Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Full bolt-on with PRL 2860gen [build journal] tuned by DRob back in July 2020 without a single problem until now or really ever since I bought the car new in April 2018.

Currently have an issue where I'm below the boost target, by a lot. So 4 things came to mind right away piping loose, BPV, EWG, or turbo itself. One of the four is probably not working properly and hopefully not a combo. I check the piping and everything seems solid as day 1. I checked the BPV lines to the manifold and those are fine also.

So with the basics checked off I sent a few datalogs over to DRob to see if he would kindly narrow it down as I know enough to get me in trouble. He has stated that indeed I am "way way way way" under boost target. He mentioned the bypass valve being possibly stuck open or leaking. Summit Racing had another Turbosmart BPV in-stock and it came the next day. I replaced it with the new unit and... no dice, same issue. I questioned the EWG numbers (remember I have no clue) and he stated the EWG numbers look fine.

So now I'm thinking worst case scenario... something wrong with the turbo. I will probably be taking off the downpipe to check turbine wheel this weekend if my local shop has any openings. The current tune calls for 24psi and was wondering if anyone else cares to dive into the datalog and see if maybe they can find a magic bullet.

Datalog 1
Datalog 2

I'm really hoping for a miracle here I know but worth a shot and not sure what else I can do in the meantime.
Sponsored

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
perform a boost leak test with smoke will be 1 of the best method.
chk yr ewg if anything is loose there.
might wanna take a peek at your spark plugs especially on #4 others seems to be fine.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP, why did you go with an aftermarket BPV?

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
I'm not a profesional but taking a look at your first log:
  • AFR and fuel trims are spot on with it's targets so I think it's unlikely to be a leak.(not sure if I'm missing something on that chain)
  • EWG remains closed to try to achieve the targeted boost.
  • No concerning misfires or knock.
Do you have logs with everything working correctly?

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

OP
OP
madchiller

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not a profesional but taking a look at your first log:
  • AFR and fuel trims are spot on with it's targets so I think it's unlikely to be a leak.(not sure if I'm missing something on that chain)
  • EWG remains closed to try to achieve the targeted boost.
  • No concerning misfires or knock.
Do you have logs with everything working correctly?
I had the car tuned live remotely by DRob so I have a set of datalogs from those initial runs before actually getting on the dyno. I believe the target back then was 20psi.

Original pre-dyno datalogs

perform a boost leak test with smoke will be 1 of the best method.
chk yr ewg if anything is loose there.
might wanna take a peek at your spark plugs especially on #4 others seems to be fine.
I have no smoke machine myself but if the shop I take it to has one I can ask for it to be done. I checked the EWG the cotter pin is still there and everything seems as it always has been. i do have an ACT Street clutch so that could be the issue with cylinder 4. my understanding is you get artificial knock but i'll check them out to make sure.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had the car tuned live remotely by DRob so I have a set of datalogs from those initial runs before actually getting on the dyno. I believe the target back then was 20psi.

Original pre-dyno datalogs

I have no smoke machine myself but if the shop I take it to has one I can ask for it to be done. I checked the EWG the cotter pin is still there and everything seems as it always has been. i do have an ACT Street clutch so that could be the issue with cylinder 4. my understanding is you get artificial knock but i'll check them out to make sure.
I don't see any indicator of a major leak on the logs. Then it is reasonable to think the DBV is recirculating some air loosing turbo efficiency, but could be other things.

I don't see any reason to change the spark plugs other than high mileage or high wear, it never hurts to check and change them tho. misfire count is ok on the logs, nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
madchiller

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't see any reason to change the spark plugs other than high mileage or high wear, it never hurts to check and change them tho. misfire count is ok on the logs, nothing to worry about.
i changed them at 26k when i had the turbo installed. im currently at 43k so they aren't that old. i could maybe check the gap to ensure it's good.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen a lot of datalogs but you are missing your targets by more than any other datalog I've ever seen. Yikes.

In the two screens below, you floored it and the boost just slowly and feebly builds up. Even at peak, you're still only maxed out to about half of the targeted boost.

Honda Civic 10th gen [Resolved] Not hitting boost target Capture

Honda Civic 10th gen [Resolved] Not hitting boost target Capture1

Wish I knew the fix for your issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
madchiller

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've seen a lot of datalogs but you are missing your targets by more than any other datalog I've ever seen. Yikes.

In the two screens below, you floored it and the boost just slowly and feebly builds up. Even at peak, you're still only climbing up to about half of the targeted boost.

Wish I knew the fix for your issue.
Honda Civic 10th gen [Resolved] Not hitting boost target 1640982891347

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm no expert on diagnosing something like this but with Derek and Kytos ruling out the EWG (my first guess), that extremely slow turtle-like turbo spool/ramp seems like it would be due to a boost leak somewhere.

OP
OP
madchiller

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Possible stuck open waste gate?
i thought so too but DRob doesn't think that's the case but he also can't rule it out 100%. He said it's operating as expected.. "when operating UNDER the target, the gate should be closed (which is it), and when the target it reached, you'll see it command more extension."

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
i thought so too but DRob doesn't think that's the case but he also can't rule it out 100%. He said it's operating as expected.. "when operating UNDER the target, the gate should be closed (which is it), and when the target it reached, you'll see it command more extension."
It might be sending a signal to open once it reaches target, but what if its physically stuck open before then somehow?

OP
OP
madchiller

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So after poking and prodding my way around the engine bay and chatting with @kshawn on IG (thanks bro). I think I may of found the issue and once this is tightened up it should alleviate the missing boost issue.

The EWG is very loose and moves towards the turbo and back with very little effort. Once this is tightened it should fix the issue possibly? Thoughts?

EWG looser than a woman trying to settle down (44mb)
Sponsored