Review: Cooper RS3-G1 UHP-AS Tire

CosmicX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6M
Country flag
2016 Sedan 2.0 with 6 speed manual. Car came stock with the Hankook Kinergy GT's. I had a really good experience with those. 90000 miles (95% highway), gripped great wet or dry, not so hot in the snow. So, a pretty high bar was set.
Coopers have been on since mid December, almost 10000 miles on them. These are some seriously grippy tires! It is almost a challenge to get them to break loose, even a little bit (car is almost stock, only mod is a CTR RSB). They are a somewhat heavy tire, weighing 24 lbs each (215-55R-16). I stayed with stock size, and the stock wheels. Noise is there, but not terrible. The Hankooks were quiet when new, but became loud with age. The Coopers are a little loud when new, but are not getting any louder, yet anyhow.
Pros: grip! Dry grip is fantastic. Wet grip is fantastic. Snow grip is average. I hit light snow and ice a couple times. Not impressed on ice, snow was meh, so so. The trade off is wet/dry grip though. Really sticks to the road in the rain. They corner on wet roads like the Hankooks did on dry! They track straighter then the Hankooks did at highway speeds. The Hankooks never really would settle on center on the highway. The Coopers are better at that. Impacts and potholes seem to not deflect the tires much. The tread thickness and sidewall thickness may be responsible for that.
Cons: MPG's are down, compared to the Hankooks. I would say I have lost 3-4 MPGs, on average. I guess the grip comes with a price. Noise is present, but not annoyingly bad. Probably more to do with the Civics lack of sound-proofing. I do not consider these tires 'loud', nor are they quiet. I would not buy these tires if you drive on snow for any length of time. They may be 'All Season', but I did not feel super confident on the snow.
Best use: rainy environments. They might not be the best UHP tire in the rain, but they are plenty good in it. I have not really had any warm, dry days to test cornering, but I expect it will be a great tire for that.
I bought these from Discount Tire online, on a black friday deal. Came in at about $306 for the set, after rebates, so about $77 each. Had them mounted and balanced locally for $60. Pretty happy with the tires so far. Looking forward to summer, and testing the dry grip in the warm :)
Sponsored