Road noise, tire noise, or something else?

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic coupe, 1992 Acura integra
Hey guys... Just a quick question here... I am getting a bit of noise when going under 25mph or so and wanted to get a few opinions on what it sounded like.

Here is the video with the sound... This is with the motor off and in neutral. Also tried in first second and third with no difference in noise. It is very much speed dependent as well.

I hope is is just how anal I am about my car and sensitive to noises, or a tire problem.
Sponsored

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
What are we listening for? How much do I need to turn up my speakers?

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turn them up, it's described by a friend as a "wop wop wop" it's almost like a cyclic wheel bearing

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
What are we listening for? How much do I need to turn up my speakers?
Pretty loud but I caught it. It is a voop-a-voopa pattern sound and it sounds too plastic or rubbery to be something like a heatshield on the brakes and it certainly isn't a wheel bearing. Those are much more continuous roar if they are bad.

I ran winters almost immediately after I bought my 2017 so I am not accustom to the noises the factory Firestones my car came with but I have heard nothing even remotely like this on mine. If I would have to guess, I would say tires. The thing you can do to see if it is or is not tires is move the front tires to the back and see if the noise moves. If it does, then it is tires. If it doesn't then it is mechanical. Buy/borrow 4 jackstands if you don't have any so you can do the swap in one whole move.

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty loud but I caught it. It is a voop-a-voopa pattern sound and it sounds too plastic or rubbery to be something like a heatshield on the brakes and it certainly isn't a wheel bearing. Those are much more continuous roar if they are bad.

I ran winters almost immediately after I bought my 2017 so I am not accustom to the noises the factory Firestones my car came with but I have heard nothing even remotely like this on mine. If I would have to guess, I would say tires. The thing you can do to see if it is or is not tires is move the front tires to the back and see if the noise moves. If it does, then it is tires. If it doesn't then it is mechanical. Buy/borrow 4 jackstands if you don't have any so you can do the swap in one whole move.
Yeah, I think it's something rubbing with the brakes. They are a bit noisy when rotoating without the tire .

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

And I did actually put the spare on to see if it would change the sound. It sounds more plastic rubbing on plastic or something.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And I did actually put the spare on to see if it would change the sound. It sounds more plastic rubbing on plastic or something.
Ya, that is why I was so willing to guess tires. Metal on metal tends to be very distinctive and brake noises are almost always continuous.

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya, that is why I was so willing to guess tires. Metal on metal tends to be very distinctive and brake noises are almost always continuous.
I just pulled the drivers side tire off, and spun the hub. Sound is definitely coming from the transmission. I'll post a video once it's uploaded. Sounds like the bearing between the CV axle and the transmission

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

This is with the tire off, and spinning the hub in neutral. I put the phone directly under the drivers side CV axle. It does not do it when spinning the wheel in reverse, only forwards

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ya, I'd have that into the dealership ASAP. Not a great spot for such a sound... Use that warranty when you can.

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya, I'd have that into the dealership ASAP. Not a great spot for such a sound... Use that warranty when you can.
Yep, too bad it's a Sunday otherwise I'd have it there now.

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update... Dropped the car off at the dealer, the tech has never seen or heard the noise before... They brought in an engineer and said that it was normal I don't know if I should believe them or just go on my way

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would in no way accept that... There are some things that I will put up with like the little black parts at the edges of the windshield beside the fenders where they meet the A pillars. I would not tolerate a mechanical issue like that.

At the LEAST, I would tell them that WHEN it gets worse, they WILL replace it under warranty and that they can't use "regular wear item" as an excuse as you have providence via reporting it to them and posting and videoing it and putting it on YT.

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would in no way accept that... There are some things that I will put up with like the little black parts at the edges of the windshield beside the fenders where they meet the A pillars. I would not tolerate a mechanical issue like that.

At the LEAST, I would tell them that WHEN it gets worse, they WILL replace it under warranty and that they can't use "regular wear item" as an excuse as you have providence via reporting it to them and posting and videoing it and putting it on YT.
I uploaded the file that they printed out. The thing that bothers me most is I don't even think they put the vehicle in the air like I had asked them to. I sent them the videos that I uploaded so they also have proof of the noises

Honda Civic 10th gen Road noise, tire noise, or something else? IMG_20180608_160102

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Good stuff. Best to arm yourself as much as you can. The thing that aggravates me the most with car ownership is dealership service inconsistency. One will be awesome and another will be crap and yet never loses their franchise.

My brother in law had a really bad experience as a Toyota owner with the dealership where he lived here in Canada. Then when he moved to Mass, he went to the Toyota dealership there and they wouldn't touch him due to credit. Which was a joke as he is a security director for a huge international gambling company's IT division. So... All in, he gets clipped by two bad Toyota dealerships and goes with a Ford Edge and now he loves them and will just keep leasing them.

I count my lucky stars that my experience with my local Honda dealership has been pretty much a 9 out of 10.
Sponsored