Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA1 NSX
Country flag
Hi guys,

This is long over due, but here goes.

I saw a deal for a budget coilover from a company called Rev9 for the crackhead price of $476 shipped from Redline360, a vendor here on the forum. There didn’t seem to be any reviews online for the 10th Gen Civic so I decided to take a gamble.

Honda Civic 10th gen Rev9 Coilovers Finally Installed - Full Review s5gXd0a

If you want to know if these are worth the price, I’ll get straight to the point: These coilovers are exactly what you would expect for the price. They’re pretty stiff, the fronts won’t drop the car as you would expect from any other coilover, and the finish quality is very lackluster.

The verdict is this: If you’re not looking to slam your car, and are okay with a very stiff ride over stock, I’d say these aren’t a bad buy.

Update 4/9/19:
Don't buy these. Rear shocks blew already. Waste of time to try and get any kind of warranty or your money back, see my post below for more details.

That’s the short answer.

If you’re sticking around for the full review, let’s start from the top…

I’ve gambled on coilovers before. When Megans first came out, I bought them. I felt they were fine. I’ve had D2’s before anyone was really rockin ‘em, they too were fine. I've had even the most basic Teins and they were also acceptable.

I’d rank these coilovers just right below everything I’ve mentioned and right above Raceland, and any other eBay coilover.

First off, out the box the powder coat was already chipping.

Honda Civic 10th gen Rev9 Coilovers Finally Installed - Full Review GCuqzo

This means that over time, the finish is probably gonna wear off faster and rust or corrosion can be an issue if you ever need to adjust these things later. They’ll probably get stuck.

Next, (and this is my major issue) these don’t really give you the ability to lower your car all that much. In fact, when I first got them, with the pre-load adjusted properly and the shock body set to the absolute lowest setting, it was STILL ALMOST AT STOCK HEIGHT.

For comparison, this is the vehicle when I purchased it at stock height:

Honda Civic 10th gen Rev9 Coilovers Finally Installed - Full Review HQbq8RI

Here it is with the proper preload set at the LOWEST setting up front:

Honda Civic 10th gen Rev9 Coilovers Finally Installed - Full Review xW4rvtV

That’s just not acceptable for a coilover, especially when they claim that it’ll lower the car up to 3 inches. That’s just not true.

You can technically get it lower if you bottom out the spring collars as well, but the ride would just be so unbearably bouncy and unstable that you'd be a road hazard.

I sent this info to Redline360 who graciously worked with Rev9 to get me a shorter shock body. The one they ended up sending me still wasn’t much shorter than the previous one...but an improvement. Furthermore, based on that feedback Rev9 said they would be pairing the shorter shock body for every 10th Gen Civic coilover they produce going forward. Here's a comparison for what they sent:

Honda Civic 10th gen Rev9 Coilovers Finally Installed - Full Review T9ulzxr

So at least that’s better for anyone making that purchase going forward. Being completely honest, I still think it could be at least one inch shorter and that would be perfect.

Anyway, with what they sent me I was at LEAST able to set the pre-load correctly so I wasn’t bouncing all over the place while allowing my car 1 finger gap from tire to fender all around. I imagine that’s about similar to the Eibach Prokit springs. For the record, my plan never really was to slam my car, but when buying a coilover you SHOULD have the option to.

Here's where I ended up:

Honda Civic 10th gen Rev9 Coilovers Finally Installed - Full Review 47ekZGm

The last thing, as I stated before is the ride quality. The spring rates are a little on the high side so that’s just going to result in a much stiffer ride. You can set the dampening of the shock to be softer, but the ride doesn’t really bother me that much.

The bright side to all of this is the perches ARE pillowball mounts, so that does put them a cut above a lot of the most basic eBay brands, and the price is...well, it’s cheap. Personally, I don't think the gamble paid off for me and I will most likely be upgrading to another coilover within the year. They just don't drop low enough for me.

Hopefully this review was helpful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA1 NSX
Country flag
Here's an interesting follow up. From the time I wrote this post until now, the rear shocks blew completely. I had to go back to the OEM shocks, which was fine since they are separated. The car rides much better now, actually.

Upon contact with Rev9 through Redline360, Rev9 won't warranty, replace, or refund anything despite the horrible experience I've had with these coilovers thus far. They did offer me better pricing on a replacement, but why would I bother to throw money at a problem that was created by the way this product was designed?

They said that I adjusted the shock body on the rears way too low, which is why they blew. You can see them from the unboxing in the photo above -- thats how they came out of the box.

Honda Civic 10th gen Rev9 Coilovers Finally Installed - Full Review s5gxd0a-

I don't remember reading any specifics in their instructions on the proper setting for my application, and last: Why would you even add an adjustment on the shock to begin with if you know any setting beyond a specific point will blow the shock?

My guess is because they just have a bunch of random parts that come together to create a product for a specific application. Which is understandable in how they can cost so little.

I'm going to eat the cost on this little science experiment and let you guys know: Don't buy these.

5th 3l3ment

First Name
5Th 3l3ment
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Si
Country flag
Here's an interesting follow up. From the time I wrote this post until now, the rear shocks blew completely. I had to go back to the OEM shocks, which was fine since they are separated. The car rides much better now, actually.

