just got a '16 Honda Civic EX two weeks ago. Love the car. Only thing I've noticed is the road noise. I think it has to do with the Firestone tires... Probably not the greatest. Looking forward to wearing them out and getting some continentals.
My Civic 1.8 EL (EX-L?) came with tires called Hancook in Bangkok (Again, low spec/high price - a normal thing in Thailand). Also noisy on some surfaces you would not expect... On a Nissan Sentra that had (cheap) Goodyears, I changed to Bridgestones that were about 20% more expensive and it made a big difference - much quieter and smoother. Too early for any changes on my 3 week old car.

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
Hondas are notorious for road noise in general compared to Toyotas.
That said, my Touring's ride is very quiet and minimal road noise, comparable to Toyotas.

I haven't had road noise issues on the Civic Touring and the ride is pretty smooth for a Honda...never thought I'd say this and I am pro Toyota/Lexus in this regard.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
my car is in the shop but from the picture i took from the car accident all i can see on the tire is "kinergy." so probably not the Firestone FT140s. Sorry.
Correct, you have Hankook Kinergy tires on your LX.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes it has a lot of road noise. It is not the tires.
I have no idea why you, or anybody else, would think this. These are the loudest tires I've ever heard outside of gnarly mud tires. I can't wait until I can replace these rock hard economy tires.

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
Yeah Honda really screwed over with the El Cheapo Firestone tires on the Touring. Not the cream of the crop.

Once they wear out in 3 or 4 years, I'll be sure to put some Michelins from Costco. Pretty much done it on all my cars and you know where that extra money went when you are riding o Michelins.

LX16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe lx
Just got a '16 Honda Civic EX two weeks ago. Love the car. Only thing I've noticed is the road noise. I think it has to do with the Firestone tires... Probably not the greatest. Looking forward to wearing them out and getting some continentals.
Actually the Firestone tires are pretty good tires, but they are "MPG" tires, so they are a little noisier to some people. Every tire I've ever used made some noise at some time though. I guess I don't notice it because I've usually got my Goo Goo Dolls playing too loud.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Chinese cars come with Yokohama Advan db tires. After the first couple of days I noticed a huge improvement and now it is very quiet! At first the tires were noisy and i was a bit surprised because these are specifically sold as a low noise design! I also noticed that the engine is extremely quiet at low rpm and of course tire noise will stand out more than in other cars!

jeffNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 TL, 12 Civic, 16 Civic EX
Country flag
I noticed the same problem with noise and replaced the Firestones with Michelin Premier A/S at 1,600 KM on the odometer. The Michelins are definitely quieter and have a better ride. They are still noisy on textured, chip-sealed pavement. Honda has never been able to master that situation.

The Firestones are stashed in my garage and will be mounted back on the car when it is returned at the end of the lease.

For winter, I use studded Nokian Hakkapeliittas. Nothing quiet about those.

hybrid81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed the same problem with noise and replaced the Firestones with Michelin Premier A/S at 1,600 KM on the odometer. The Michelins are definitely quieter and have a better ride. They are still noisy on textured, chip-sealed pavement. Honda has never been able to master that situation.

The Firestones are stashed in my garage and will be mounted back on the car when it is returned at the end of the lease.

For winter, I use studded Nokian Hakkapeliittas. Nothing quiet about those.
I have it narrowed down to those or another set of Continentals. The Conti's have been good to me but the Civic is no sports car. Might be time for a Touring tire.
Sponsored