jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
https://jalopnik.com/honda-is-reviving-the-passport-and-this-time-its-not-an-1830641908

This is a bit of old news but I saw this article about Honda bringing back the more off road centric Honda Passport and it honestly looks really promising! They're saying that it will basically bridge the gap between the CRV and Pilot. I have never been a fan of the 2012-Present CRV styling so it will be cool to see Honda finally release an SUV that is smaller than the Pilot but not a CRV. You guys think this is going to be a promising vehicle?

Honda Civic 10th gen Revival of the Honda Passport! honda-passport-suv-spy-photo

Honda Civic 10th gen Revival of the Honda Passport! honda-passport-suv-spy-photo

mitch96

First Name
mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Coupe
Country flag
So where does this fit?? (no pun intended) HR V? CR V? Pilot?
mitch

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
Honestly I think this is very smart for Honda. Crossovers are what are selling in the U.S. right now so they need something to pick up the slack of the declining sales of Accords. The Pilot is great but it is pretty big. The CR-V is just a tad too small. I imagine this won't be that burly despite them showing it in the dirt, given its Pilot heritage and its a Honda (a Honda XTerra would be awesome but that's probably not realistic), but the size should be that Goldilocks size that is just right. They're saying it is based on the Pilot. I wish it were based on the new RDX's platform as that is unique and killer. I also really hope it gets the 2.0T instead of the V6. Great engine. We'll see tomorrow.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
So where does this fit?? (no pun intended) HR V? CR V? Pilot?
mitch

HRV --> CRV--> PASSPORT --> PILOT

The Passport is likely a 2-row Pilot... or a upsized CRV. Keep slicing the pie and keep printing Money!

Much like Ford has:

ECOSPORT --> ESCAPE --> EDGE --> EXPLORER

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I wonder what they did to make it more "off-road worthy" will be interesting to see.

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Seeing GM's news today, it makes perfect sense for Honda to add 1 more SUV.

It's quite obvious to see that Crossovers are the future.
You're right! I think the Civic I have now is the last one for me. I see myself getting a crossover for my next vehicle.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Well....I just don't know. It's very similar to the Pilot. It could pass for a Pilot Sport.

46079391111_75897f224c_o.png
Hate the trend of all cars looking the same from manufacturers calling it a "design language". It pretty much is a Pilot Sport, all they did was shrink the pilot and slapped the "passport" name on it and behold, Honda's latest entry into the crossover market. Not saying its a bad thing but they could have put in more effort to make it look a little different. Seems like they got lazy.

Last edited:

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had 2 CRVs and 1 Pilot and loved them all. However, Pilot is just too large for me to justify at this point for me and the CR-V seems a tad boring (although the new CR-V is much better than the old 3rd gen and 4th gen CR-Vs I had) . Passport seems like a nice mix between the two. After giving it 2 years to go through any initial build quality issues, this is seriously on my radar to perhaps purchase.

CE1_nobling

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX 6sp , 1997 Honda Accord EX Wagon , 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CrewCab 6.0
Country flag
Hate the trend of all cars looking the same from manufacturers calling it a "design language". It pretty much is a Pilot Sport, all they did was shrink the pilot and slapped the "passport" name on it and behold, Honda's latest entry into the crossover market. Not saying its a bad thing but they could have put in more effort to make it look a little different. Seems like they got lazy.
Agreed , as much effort that they put into disguising it , you would of thought they went with a whole new design. But nope , behold the 2/3 Pilot with a few more inches of ground clearance.

Last edited:

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Read the autoblog article and found out it comes with the 3.5 V6 as I hoped, so the car will be no slouch. I know people love turbos and they are killing the V6 but I honestly love the sound of that 3.5 with that buttery smooth power delivery and the rock solid reliability. Turbos may offer better down low torque and be better power wise, but a V6 to me feels better and its something a turbo 4 will never match. Probably the best thing about the car for me imo.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like it. The styling reminds me a lot of the 4th gen Subaru Forester. It has that classic look to it. Price-wise, it will be expensive, I think. For me, Honda is just too high on their lease pricing. I would love to lease a new Passport when my Forester lease is up, but I know I can lease a $30k Forester for at least $100 cheaper per month than a $30k Honda.

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I'm disappointed with the new Passport. It looks too much like the Pilot and the Ridgeline. Would of liked it to have it's own identity. It's still a cool looking vehicle though.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda said this was intentional. It's growing on me more and more. I always liked the Pilot but felt it was too big. I had a 2007 Pilot, that was my first Honda.

I love my CRV but the Passport has even more room without being too big.

Sharp!

fe514e5f-b663-41cf-8938-6ed094f17d3b-12_2019_Honda_Passport.jpg
I agree with you. I think it will be a good size. The CRV/Forester platform is a good size but is a little snug when you load it up with people and stuff. Can't argue with the 32mpg on the highway though. If they can bring in the Passport at a very attractive price point with good lease rates, I would consider it when my Forester lease is up in about a year.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
CR-V is currently $25-33K before extras

Pilot is currently $33-42k before extras.

I forsee a slight bump in Pilot prices, and the Passport sits in the $29-38k range

In the old days, the German cars (think Mercedes C/E/S class sedans) were sometimes mocked for being the "same sausage, just different lengths" and here is the same thing.. Same "familiar styling" available in XS, S, M, L (or S, M, L, XL)
Sponsored