First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Hey Guys,

Right now i'm almost completely done with my OEM set of tires. Just above 8,000 miles (they lasted longer than i was expecting).
The guys at America's tires told me a new set of Michelin PS4S in 20" costs around $1500 (installation and all). And for 19" its $1200.
Never really considered new rims but now with the cost difference i'm considering it.

Few Questions/Suggestions:
1.) Need a recommendation for a set of 19" rims. Im not entirely sure how much rims cost.. but I wouldn't spend more than $2500 (would rather eat the cost of 20" tires at that point).
2.) Who here has moved to 19" rims? And what size of side wall did you go with? 35? 40?
3.) Any suggestions or advice you can offer would be great.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Hey Guys,

Right now i'm almost completely done with my OEM set of tires. Just above 8,000 miles (they lasted longer than i was expecting).
The guys at America's tires told me a new set of Michelin PS4S in 20" costs around $1500 (installation and all). And for 19" its $1200.
Never really considered new rims but now with the cost difference i'm considering it.

Few Questions/Suggestions:
1.) Need a recommendation for a set of 19" rims. Im not entirely sure how much rims cost.. but I wouldn't spend more than $2500 (would rather eat the cost of 20" tires at that point).
2.) Who here has moved to 19" rims? And what size of side wall did you go with? 35? 40?
3.) Any suggestions or advice you can offer would be great.
https://tiresize.com/comparison/

This will give you an idea of speedo error with new tire sizes (and rim sizes). 245/35/19 are exact diameter to the stock 245/30/20. 2500 can get you quite a bit of rim to be honest. A cheap set that's light and won't break the bank would be the Motegi MR924 19x8.5 +53 which will accept the 245/35/19 tires. They are pretty light as well 22lbs per corner. A set of those would only run about 1k though.

I'd personally go through TireRack and look at what options you have for wheels. You can get some decent wheels for that price. If you want a performance improvement make sure you get a lighter set of wheels (stock weight about 30lbs each). The closer you are to +60 offset, the less torque steer you'll see, though you have to go pretty extreme to get torque steer anyways (I'm on +42 and see very minor torque steer).

OP
OP

VashR547

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
https://tiresize.com/comparison/

This will give you an idea of speedo error with new tire sizes (and rim sizes). 245/35/19 are exact diameter to the stock 245/30/20. 2500 can get you quite a bit of rim to be honest. A cheap set that's light and won't break the bank would be the Motegi MR924 19x8.5 +53 which will accept the 245/35/19 tires. They are pretty light as well 22lbs per corner. A set of those would only run about 1k though.

I'd personally go through TireRack and look at what options you have for wheels. You can get some decent wheels for that price. If you want a performance improvement make sure you get a lighter set of wheels (stock weight about 30lbs each). The closer you are to +60 offset, the less torque steer you'll see, though you have to go pretty extreme to get torque steer anyways (I'm on +42 and see very minor torque steer).
Thank you so much!

I was looking at the list posted earlier and there was ALOT of rims suggested (at really high prices too).
That one you recommended up there is perfect! $1,000 for a set would be great.

And I didn't realize tirerack was such a good site for rims too.

Thanks again man

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Thank you so much!

I was looking at the list posted earlier and there was ALOT of rims suggested (at really high prices too).
That one you recommended up there is perfect! $1,000 for a set would be great.

And I didn't realize tirerack was such a good site for rims too.

Thanks again man
Tirerack is great, so is Fitment Industries. Keep in mind that both do offer a small discount if you do local pickup. TireRack should have many locations across the US for pickup; you're a little far from Fitment though (IL).

Edit: another thing, it may be cheaper to but the rim and tire together through the supplier since they'll also mount and balance the tires for you (that way you don't need to pay a shop to do it which could be upwards of 20-50 bucks a wheel). You will need to mount them onto the car yourself (or ask a shop to do so).

OP
OP

VashR547

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Thank you so much!

Just put a Rim + Tire package together and with Tax it came out to $2,245!

Way cheaper than I was expecting everything to come out to.

You deserve a gold star for the day my man!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Thank you so much!

Just put a Rim + Tire package together and with Tax it came out to $2,245!

Way cheaper than I was expecting everything to come out to.

You deserve a gold star for the day my man!
No problem! Enjoy your new wheels!
Sponsored