Retracting parking brake with scan tool?

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
[/QUOTE]
I was able to retract my brakes with an Autel MK806 Pro.

Once the brakes are retracted (you can hear the motor) you can shutoff the car and work on the brakes. The e-brake motors do not buzz, meaning they are staying in the retracted position.

When everything is assembled, switch to key on engine off then back to the scanner to get out of service mode. The e-brake motors will buzz back to the normal position.

The ABS and other warning lights will shut off.
Good to know this tool works on a 2018. I would hope this function isn't any different on a 2020.

I would have thought the MK806 would be much easier to use than an AP200 and easier to use with different vehicles. Also not a problem if you change phones although it is more expensive.

On a different topic, when the electronic parking brake actuator retracts, I assume you still have to push in the hydraulic piston by some other means. Correct?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gansan

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Good to know this tool works on a 2018. I would hope this function isn't any different on a 2020.

I would have thought the MK806 would be much easier to use than an AP200 and easier to use with different vehicles. Also not a problem if you change phones although it is more expensive.

On a different topic, when the electronic parking brake actuator retracts, I assume you still have to push in the hydraulic piston by some other means. Correct?
Yes, you still have to push them in, but you don't twist them. You just press them in straight.

Last edited:

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
I typed the wrong model, it should be MD806 Pro.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Bad result for me. Bought a Maxicheck MD806 Pro, downloaded the most up to date software from Autel but it would not communicate with my Canadian 2020 CTR. Would read engine codes, VIN etc but no luck with EPB or even Oil reset. To be fair, Autel said it wouldn't support my car but given the success of others for up to 2019 cars, I thought I would try. Worked fine for my wife's 2014 Mazda. I assume there is something in the programming that will require an upgrade from Autel software. Meanwhile I guess I will have to stick to a gentle use of the rotating piston manual retraction method. Really don't want to remove the actuator motor if I can avoid it and to be fair, I wouldn't have thought it necessary from the diagram.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just a further follow up. I still wanted to use an electronic method to retract the rear EPB given that I will be doing it a number of times a season changing between track and street pads. Contacted Foxwell and they claimed their NT510 Elite for Honda/Acura would do the trick for my 2020. I ordered it, updated it and it worked beautifully, exactly as claimed.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Just a further follow up. I still wanted to use an electronic method to retract the rear EPB given that I will be doing it a number of times a season changing between track and street pads. Contacted Foxwell and they claimed their NT510 Elite for Honda/Acura would do the trick for my 2020. I ordered it, updated it and it worked beautifully, exactly as claimed.
Is this the only tool from their line that works? It's a steep price.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Make sure you get the one for Honda/Acura products.

Yes it is more expensive than the Autel AP200 but I couldn't get an Autel MD806 Pro to work on a 2020 car so not so sure that an AP200 would work. It is certainly easier to use than the AP200 and likely more sturdy. I don't believe I will need to pay for updates for this car anyway.

I will be changing pads quite often from street to track and back and really didn't want to risk damaging the caliper as they are expensive to change.

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
Retracting the parking brake without a scan tool isnt too difficult...just 2 extra bolts to seperate actuator then a e11 torx to turn the spindle clockwise till it locks. Then you just push in caliper like a normal (non handbrake) one. To spend hundreds on a higher end scanner *just* to be able to DIY your own brakes is a bit steep. Just my 2 cents

Edit- Added pic. Turning that spindle with a e11 torx is the only difference between a $$$ scanner and without. A lot of (lazy) Honda techs do it this way when there is no scanner near by

Honda Civic 10th gen Retracting parking brake with scan tool? sp1.PNG

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Retracting the parking brake without a scan tool isnt too difficult...just 2 extra bolts to seperate actuator then a e11 torx to turn the spindle clockwise till it locks. Then you just push in caliper like a normal (non handbrake) one. To spend hundreds on a higher end scanner *just* to be able to DIY your own brakes is a bit steep. Just my 2 cents

Edit- Added pic. Turning that spindle with a e11 torx is the only difference between a $$$ scanner and without. A lot of (lazy) Honda techs do it this way when there is no scanner near by

sp1.PNG
Honestly just lazy, I like driving my car more than working on it. If it was a one time thing sure, but this is going to be frequent enough.

Edit: plus I got some gift cards.

NYR2424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

Thank you. This thread has been most helpful.

Long story short, I installed brake pads this week and one of the electrical cords connecting left rear emergency brake snapped off. I tried to reconnect, but it's giving me issues. Rear emergency brake was jammed over night, I couldn't release it. Emergency brake CEL is on. Purchased NT510 Elite for Honda/Acura, hoping it will disable the emergency brake CEL and I can drive with just one emergency brake. No big deal. Or I'm going to Honda and most likely need a new emergency brake motor, caliper and wire harness. Ugh. Such a nightmare.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag

sp1.PNG

You don’t even need an e11 Torx, you can turn this spindle with your fingers

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You don’t even need an e11 Torx, you can turn this spindle with your fingers
Since I don't want to drive with the rear track pads for street use, I will be doing this twice for each track day. Not really happy about the idea of removing the brake actuator motor twice a day for at least 10 days per year. The electronic way is likely much better for me and much less likely to lead to some sort of mechanical issue
Sponsored