ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
what gauge wires did you guys use to install? I bought a set but the included wires looked really thin.

Also, does anyone know the amperage draw for heated mirrors?

I used a 12-14 guage wire, and I have it ran from a relay. I would think they wouldn't draw more than 5 amps.

I've heard some people tapping into the same fuse as the rear defroster, and they said they've had no problems.

But me personally, I would always use a relay for something like that, but that's just me being cautious.
Sponsored

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
I used a 12-14 guage wire, and I have it ran from a relay. I would think they wouldn't draw more than 5 amps.

I've heard some people tapping into the same fuse as the rear defroster, and they said they've had no problems.

But me personally, I would always use a relay for something like that, but that's just me being cautious.
Thank you. I'm planning on re-doing the wiring over the winter. I have 3 add-a-ciruit to the oem fuse block. Wiring doesn't look clean.

This diagram explains the plan. The kit that I bought came with a dedicated button that fits into one of those 2 blanks next to the VSA button.

Honda Civic 10th gen Retrofit Heated Mirrors 304c7bcfed06125ee7495ed8f9968707

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Thank you. I'm planning on re-doing the wiring over the winter. I have 3 add-a-ciruit to the oem fuse block. Wiring doesn't look clean.

This diagram explains the plan. The kit that I bought came with a dedicated button that fits into one of those 2 blanks next to the VSA button.

304c7bcfed06125ee7495ed8f9968707.jpg

Cool kit. Yea if you didn't want to use that switch, you could just use the rear defroster trigger wire with the rear defroster switch. It's basically the only time I use it anyways, and it turns off automatically.

Either way will work for ya ??

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Yea it's working great, im using the relay but with 4 wires, you forgot to add the wire that goes to the mirrors.

I just used a general switched 4 wire relay diagram, just make sure everything works before you start tucking the wires away haha.
Been a while since I last posted in this thread but since the cold weather is coming, I finally wired up my heated mirrors today. I used a Bosch 4 pin relay, fuse tap, and some posi taps.

I tapped into the rear defroster wire for the trigger, and the relay clicks when I turn the rear defroster on and off. The mirror glass felt a tad warm to the touch after leaving them on for a while, but I gotta wake up early tomorrow when there is Dew on the mirrors to test them properly.

Honda Civic 10th gen Retrofit Heated Mirrors PXL_20211016_154052492

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Been a while since I last posted in this thread but since the cold weather is coming, I finally wired up my heated mirrors today. I used a Bosch 4 pin relay, fuse tap, and some posi taps.

I tapped into the rear defroster wire for the trigger, and the relay clicks when I turn the rear defroster on and off. The mirror glass felt a tad warm to the touch after leaving them on for a while, but I gotta wake up early tomorrow when there is Dew on the mirrors to test them properly.

PXL_20211016_154052492.jpg

Nice!!! Yup they definitely get warm. They will also turn off automatically when the defroster goes off. It's the most convenient mod that I use all the time in the mornings and in the winter ??
They should have came stock in the 17-19 CTR models

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag

PXL_20211016_154052492.jpg
Based on the length of that wire, it looks like the defroster wire is close by to the fuse panel. Do you have a photo of what this wire looks like and its exact location.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Based on the length of that wire, it looks like the defroster wire is close by to the fuse panel. Do you have a photo of what this wire looks like and its exact location.
The hard part is trying to stuff the relay in so the kick panel still closes properly ?

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice!!! Yup they definitely get warm. They will also turn off automatically when the defroster goes off. It's the most convenient mod that I use all the time in the mornings and in the winter ??
They should have came stock in the 17-19 CTR models
I tested them out yesterday morning, and the mirrors cleared up in less than two minutes. The defrost lines on the rear window barely started at that point lol.

The hard part is trying to stuff the relay in so the kick panel still closes properly ?
My relay/harness ended up somewhere under the steering column zip tied to another harness. I also have another relay/harness added for my shock sensor. Can't forget my dash camera wiring, and wires for my power folding mirrors too. Getting a bit crowded behind the knee panel.

I hate messy wires so everything is nicely wrapped with cloth tape and zip tied to the best of my ability.

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I tested them out yesterday morning, and the mirrors cleared up in less than two minutes. The defrost lines on the rear window barely started at that point lol.

My relay/harness ended up somewhere under the steering column zip tied to another harness. I also have another relay/harness added for my shock sensor. Can't forget my dash camera wiring, and wires for my power folding mirrors too. Getting a bit crowded behind the knee panel.

I hate messy wires so everything is nicely wrapped with cloth tape and zip tied to the best of my ability.
Yea, they definitely heat quick.

I'm the same way with installs. I generally take my time properly heatshrink and terminate connectors, use loom and factory wire runs (when applicable).

When younger, my friends always used to say "what takes you so long, your just running wires", while they just loosely throw wires around under the carpet or run wires outside if the engine bay (ugh!!). I would always have them asking me later on to fix there wiring due to bad grounds, loose wires, or blown fuses ??

fk7_rs

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk7 RS
Country flag
Hello everyone, I am planning to install/retrofit heated mirrors onto my civic as well!

