First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatch Sport (cvt)
Country flag
(Solved, it is Non-issue)
Hey all, I am very new to tuning, don't know a lot about it, and encountered something that seemed weird to me.

Last night I was driving home and pulled off the road for a few minutes idling. When I got back on the highway I noticed that the knock control was around 80 and consistently went up to about 95ish or so (before it was consistently around .49). The knock retard was also consistently going to about 6deg at 35% throttle and would spike to 9 or so closer at higher throttle.

At the time the only thing in my tank was Shell 93.

AFR seemed normal about 12.5-14 or something close to that when on the throttle and 29.4 when off throttle and would drop to 10 for half a sec after revs while parked then back to normal. Engine temps were all normal as far as I could tell.

Was a bit concerned so I stopped at a gas station and flashed back to factory. Driving home the knock control started to go down but the knock retard stayed the same going up when I put the throttle in.

I have not noticed the knock retard going up before and the knock control consistently going up while on the highway was very unusual. If I remember correctly the knock retard had always stayed at 0 before I think even while on the throttle. I was driving normally and hadn't done any WOT pulls right before noticing all of this.

I have not noticed any major power loss but I was very cautious about it after seeing those values going up.

Going to work this morning I put some Exxon 93 in and knock control was at .49-.54 but the knock retard continued to rise when putting throttle in. Still on factory tune.

Can someone shed some light on this for me? non-issue or issue?
Sponsored

Last edited:

KTunedtoStock

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey all, I am very new to tuning, don't know a lot about it, and encountered something that seemed weird to me.

Last night I was driving home and pulled off the road for a few minutes idling. When I got back on the highway I noticed that the knock control was around 80 and consistently went up to about 95ish or so (before it was consistently around .49). The knock retard was also consistently going to about 6deg at 35% throttle and would spike to 9 or so closer at higher throttle.

At the time the only thing in my tank was Shell 93.

AFR seemed normal about 12.5-14 or something close to that when on the throttle and 29.4 when off throttle and would drop to 10 for half a sec after revs while parked then back to normal. Engine temps were all normal as far as I could tell.

Was a bit concerned so I stopped at a gas station and flashed back to factory. Driving home the knock control started to go down but the knock retard stayed the same going up when I put the throttle in.

I have not noticed the knock retard going up before and the knock control consistently going up while on the highway was very unusual. If I remember correctly the knock retard had always stayed at 0 before I think even while on the throttle. I was driving normally and hadn't done any WOT pulls right before noticing all of this.

I have not noticed any major power loss but I was very cautious about it after seeing those values going up.

Going to work this morning I put some Exxon 93 in and knock control was at .49-.54 but the knock retard continued to rise when putting throttle in. Still on factory tune.

Can someone shed some light on this for me? non-issue or issue?
What tune are you using? What car do you have? This info will change what the answer would be. I do believe the stock tune has a higher knock control than aftermarket tune. Also, I dont think knock retard is as important as knock control. Any others that can share some better info? Edit: after reading your thread on the reliability page, it seems you're using the Hatchback CVT with Phearable 1.5. In the CVT you have artifical knock rise when you're on stock/phearable. Any high rpms will make knock control rise from what I understand. KTuner recently came out with the ability to eliminate this feature, but only on their tunes

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spade

Spade

First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatch Sport (cvt)
Country flag
What tune are you using? What car do you have? This info will change what the answer would be. I do believe the stock tune has a higher knock control than aftermarket tune. Also, I dont think knock retard is as important as knock control. Any others that can share some better info? Edit: after reading your thread on the reliability page, it seems you're using the Hatchback CVT with Phearable 1.5. In the CVT you have artifical knock rise when you're on stock/phearable. Any high rpms will make knock control rise from what I understand. KTuner recently came out with the ability to eliminate this feature, but only on their tunes
That’s correct, phearable stage 1.5 on hatch sport CVT. Appreciate the input!

Edit: Does anyone know what the knock retard means and what’s a normal value for our tuned engines?

Edit # 2: @KTuner published this explaining it all.

http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/ignition_timing_and_knock_control.htm

so what I was seeing is completely normal.

detailed explanation:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/knock-retard.36864/
Sponsored

Last edited: