Reversing - So many close calls, poor visibility in the back, already small accident

Rayve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white Civic VTI-LX (Touring equivalent)
Country flag
You should check the alignment of your guidelines by going into a carpark with an extra lined park behind you or similar. I had to adjust the guidelines across a bit when I actually did a physical check of the alignment.
Sponsored

OP
OP
van604

van604

2016 Civic Touring
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronaldleestudios.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
You should check the alignment of your guidelines by going into a carpark with an extra lined park behind you or similar. I had to adjust the guidelines across a bit when I actually did a physical check of the alignment.
Are the guidelines adjustable?

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
And how accurate are the guides that are superimposed on the screen? Do they represent the tires? The corner of the back of your car? If we backup juuusttt past something that is juuusst beside the outside edge of the line, are our cars safe from rubbing against something?
You should be using the guides as a ballpark and using your side mirrors to make sure you don't hit anything on the corners. You NEED to use your side mirrors along with the camera.

If your side mirrors are setup so the very inside edge just barely shows the back corner of your car you shouldn't have a problem.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Just to be clear, the normal view is actually a wide angel view (I am a photographer).

The other wide view is a super wide view.

Is this how Honda calls them?
I hear you, I have my share of lenses. Yes, Honda calls them wide view, normal view, and top down view. I think a truly normal view would not be very useful as a backup camera, as it wouldn't show nearly enough. It would be like trying to fit everybody into a group picture using a 50mm fixed lens.

Rayve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white Civic VTI-LX (Touring equivalent)
Country flag
Are the guidelines adjustable?
Yes, this video, while for the HRV worked for me. Basically you hold the audio / menu and day night buttons down for a few seconds to access the setup menu. Watch the video, it will explain it all.

HondasRun4ever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe
Country flag
I guess I'm one of those old dogs that can't be taught new tricks. I never look at the back-up camera. I turn my head when backing up. Hasn't failed me yet.

chokesmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX Manual 2016
Country flag
And how accurate are the guides that are superimposed on the screen? Do they represent the tires? The corner of the back of your car? If we backup juuusttt past something that is juuusst beside the outside edge of the line, are our cars safe from rubbing against something?
The lines on the side actually represent your car with enough space to open the doors and get out.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
The lines on the side actually represent your car with enough space to open the doors and get out.
So you're saying that if I put the line directly on a lot line, I will still find some room from side of car to line, and the tires won't be sitting on the line when I'm done?

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
No, I noticed that myself :) And honestly, why would it make sense that the lines a flush with your car?
For sure flush with the car wouldn't make sense. I wish there was also an overall view that showed the position of your car with respect to the parking spot (ie - if you're crooked or straight). I've seen it in other cars, where it generates an image using data from all cameras. I guess we'd also need a left side roadwatch for that.

chokesmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX Manual 2016
Country flag
For sure flush with the car wouldn't make sense. I wish there was also an overall view that showed the position of your car with respect to the parking spot (ie - if you're crooked or straight). I've seen it in other cars, where it generates an image using data from all cameras. I guess we'd also need a left side roadwatch for that.
Yeah for that it would need cameras all around. But when you back up and you straighten the wheels the straight lines on the side give you an idea if you are about to be crooked in the parking spot. I needed a while to get used to it and I still get parked slightly crooked when I'm in a hurry.

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
I have not had any issues thus far with backing into spaces ( I back in 99% of the time anywhere I park).

I use the side mirrors and physically turning to look initially, then when I am in the process of backing into the space (or area) then I use the side mirrors for orientation and the camera view to judge distance from the back of the car to the line (or whatever) that I am backing up to.

I have found that allowing for the dotted line on the camera view to be slightly over the line/curb/obstacle/etc. I am backing up to allows to be a bit tighter into the space than if I kept it in front. I don't want to be sticking out too far in the front.

View attachment 42509

Last edited:

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I too don't have any problems backing up this car. The Hatch seems like it would be harder than the Sedan but I haven't driven one.

When I was a kid I drove my parent's VW Westfalia Vanagon. No camera and no visibility. You learn to use the side mirrors when you drive a van. This car is easy. :D

I taught my son to drive in my Civic. The back-up camera helped him ace his maneuverability test. The inner-most partial line is about 6 inches from the rear bumper.

I brought over an exercise I use as a flight instructor to teach new pilots how to taxi the plane with wings that stick out 80 feet on each side. Have a friend stand at each corner while you have the car in reverse. You can get an idea of what various objects look like close to the car, then have them walk in a line away from the car to give you an idea of how the perspective changes as objects get closer to the car.

Finally, get some empty weather bottles, lay them out in line with the sides of the car then try to back the car over them. This will teach you where the edges of the car are.
Sponsored