Resonator Delete Break In??

NoRice91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Just got a resonator delete, kept the mufflers. Was expecting it to be slightly louder but honestly sounds the exact same as before. Ive heard people say it takes time for it to "break in" and get louder. Is this true and if so how would a pipe get louder? Is it because without the resonator the mufflers have to "work harder" and the mufflers break in more creating a louder sound?
Sponsored

fist4064

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T 6MT Coupe, 2013 Nissan Frontier SV
Country flag
Just got a resonator delete, kept the mufflers. Was expecting it to be slightly louder but honestly sounds the exact same as before. Ive heard people say it takes time for it to "break in" and get louder. Is this true and if so how would a pipe get louder? Is it because without the resonator the mufflers have to "work harder" and the mufflers break in more creating a louder sound?
I did the same thing today and I had a 2.5 inch front pipe installed. Barelly any change in sound.

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I got my resonator delete done last week and I had the opposite experience -- it certainly had a deeper grumble on startup and lower RPMs, but ~300 miles later I feel like it got quiet/stocklike again.

I don't know where I read it, but the theory was that the replacement pipe takes some time to be covered in the exhaust gunk (not sure exactly what comes out) and that once the pipe is "lined" with it, it gets louder.

OP
OP

NoRice91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I got my resonator delete done last week and I had the opposite experience -- it certainly had a deeper grumble on startup and lower RPMs, but ~300 miles later I feel like it got quiet/stocklike again.

I don't know where I read it, but the theory was that the replacement pipe takes some time to be covered in the exhaust gunk (not sure exactly what comes out) and that once the pipe is "lined" with it, it gets louder.
Thanks, ya ive heard this too, i think people say the carbon buildup in the pipe makes it louder, not sure how that works though

David16touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic touring, 2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got a catted downpipe, made a little deeper noise but barely louder, then I did a resonator delete and it made the car just as loud as I wanted it. Then I had to get my down pipe removed for an emission test, it made the car sound stock again. So my advice would be get a catted downpipe and it’ll wake up the exhaust way more. It might just be the noise you’re looking for.
Sponsored