But need some help,

I bought a blank button off aliexpress and some custom heated mirror logo stickers and put it on, I am planning to wire up one button for the heated mirrors and another button to turn my footwell lights on and off. (but wiring for footwell led lights is for another time to worry about)

I’m also going to purchase the Suma Performance wide blue heated mirrors.
I will also need to buy a tap a fuse kit and some wires ect.

(Full disclaimer, I am not a auto electrician and this is my current plan which might be 100% wrong, so It would be super appreciated if an expert could correct me)

This is my plan,

1. Install the button
2. Wire the button with a tap-a-fuse kit to the fuse box for power (maybe tap into a fuse which is on when ignition is on? or accessory mode? not sure)
3. Wire the button to the heated mirrors

4. Press button to turn on heated mirrors, Press to turn off, simple as that I guess?

I’m sure that the wiring isn’t that simple and I’m guessing I might need resistors ect and to work out the exact amperage for the wiring. I’m expecting a bunch of people to give me better advice but can someone please tell me if my current plan would work?

I also need help on finding what wires I need to buy which connect to the heated mirrors, anyone have any photos of the connectors which plug into the heated mirrors ? Would be much appreciated !

Here’s a photo of the buttons I’m planning to install and where it would go.

Honda Civic 10th gen Retrofit Heated Mirrors A9E0C9A8-D9BB-41A9-BC25-DC613893E5BF

Honda Civic 10th gen Retrofit Heated Mirrors E436BF69-8725-47AC-9475-0E75CF304392

Honda Civic 10th gen Retrofit Heated Mirrors 240A3F74-E5C6-49B5-8516-3E77609ED3BA

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
So I'm starting to tackle this project and looking over the wiring diagram, it appears it is ground side controlled. A lot of you guys are tapping into pin# 1, red wire, on connector C128 for power. This wire goes back to pin# 16 in the underhood fuse box (secondary side of the relay). Pin# 37 is labled as "IG2_OPTION". So pin#37 is energized with ignition on (control side of the relay). Looking at the other end of pin#37, we see pin# 38 with a white wire. Tracing it, we see it goes to connector C112 (pin# 24) near the interior fuse block then goes to the Climate Control Unit (pin# 21) located near the passenger kick panel.

It appears when we turn on the rear window defrost button, the climate control unit sends out a ground signal on pin# 21 and pulls the relay closed to turn on the rear window defroster.

Honda Civic 10th gen Retrofit Heated Mirrors Defrost_Diagram.PNG

Honda Civic 10th gen Retrofit Heated Mirrors C112

Honda Civic 10th gen Retrofit Heated Mirrors CCU_CONNECTOR

So it appears we can tap into the white wire for ground. This eliminates a need for a relay if you want the heated mirrors to turn on along with the rear defroster and you're on a separate circuit (which I'll be doing). Even if you don't, you could just tap into the power mirror wire (for power) and your wire runs will be much much shorter because you're not running wires from C128 to the passenger side.

Edit...actually, I think I will just tap into the power mirror wire. How often are we adjusting our mirrors anyway.

Last edited:

DAVEEVAD

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
So I'm starting to tackle this project and looking over the wiring diagram, it appears it is ground side controlled. A lot of you guys are tapping into pin# 1, red wire, on connector C128 for power. This wire goes back to pin# 16 in the underhood fuse box (secondary side of the relay). Pin# 37 is labled as "IG2_OPTION". So pin#37 is energized with ignition on (control side of the relay). Looking at the other end of pin#37, we see pin# 38 with a white wire. Tracing it, we see it goes to connector C112 (pin# 24) near the interior fuse block then goes to the Climate Control Unit (pin# 21) located near the passenger kick panel.

It appears when we turn on the rear window defrost button, the climate control unit sends out a ground signal on pin# 21 and pulls the relay closed to turn on the rear window defroster.

Defrost_Diagram.PNG

C112.png

CCU_CONNECTOR.png

So it appears we can tap into the white wire for ground. This eliminates a need for a relay if you want the heated mirrors to turn on along with the rear defroster and you're on a separate circuit (which I'll be doing). Even if you don't, you could just tap into the power mirror wire (for power) and your wire runs will be much much shorter because you're not running wires from C128 to the passenger side.

Edit...actually, I think I will just tap into the power mirror wire. How often are we adjusting our mirrors anyway.
Awesome! Write up and pics when you get it working.
I pulled all the diagrams and thought I had it pretty well mapped out but never pulled the trigger. I regret that every time the temps drop.

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag

If I remember correctly, I believe I used the pin #1 (C128) for the switch on a new relay, and ran a seperate Ignition wire (for power) and ran both mirror wires (from relay) out to their respective sides.

I thought about just using the factory relay, but I didn't want to add more load to the rear defroster circuit just incase, so I opted wire in a new relay.

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
If I remember correctly, I believe I used the pin #1 (C128) for the switch on a new relay, and ran a seperate Ignition wire (for power) and ran both mirror wires (from relay) out to their respective sides.

I thought about just using the factory relay, but I didn't want to add more load to the rear defroster circuit just incase, so I opted wire in a new relay.
That's what I'm saying, the C112 and Climate Control Unit are already after the relay and on the ground side. You use those grounds but provide the power from another source. It's on a separate circuit that just shares ground.
Sponsored