Return of the INTEGRA TYPE R?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
big rip because the 2020 golfR's don't come with a manual anymore only dsg, said because the demand isn't worth the cost anymore. if your sniffing sti why not just get the type r?
Well you're 100% correct. Except you failed to mention that the 2020 GolfRs also do not come in DSGs. Because the 2020 GolfR come in Nil, nada. There isn't a 2020 Golf R for NA. :lol:

Manual or no manual for the Golf R has not been determined. However, it's confirmed the MK8 GTI will have manual option. The MK8 GTI will have 245HP and since both will be made in Germany, I will get the GTI if the R doesn't come in manual.

There's almost 0 chance for me to get the current CTR. Not be able to get any sensible daily tires is a deal breaker for me. I don't feel like having to replace my tires every 10 or 20 k miles and also have to swap winter and summer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Andruboine

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Neah I got the Si over the CTR not because I couldn't afford the CTR. It's just the CTR is just too track focus and requires some mods to make it daily worthy.
besides tires what other mods do you think it needs?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
besides tires what other mods do you think it needs?
I think nothing. The only tires you can get with the stock rims are Max Performance Summer or Max Performance Winter. That, imo, makes it not good for daily. If they bring in the model with the 19" rims and if there're good A/S tires for that size, then I'd have gone with that CTR.

The gas tank could be bigger, but not a deal breaker for me.

18TypeR-13922

First Name
ADM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR, 2022 MDX A-Spec, 2015 Accord EXL
Country flag
regarding the V6 the current Indy car spec is 2.2 liter V6 turbo growing to 2.4 in 2021.

Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Well you're 100% correct. Except you failed to mention that the 2020 GolfRs also do not come in DSGs. Because the 2020 GolfR come in Nil, nada. There isn't a 2020 Golf R for NA. :lol:

Manual or no manual for the Golf R has not been determined. However, it's confirmed the MK8 GTI will have manual option. The MK8 GTI will have 245HP and since both will be made in Germany, I will get the GTI if the R doesn't come in manual.

There's almost 0 chance for me to get the current CTR. Not be able to get any sensible daily tires is a deal breaker for me. I don't feel like having to replace my tires every 10 or 20 k miles and also have to swap winter and summer.
Well I came from a mk6 gti and the car was great but the second I got into the civic I loved it and have zero regrets, don't have to worry about the timing chain snapping at any given time or the carbon build up being an issue like the civics which both are not much of an issue at all on these cars. But the R is definetly a fun car I drove one but if I ever got one id love the r32 those models for me were so nice with a little drop and some nice rims that generation was sick

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
@bikejog
I used to own a MK6 GTI - loved the car and I feel the GTI is a great car overall. But the one thing that would concern me or would push me toward the CTR over the GolfR would be reliability. Honda has a long record of being very reliable and I would say if something was to break on the Honda - it would be cheaper to fix than the GolfR. Why not look to see if replacing out the wheels with 18s to offset the cost of tires (I know if i were to get a CTR - I would be looking at doing this).

Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
@bikejog
I used to own a MK6 GTI - loved the car and I feel the GTI is a great car overall. But the one thing that would concern me or would push me toward the CTR over the GolfR would be reliability. Honda has a long record of being very reliable and I would say if something was to break on the Honda - it would be cheaper to fix than the GolfR. Why not look to see if replacing out the wheels with 18s to offset the cost of tires (I know if i were to get a CTR - I would be looking at doing this).
My 2 co workers were old Audi techs and VW is pretty much the same shit and said yeah they wouldn’t own any Audi or VW for more then 5 years or high mileage which is what steered me to a Honda and ditch the GTI

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@bikejog
I'm not surprise VWs are crap given they use so much plastics for their engine parts. My Si was the backup choice to the Golf R. I had my heart set on the Golf R but chicken out 30 minutes before I go in to buy because I keep reading people having problems with the plastic water pump. Most people have smelled coolant and enough people have the pumps go out around 30K. And I watched metube videos and I can't believe how many plastic parts have to come off just to change that pump. So I said, f that even if it's covered under warranty, after this repair, something will break soon after. I wouldn't mind it not being perfectly reliable after all, you gotta pay to play right? lol.. But deal breaker if I have to sniff coolant during my drives.

But you're right about the good driving experience, from gearbox to handling to luxury, with German cars. The best gearboxes are German ones imo. The Si is pretty good in handling, but gearbox and luxury is not on par imo.

I also disagree with you on Honda is cheaper to maintain (if you're going the dealership route) base on my experience with my Prelude. Maybe 30 years ago that might be true, but every time I needed anything none regular maintenance parts replaced, I was quoted close to at least $1K. Radiator out, around $1.2K. Alternator out, around $1K. Cat out and EGR port clean, $1.6K. The only times I got out of Honda service less than $1K was when the dealer agreed to let me bring in after market parts but that still cost around $500 each time. Replace one rear caliper with my own after market part, $600. Honda maintenance is not cheap anymore.

And no way I'm buying the current CTR. Sorry I'm "down grading" to 18" I won't be upgrading in less than 2 years anyway. By then, a new Si, Wrx/Sti, Gti/R, and Toyota hot hatch will be available then.

Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I'm not surprise VWs are crap given they use so much plastics for their engine parts. My Si was the backup choice to the Golf R. I had my heart set on the Golf R but chicken out 30 minutes before I go in to buy because I keep reading people having problems with the plastic water pump. Most people have smelled coolant and enough people have the pumps go out around 30K. And I watched metube videos and I can't believe how many plastic parts have to come off just to change that pump. So I said, f that even if it's covered under warranty, after this repair, something will break soon after. I wouldn't mind it not being perfectly reliable after all, you gotta pay to play right? lol.. But deal breaker if I have to sniff coolant during my drives.

But you're right about the good driving experience, from gearbox to handling to luxury, with German cars. The best gearboxes are German ones imo. The Si is pretty good in handling, but gearbox and luxury is not on par imo.

I also disagree with you on Honda is cheaper to maintain (if you're going the dealership route) base on my experience with my Prelude. Maybe 30 years ago that might be true, but every time I needed anything none regular maintenance parts replaced, I was quoted close to at least $1K. Radiator out, around $1.2K. Alternator out, around $1K. Cat out and EGR port clean, $1.6K. The only times I got out of Honda service less than $1K was when the dealer agreed to let me bring in after market parts but that still cost around $500 each time. Replace one rear caliper with my own after market part, $600. Honda maintenance is not cheap anymore.

And no way I'm buying the current CTR. Sorry I'm "down grading" to 18" I won't be upgrading in less than 2 years anyway. By then, a new Si, Wrx/Sti, Gti/R, and Toyota hot hatch will be available then.
they make a metal water pump i replaced mine with, worked perfectly never leaked again what i used for the mk6 plastic water pump

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
they make a metal water pump i replaced mine with, worked perfectly never leaked again what i used for the mk6 plastic water pump
They, as in after market. And none for MK7/7.5 I believe. Even if there's one for MK7, unless it's OEM, I'm not doing that mod. Actually, even if it's OEM, I'd be hesitant to do it anyway knowing how many plastic parts have to come off to replace it. Easy to break plastic tabs.
Sponsored