Reversing - So many close calls, poor visibility in the back, already small accident

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
I too don't have any problems backing up this car. The Hatch seems like it would be harder than the Sedan but I haven't driven one.

When I was a kid I drove my parent's VW Westfalia Vanagon. No camera and no visibility. You learn to use the side mirrors when you drive a van. This car is easy. :D

I taught my son to drive in my Civic. The back-up camera helped him ace his maneuverability test. The inner-most partial line is about 6 inches from the rear bumper.

I brought over an exercise I use as a flight instructor to teach new pilots how to taxi the plane with wings that stick out 80 feet on each side. Have a friend stand at each corner while you have the car in reverse. You can get an idea of what various objects look like close to the car, then have them walk in a line away from the car to give you an idea of how the perspective changes as objects get closer to the car.

Finally, get some empty weather bottles, lay them out in line with the sides of the car then try to back the car over them. This will teach you where the edges of the car are.

You probably know my friend then. He is also a flight pilot and he both flies and also instructs.

He had an '07 Accord which ran well until the engine blew up (had an issue for almost 4 years that he was too lazy to address). It still bulldozed as long as it could tho. Shows how good Hondas are! It had 199K on it when it finally died.

Now he has an 06 CRV, and he's gonna end up doing the same to it probably.

Keep in mind this guy is a mechanic and is licensed to service airplanes too.

Go figure!
Sponsored

ScottJesusSaved

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I just bought a 2015 Civic LX 5 months ago-I had a 2002 Lexus LS 430 before. I could see everything. The Civic has true visibility limitations. But it is trimmed of all unnecessary weight and extra car space, as a smaller car it is easy to handle-and I get twice the gas mileage!
But, this car is tiny in window space, I back in park a lot. I bought this version because of the back up camera as a main help. But everyday use it's not practical. I like what it shows at night a little better. I am an ex-driving instructor.
Never rely on the camera completely. The few things you can do is back up SLOWLY, stopping intermittently, but best is right before you start backing out, beep your horn a couple times and once more as you are backing out people don't always see a moving car but recognize honking.
Take the patience to back in when you can. People can wait while you do what's best.
When parking backing in check your dotted line in relation to the curb in the camera. Get out and see the actual! I was way off at first. This can give you a tangible idea of rear space. What I could use is a front of car camera. I find it hard to judge where the front is.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Uhhh... never had a problem with visibility using the camera.... how did you do that?!
Agreed, I love the rear camera. I usually have it in “wide angle” mode, especially when backing up because it picks up cross traffic. For some reason, the lines and angles of the car make it hard to judge sometimes. But I find the rear camera is great.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I usually use the wide angle and have no issues. I even have limited view of sidewalk due to fence but still able to see people if go slowly. Also people should be able to hear me considering exhaust.

I think pics below prove that even though you can't see much backing up especially in si and I imagine type r due to spoilers on top of poor visibility the camera on 10th gen with wide angle allows you to see around blind spots even better than old civics (had 05 with good back visibility but no backup camera). I speak from personal experience backing out of second garage with different model civics. If you can't use camera you are either blind (I am without contacts) or can't figure out how to look at camera and back up at same time.

Honda Civic 10th gen Reversing - So many close calls, poor visibility in the back, already small accident IMG_20230610_121107664_HDR

Honda Civic 10th gen Reversing - So many close calls, poor visibility in the back, already small accident IMG_20230610_123252292_HDR

Last edited:

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just bought a 2015 Civic LX 5 months ago-I had a 2002 Lexus LS 430 before. I could see everything. The Civic has true visibility limitations. But it is trimmed of all unnecessary weight and extra car space, as a smaller car it is easy to handle-and I get twice the gas mileage!
The 2015 Civic is a 9th gen. I think you find there’s a big difference between the 9th gen and 10th gen rear visibility and rear camera.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The 2015 Civic is a 9th gen. I think you find there’s a big difference between the 9th gen and 10th gen rear visibility and rear camera.
Well least he was only one year off.

RookieOfTheGear

First Name
Ay Ay Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Honda Civic Si (Coupe)
Country flag
use your wide angle reverse camera and you should not have any issues.
For me for going forward is where I have the most talent i have perfected the art form Hit & Run. I’ve hit an older black lady I dipped out quick then I hit an Asian girl I dipped and finally I hit a Mexican woman and bounced on the double out of there. All that is left is on the list is to hit a white person and a maybe a Middle Eastern person and I’ll change my license plate to zodiac killer. Is my bumper messed up? U know it! Was I speeding? Premium gas equals fast. Under the influence? You can’t prove that . Insurance still cheap? Cheaper than dirt. The secret is to not hit the brakes instead hit the clutch pedal and hold it down in the split seconds right before impact so you don’t stall out, if done correctly the engine will still be spinning and you can slam it into 1st gear and be on your way to like a bolt of lightning. It’s important that you don’t return to the area ever again, if you’re foolish enough to have front license plates make sure they didn’t betray you by falling off at the scene of the crime.