Rozer95

First Name
Rosario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 Sport+ MY 2020
Country flag
Proud owner of a MY 2020 Honda Civic hatchback 10th gen, 1.5 Turbo VTEC manual transmission Sport Plus EU version. It's got 850 km now. Great car but it's got a bad problem. Sometimes the transmission won't go in reverse gear at all or else it's just hard to get in. When the engine is off it's way easier to get it in reverse. When the engine is on and the car is in neutral and then I try to put it in reverse, sometimes there's no way to pull the shifter down in R. If it's in first gear and then I try to put it in reverse it's a little bit smoother but still hard. This might just be an impression though.
So I brought the car to the dealer earlier today and they told me it's normal. How the f can they say that's normal as it's clearly not normal. What they told me exactly was that the reverse gear on the Civic doesn't have the syncronizer/selector whatever and it's gonna get better by time. Yea let me guess it's gonna get better when the warranty ends?
Now I'm wondering is this happening to you all as it's supposed to be normal or does it only affect a bunch of unfortunate 10th gen Civic?
So if you were me what would you do now?
Thanks for the attention.

P.S.: no problem at all with forward gears.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
Reverse on every manual car ive owned has taken twice the effort to to into gear compared to gears 1-6. Just make sure you come to a complete stop. Just man handle her into gear.

TheRedGlacier

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1994 Trans Am, 1963 Corvette
Country flag
Reverse gear in our Si's is not synchronized, so the gear may not always be lined up for a clean gear change. I would not recommend "man-handling" your shifter. I typically shift into third, and then reverse. It lines the gear up for ya nice and smoothly. Also, make sure not to even touch reverse while you are moving, as it'll grind, unlike many other manual cars.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Rozer95 , is your first manual ? Yes, you have to learn how to.

It is my 5th car with manual

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
Hes 24 and im assuming its his first manual. Hes probably thinking reverse should feel like the rest of the gears. Using the force needed to push it into revers can seem like "man handling" compared to going into first.

Or just do what he said above and go from a different gear to reverse to line up the reverse gear. Neither will hurt your car.

Tothemax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Shift into any forward gear first, then into reverse as this will line up the gears better. I had the same issue, i changed out to Acuity shifter bushing & Amsoil MTF. Goes into R every single time now without having to go into a forward gear, EVERY time!

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'll see another dealer.
In my answer, the first of all, I took for granted that the member of the forum knows how a manual car works.
It may not always be the case as I read it.

OP
OP

Rozer95

First Name
Rosario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 Sport+ MY 2020
Country flag
I appreciate the help a lot thanks, I'm glad the transmission works fine then, I'm just not used to this kind of manual transmission cause I've always been driven manual cars in my life, mostly old cars of my family. My dad's Fiat Punto model year 95, my mom's Fiat 600 my 2002, my brother's Ford Focus my 2004 and I even drive manual cars at work: the new Fiat Panda and Grande Punto, all of them are manual cars but in noone of them I've ever experienced that "issue". So let me say I know what a manual transmission is and how it works, well the one on the Civic is just different then, that's all. :)

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My other cars with MT, all Toyota , works same as my Honda

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Proud owner of a MY 2020 Honda Civic hatchback 10th gen, 1.5 Turbo VTEC manual transmission Sport Plus EU version. It's got 850 km now. Great car but it's got a bad problem. Sometimes the transmission won't go in reverse gear at all or else it's just hard to get in. When the engine is off it's way easier to get it in reverse. When the engine is on and the car is in neutral and then I try to put it in reverse, sometimes there's no way to pull the shifter down in R. If it's in first gear and then I try to put it in reverse it's a little bit smoother but still hard. This might just be an impression though.
So I brought the car to the dealer earlier today and they told me it's normal. How the f can they say that's normal as it's clearly not normal. What they told me exactly was that the reverse gear on the Civic doesn't have the syncronizer/selector whatever and it's gonna get better by time. Yea let me guess it's gonna get better when the warranty ends?
Now I'm wondering is this happening to you all as it's supposed to be normal or does it only affect a bunch of unfortunate 10th gen Civic?
So if you were me what would you do now?
Thanks for the attention.

P.S.: no problem at all with forward gears.
if you cant get in reverse gear dont force it, usualy it is enough to put in 1st and move forward for an inch and then try again so those gears realign themselves....
Sponsored