Upon contact with Rev9 through Redline360, Rev9 won't warranty, replace, or refund anything despite the horrible experience I've had with these coilovers thus far. They did offer me better pricing on a replacement, but why would I bother to throw money at a problem that was created by the way this product was designed?

They said that I adjusted the shock body on the rears way too low, which is why they blew. You can see them from the unboxing in the photo above -- thats how they came out of the box.

s5gxd0a-jpg.jpg

I don't remember reading any specifics in their instructions on the proper setting for my application, and last: Why would you even add an adjustment on the shock to begin with if you know any setting beyond a specific point will blow the shock?

My guess is because they just have a bunch of random parts that come together to create a product for a specific application. Which is understandable in how they can cost so little.

I'm going to eat the cost on this little science experiment and let you guys know: Don't buy these.
What if your sitting on 19x8.5 wheels being that you are/were on stock wheels do you think the gap difference would be likely to happen due to wheel size?

OP
OP
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA1 NSX
Country flag
What if your sitting on 19x8.5 wheels being that you are/were on stock wheels do you think the gap difference would be likely to happen due to wheel size?
Hey, sorry for the late reply -- I don't think that the wheel size would compensate for the gap much at all in order to make this worth it.

Unless they've made changes from now until then, I don't think there is enough adjustability to have a decently lowered stance without compromising the integrity of the shock.

There are some applications in which I do think these coilovers work for -- the reviews are out there. I just don't think that applies for our cars.

5th 3l3ment

First Name
5Th 3l3ment
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey, sorry for the late reply -- I don't think that the wheel size would compensate for the gap much at all in order to make this worth it.

Unless they've made changes from now until then, I don't think there is enough adjustability to have a decently lowered stance without compromising the integrity of the shock.

There are some applications in which I do think these coilovers work for -- the reviews are out there. I just don't think that applies for our cars.
I guess the new Eibach Sportlines it will be thanks

5th 3l3ment

First Name
5Th 3l3ment
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Si
Country flag

Thanks

BanquoX

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L Navi
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know this post is old but I took a shot on this set for my hatch. I've got it sitting hoe I want and there is plenty of adjustment to go lower.
Honda Civic 10th gen Rev9 Coilovers Finally Installed - Full Review 20210709_181934

5th 3l3ment

First Name
5Th 3l3ment
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Si
Country flag
I know this post is old but I took a shot on this set for my hatch. I've got it sitting hoe I want and there is plenty of adjustment to go lower.
20210709_181934.jpg
Good shit now i got an idea on how it really looks my homie said those are great C.O for the price and quality

BanquoX

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good shit now i got an idea on how it really looks my homie said those are great C.O for the price and quality
This is after a couple days to settle.
I set the dampers to 16 clicks soft to hard to get in the middle. Ride isn't to bad after playing with rear pre load a bit. As you can see there is plenty of room to go lower. I'm not to sure why the op was having issues.
Honda Civic 10th gen Rev9 Coilovers Finally Installed - Full Review 20210710_151608
Honda Civic 10th gen Rev9 Coilovers Finally Installed - Full Review 20210710_151522
Honda Civic 10th gen Rev9 Coilovers Finally Installed - Full Review 20210710_151536
Honda Civic 10th gen Rev9 Coilovers Finally Installed - Full Review 20210710_151550

5th 3l3ment

First Name
5Th 3l3ment
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Si
Country flag
This is after a couple days to settle.
I set the dampers to 16 clicks soft to hard to get in the middle. Ride isn't to bad after playing with rear pre load a bit. As you can see there is plenty of room to go lower. I'm not to sure why the op was having issues.
20210710_151608.jpg
20210710_151522.jpg
20210710_151536.jpg
20210710_151550.jpg
I got that same DC motor strut bar 100% functional ???????? Any rubbing issues also how much of a gap do you have currently

BanquoX

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got that same DC motor strut bar 100% functional ???????? Any rubbing issues also how much of a gap do you have currently
No rubbing. Gave myself a 2 finger gap on all 4 corners. I'm on 17x8 wheels with 225 45 17 tires. But I have ordered 17x9 wheels with same offset and will use the same tire setup

5th 3l3ment

First Name
5Th 3l3ment
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Si
Country flag
No rubbing. Gave myself a 2 finger gap on all 4 corners. I'm on 17x8 wheels with 225 45 17 tires. But I have ordered 17x9 wheels with same offset and will use the same tire setup
Im on 18x8’s mine should be about .5-.75” im assuming

BanquoX

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got some new wheels. Also dropped half an inch in the front bottoming out the shock body. And dropped an inch more in the rear. I'd say 2 inch and change total drop.
Honda Civic 10th gen Rev9 Coilovers Finally Installed - Full Review 20210720_173447

5th 3l3ment

First Name
5Th 3l3ment
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Si
Country flag
Got some new wheels. Also dropped half an inch in the front bottoming out the shock body. And dropped an inch more in the rear. I'd say 2 inch and change total drop.
20210720_173447.jpg
Is that the sedan? Where you get them from i cant seem to find any for mine. Looks dope