First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 hatchback sport
Country flag
Hello Everyone!!!
I have a 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback (CVT)
Mod List so far:
Greddy DD exhaust non resonated
PRL cobra CAI
ETL cooler
(waiting for my sirimoto flex fuel kit, on backorder with no estimated ship date)
Removed weight, took out back seats, carpeting back there, and spare tire

I recently got the CVT trans cooler by ETL performance.
Link: https://etlperformanceproducts.com/products/transmission-oil-cooler-kit-honda-civic-cvt
First things first, this is a BITCH to install, mainly the part that links directly to the cvt filter.
It took me 3ish hours to get it right without leaks. For the performance overall, I notice a decrease in temps. I haven't done pulls with it yet, but that's because I'm waiting for more HCF-2 fluid since it drained me 4 times when I powered on the ignition, drained all of that cvt fluid, luckily only had a few quarts in there, then just added 1 just to make sure it wasn't leaking. I had to adjust it 3 times. The reason it's a pain is because, the engine bay is already cramped especially in that area.
After finally getting it so there's no leaks, I went out on a drive for around 1 hour on the highway, sometimes my temp got at around 215-225 during spirited driving. With this I didn't even cross the 200 mark.
One bit of advice, when installing this, don't use the method they show which is mounting it in the wheel well if you have the PRL CAI. I couldn't fit it there, so I mounted it in front of the radiator, right on that black bar when you take the bumper cover off. I ran the hoses through, over the CAI and through that little opening to the cooler. I will post an update on this once I fill her back up to the 3.9 quarts that are required so I can do a few big pulls and report my temps here. But so far a very very noticeable difference which can help prolong your transmission's life!

Future plans: waiting for sirimoto flex fuel kit
some NRG 800 series seats
MAP DP and FP
W1 Turbo
Custom tune
Great write up man. I actually just ordered this earlier today. ETLā€™s website has a unadvertised 4th of July sale and I ended up getting it for $183 shipped. Where exactly were you getting the leak?
Sponsored

OP
OP

galarianash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Great write up man. I actually just ordered this earlier today. ETLā€™s website has a unadvertised 4th of July sale and I ended up getting it for $183 shipped. Where exactly were you getting the leak?
The leak wasnā€™t necessarily a ā€œleak.ā€ i had to torque the part down that attaches to the metal plate a lot. took several tried and i had to hollow out the top right hole on the pump with a drill bit because one of the bolts wouldnā€™t fit through it

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17ā€™ Si FC3, 17ā€™ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22ā€™ RL RTL-E
Country flag
PXL_20220517_193525099.MP.jpg
For anyone wondering, it still can be mounted with the PRL CAI. Just gotta have a few spare parts on hand.

e40 custom tune from IMW (27PSI)
RV6 r365 turbo
PRL turbo inlet
Race MAF
Skunk 2 intake manifold
Mishimoto FMIC full kit
3" catless downpipe
3" front pipe.
Forge BPV
Oil cooler
Etc

This cooler is a massive improvement, keeping my transmission temps reasonable even under extreme driving conditions. The cooler provided could be better, but that can be easily changed for something larger and more effective.
I dont mean to be the bearer of bad news, but your condenser is leaking.

chmst

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic EX-L 6mt Si swapped from CVT
Country flag
I dont mean to be the bearer of bad news, but your condenser is leaking.
I learned something new today šŸ˜‚ (not trolling, I really had no idea what that spot was, I just assumed I somehow got oil/grease on it)
My a/c has not worked since ~5k total miles and I haven't bothered to even take it in under warranty/look into it.

Thanks!

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17ā€™ Si FC3, 17ā€™ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22ā€™ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I learned something new today šŸ˜‚ (not trolling, I really had no idea what that spot was, I just assumed I somehow got oil/grease on it)
My a/c has not worked since ~5k total miles and I haven't bothered to even take it in under warranty/look into it.
Thanks!
I canā€™t say for certain, but they may deny warranty coverage on that because it looks like somethings may have struck it and damaged it. Hard to tell. The pic isnt close up, but that is a lot of bent fins around the greasy area.

Zacaea

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic fk7
Country flag
Iā€™d like to know a bit more

1. How much fluid would need to be added to make up for the extra cooling

2. I have the lane departure and LKAS soIā€™d have to find a mounting spot in front of the radiator. Are there holes I could mount to?

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Iā€™d like to know a bit more

1. How much fluid would need to be added to make up for the extra cooling

2. I have the lane departure and LKAS soIā€™d have to find a mounting spot in front of the radiator. Are there holes I could mount to?
A few ounces extra. Also, I mounted mine to the black bar above the crash bar and radiator. I used one of the holes that is typically used by a clip for the engine cover above the radiator. and the second location for the bracket was janky, I just jammed it below my crash bar and intercooler (PRL). It doesn't move the intercooler and the right angle bracket goes between there. It's pretty secure and doesn't move. Keeps the radiator in the center of the grill. Big difference in temps.

verzachaye

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hey Bootleg Bill! I'll attach some here, I already put on the front bumper so I don't have pics of the mounting points, but i just dead centered them on the black beam. The black beam is under the weather stripping for the front, and to mount it there, all I did was put it in front of the radiator. The second one is a pic of the cvt cooler in the mounting spot, I just need to straighten out the fins a bit.

F74D209B-3DC8-4C21-A189-06FEE47EF58C.jpeg

D86CC9FB-6C44-4A16-88BD-A96BCE5AE84B.jpeg
Does the top hose from the ETL plate go to the top port on the cooler itself? and same with the bottom hose?

BrandonB

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport Hatch
Country flag
Does the top hose from the ETL plate go to the top port on the cooler itself? and same with the bottom hose?
Thatā€™s what I did considering the installation directions are pretty vague. I followed like others and mounted mine in the grille as well.

Iā€™m going to add an extra 1/2 quart and do the steps after a pan drain/refill and remove the overflow bolt just to get it exactly right.
Honda Civic 10th gen Review of the ETL CVT Cooler IMG_3658
Sponsored