olesaintnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey everyone,

So yesterday, my MAPerformance Street Exhaust came loose at the slip clamp (appropriately named lol). That is the second time it happened. The first time, I installed it myself and after it came loose I brought it to a professional to be tightened. They tightened it down and it was fine for a few weeks. But this time, it came so loose that the back portion of the exhaust became completely detached from the front portion. I brought it back to the exhaust shop and when they "guided" me up onto the lift, the back portion of the exhaust got snagged on the lift's center support brace and it got ripped completely off the car, ripping through the rubber exhaust hangers. They assured me that the exhaust would be fine and that it would be obvious if something broke on it, but that I would have to buy new hangers from Honda, as they are "specialty" hangers. After I brought them new hangers, they installed it back on the car. They spot welded the rear portion of the clamp for good measure. However, the exhaust makes a very strange rattling noise now. I almost sounds like there's a pebble stuck in the exhaust somewhere. Have any of you experienced this? Do you have any idea what could be wrong? I've attached a video of me revving at a stop and a picture of the clamp/spot welds. The noise is much worse when moving and it is kinda drowned out by the normal exhaust noise in this video, but hopefully you can hear what I'm talking about. If not, let me know and I'll try to upload a better video.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the car still drives perfectly. Fuel trims, K Con, ECT all look normal.

Thanks.

Honda Civic 10th gen Resolved: HELP Weird Exhaust Noise IMG_9687.JPG
Sponsored

Attachments

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
My best guess would be you have some metal on metal contact somewhere that is causing the rattling. Perhaps one (or more) of the metal hangers was bent while a portion of the exhaust was being ripped off the car. You may end up needing to straighten them to eliminate the rattle.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
My best guess would be you have some metal on metal contact somewhere that is causing the rattling. Perhaps one (or more) of the metal hangers was bent while a portion of the exhaust was being ripped off the car. You may end up needing to straighten them to eliminate the rattle.
My exact thought - metal on metal hitting somewhere. Either the hanger, or even that weld is holding the back part and allowing the front part to rattle around.

OP
OP
olesaintnik

olesaintnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for the input — I’ll see if I can find any metal to metal contact!

OP
OP
olesaintnik

olesaintnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You were right — there was some metal on metal contact. One of the other clamps got twisted when the exhaust got pulled off and was contacting a part of the frame. Thanks so much for the help!

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Specialty hangers? That shop should have been bending over backwards to fix their fuck up, and they have the balls to tell you to buy your own hangers.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Specialty hangers? That shop should have been bending over backwards to fix their fuck up, and they have the balls to tell you to buy your own hangers.
LOL for real. Those hangers were basically just OEM replacement hangers for when the original ones get worn out. Hard to see why a 1-2 year old car would need that already...

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
LOL for real. Those hangers were basically just OEM replacement hangers for when the original ones get worn out. Hard to see why a 1-2 year old car would need that already...
From the OP - it sounds like the hangers got bent and/or the rubber broke/tore.
Sponsored