Right Rear Tire Losing PSI Fast

alika94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Long story short, I was driving monday and the tire pressure light came on I went out and checked all the tires they were all a little low, but even. I said whatever filled em up a little at the gas station the weathers gotten a lot colder here no big deal.

Now today on the way to work the tire pressure warning came on again so I checked all the tires and they're all at the same level except the right rear tire. It has gone down 5psi since monday.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I'm taking it to goodyear tomorrow since I work until 1am tonight.. really hope I don't need to buy a new tire..
Sponsored

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
you most likely have a slow leak some where. if you have the know how. i would pull the tire off and grab a spray bottle of soapy water. spray around the rim where it meets the tire and the valve and check for leaks. then spray on the tire itself and check for punctures.

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Long story short, I was driving monday and the tire pressure light came on I went out and checked all the tires they were all a little low, but even. I said whatever filled em up a little at the gas station the weathers gotten a lot colder here no big deal.

Now today on the way to work the tire pressure warning came on again so I checked all the tires and they're all at the same level except the right rear tire. It has gone down 5psi since monday.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I'm taking it to goodyear tomorrow since I work until 1am tonight.. really hope I don't need to buy a new tire..
As the other poster said, probably a slow tire leak. A lot of large tire chains tend to do tire repair for extremely cheap to encourage you to buy your next set of tires from them, which is usually doable as long as the puncture isn't in the sidewall of the tire.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Could be a nail or screw into the tire. Auto parts stores sell tire plug kits, which require a little muscle to use, but I've had good luck with them.

frnkp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Si and 2016 Civic LX Coupe (6spd)
Vehicle Showcase
Could be a nail or screw into the tire. Auto parts stores sell tire plug kits, which require a little muscle to use, but I've had good luck with them.
you really shouldn't plug a radial and basically all tire these days are radials.. if it does in fact have a screw/nail in it, it should be taken off the wheel and patched.

frnkp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Si and 2016 Civic LX Coupe (6spd)
Vehicle Showcase
you most likely have a slow leak some where. if you have the know how. i would pull the tire off and grab a spray bottle of soapy water. spray around the rim where it meets the tire and the valve and check for leaks. then spray on the tire itself and check for punctures.
also, check the valve stem, I've recently found one on my 06 with a defective valve core (only cost me a few cents to replace)

snbns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - MSM
Country flag
I actually have the same exact problem. The one affected is the rear right tire as well. Light came on, and I checked the pressure and it was at 19 PSI. Filled it up to 32 PSI, and about 5 days later light came back on again, and the right rear tire is down to 25.5 PSI while all the other tires remain fine.

OP, did you ever find out what was the matter with your right rear tire?

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I actually have the same exact problem. The one affected is the rear right tire as well. Light came on, and I checked the pressure and it was at 19 PSI. Filled it up to 32 PSI, and about 5 days later light came back on again, and the right rear tire is down to 25.5 PSI while all the other tires remain fine.

OP, did you ever find out what was the matter with your right rear tire?
I've had this issue a half dozen times, it's always a puncture somewhere. I usually buy my tires locally so they'll fix it for free.

canalrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Amazing… I also have a slow leak in the right rear tire. The 2017 Civic sedan touring is about one month old. After about two weeks the tire drops to 25 or so psi. I've had it checked twice at the dealer for nails – both times negative. Both times they said they re-mounted the tire and adjusted PSI and recalibration.

I wonder if there is a right rear tire gremlin.

If this happens a third time, would your recommendation be to go back to the dealer or should I just go to a tire store to have them check for a leak?

Barry.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Very unlikely it's a defective tire or rim - take a hard look at the valve stem & valve core with a soapsud test. As last resort mount to another rim and see what happens. A quality tire shop would have put tire/rim in a tub of water by now and looked for where the air loss is occurring.

Monkeyelvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T Aegean Blue
Country flag
2016 EX-T. My right rear does it too. TPMS goes off about every 7 days and i've verified that it goes down to about 25-26 psi. All 3 of the other tires are fine. This is highly annoying...and wierd that others are having the exact same issue

canalrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
I wonder what's going on? Why is it always the right-rear tire?

Mine goes down to 25 or 26 in about 10 days. I'm going to take the advice a previous poster and bring it to a real tire shop next time. I'll have them do the soap bubble test and find out where the problem really is. I think it is likely the valve/stem/core as he mentioned.

Barry.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
My granddaughter just had her brother find a 4 inch nail in her slow leaker she has had for over 6 months and with a cross-country trip to boot. It had been "inspected" several times by several tire repair shops and one dealer. The head of the nail was in the tread area and worn so smooth it was barely visible when he found it. Years ago I had a similar "find" when having replacement tires installed - the nail was clearly visible on the inside of the tire but it had never leaked!

1hondaguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
I wonder what's going on? Why is it always the right-rear tire?

Mine goes down to 25 or 26 in about 10 days. I'm going to take the advice a previous poster and bring it to a real tire shop next time. I'll have them do the soap bubble test and find out where the problem really is. I think it is likely the valve/stem/core as he mentioned.

Barry.
Mine is doing the exact same on right rear. Losing 1 pound of pressure every day. Low pressure every 10 days after only 3000 miles. I'm going to do the soap water test on valve stem and core before removing wheel for visual.

canalrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
This is amazing!
I wonder what's going on – it always seems like it's the right rear tire.

It took two trips to the dealer for me.
The first visit, they searched for nails, refilled the tire to the correct pressure, and sent me and my way.
The second visit, I think they re-mounted tire, and maybe replaced the valve cartridge. The work order did not specify.
After the second visit the problem seems to been solved.

I only have 800 miles on the car. It was probably at 200 miles when the problem began, 400 miles when it was fixed.

With 3000 miles I might check carefully for a nail embedded in the tire. I had a nail cause a simiilar leak many years ago with a different car.

Barry.
Sponsored