KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So as you might know I just installed new wheels on my LX - Motegi Racing MR131 Traklite and got new tires
Riken Raptor ZR 235/45 R17 Summer high performance.

Tires cost just $80 (Tirerack), so I thought maybe someone wants to buy them too and they can read real world experience.

I drove about 100 miles with a new setup, other mods I have 22mm rear Eibach sway bar and front upper Megan Racing strut bar.

Wet performance - didn't have a chance to try yet
Dry performance - I didn't feel noticeable difference in handling. Stability ? Yes, but I think mostly because of additional mods and bit wider contact surface.
Comfort - LOUD and NOISY... in fact so much I can't even relax while driving.... Tires are too soft, which helps with overall comfort but doesn't do anything good for performance
Overall impression - you get what you pay for :) Tires are 5/10, nothing to be excited about to be honest, if you want something comfortable, quiet, improvement handling get something better and spend little more.
Honda Civic 10th gen Riken Raptor ZR 235/45 R17 review IMG_5051

Honda Civic 10th gen Riken Raptor ZR 235/45 R17 review IMG_5056

he Raptor ZR is RIKEN's Ultra High Performance Summer tire developed for the drivers of sporty coupes and sport sedans looking to combine responsive steering and performance-focused handling in an attractive package. However, like all Ultra High Performance Summer tires, the Raptor ZR is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Honda Civic 10th gen Riken Raptor ZR 235/45 R17 review IMG_5056
The Raptor ZR molds a summer tread compound into an aggressive, directional tread design focused on providing traction in dry and wet conditions. The arrow-shaped pattern utilizes wide lateral grooves for efficient water evacuation and improved hydroplaning resistance. The tire sidewalls feature a rigid compound to help improve handling and steering response, while a built-in rim protector helps prevent damage to wheels.

Ultra High Performance Summer tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Note: Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Ultra High Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

CosmicX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6M
Country flag
Thanks for the honest review.
If possible, update this review after a few thousand miles on the tires. Maybe they will change with a longer break in.

OP
OP
KYRGYZ

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks for the honest review.
If possible, update this review after a few thousand miles on the tires. Maybe they will change with a longer break in.
thanks, will do

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Off topic:
I know you were a little bummed on the weight of your tracklites being more than the steelies... but I think its mostly tire weight.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I bought the same setup. Only in 18s. Ive been completely elated for the money I spent. I do want to tell you they do have a legit break in or set in time. Really took 1k miles for them to get right. They are a significant improvement over stock, especially for the money. Ive done 4 autox events on them and daily driven 7k miles now. Still completely happy with them. They are just summer only street tires at the end of the day... and very affordable.

OP
OP
KYRGYZ

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Off topic:
I know you were a little bummed on the weight of your tracklites being more than the steelies... but I think its mostly tire weight.
Oh yeah definitely, wheels weight just 17lb (20.1 lb stock steelies) but tires weight 26lb (stock tires just 21lb) but I'm ok with that, 3 lb gain is nothing when 44lb is still less than any other OEM wheels... originally I wanted stock Si wheels, those are around 55lb... stock EX wheels are over 48lb... I still think 44lb is good, I just wish I got lighter and better tires...

OP
OP
KYRGYZ

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I bought the same setup. Only in 18s. Ive been completely elated for the money I spent. I do want to tell you they do have a legit break in or set in time. Really took 1k miles for them to get right. They are a significant improvement over stock, especially for the money. Ive done 4 autox events on them and daily driven 7k miles now. Still completely happy with them. They are just summer only street tires at the end of the day... and very affordable.
Thanks, yeah I didn't drive much yet, just 100 miles, but they are too loud and as far as I know tires won't get quieter... will keep posted if all good after 1k miles, I'm thinking to get another set for my nissan, but for now I just need to wait and drive

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Yeah there is a definite increase in road noise but I was willing to accept that as the trade off for the other aspects (hopefully). They seem to be wearing very well as well considering how the compound felt (softer stickier utqg200). The wet weather conditions vastly improved once broke in. Initially they were pretty scary in the rain.

OP
OP
KYRGYZ

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yeah there is a definite increase in road noise but I was willing to accept that as the trade off for the other aspects (hopefully). They seem to be wearing very well as well considering how the compound felt (softer stickier utqg200). The wet weather conditions vastly improved once broke in. Initially they were pretty scary in the rain.
we don't have rains here until probably October-November :D and even then I'll be keeping them through the winter, since it never goes below 40 and no snow obviously :) I have my all season just in case

cmnuwin

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback EX 2017
Country flag
Hey! Any update on the tires? Looking to pair these with some Enkei Raijin 18x8 +40mm for my Civic Hatchback EX but I don't know, some reviews praise them as god tires and others are just filled with regret

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They survived a nasty pothole I hit recently. Still on the car 25 degrees outside snow and ice and its still driveable......all in all they continue to impress and exceed what they should be asked of.... highly recommended for the money...wow

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Hey! Any update on the tires? Looking to pair these with some Enkei Raijin 18x8 +40mm for my Civic Hatchback EX but I don't know, some reviews praise them as god tires and others are just filled with regret
I have the Riken Raptor ZR All Seasons which are different from the summer tires (235/40/18) and I love them. They are a tad bit more noisy but its not bad by any means. Tires handle Soo much beter than my firestones and also has markedly better performance in wet conditions. I accidentally drove through a flooded road at 35 mph in the dead of the night through a really narrow road and the car/tires didnt even waver and just plowed right through. Comfort is also good enough for me. I havent broke them in fully yet though so they will only get better. Overall im actually happy I got these, maybe the all season version of these are more different than I thought.
Sponsored