[RESOLVED] Help! Can’t get ball joint back into LCA!!!

bigboy_fk7

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am installing lowering springs and I am unable to get the ball joint back into the LCA on the front right side. I got the strut in, then put it on the spindle unbolted from the LCA, but now the LCA can’t reach the ball joint. This is my first time really doing any suspension work on any car so I am pretty stumped. Also the steering now has a lot of negative toe and not too sure how to fix that. Help would be insanely appreciated. Thanks!

Honda Civic 10th gen [RESOLVED] Help! Can’t get ball joint back into LCA!!! 45E873A5-1F3A-4252-826E-DF7C3DD6F81C

Honda Civic 10th gen [RESOLVED] Help! Can’t get ball joint back into LCA!!! 18D23272-C1A6-4A79-8824-D7C49B635DCF

Honda Civic 10th gen [RESOLVED] Help! Can’t get ball joint back into LCA!!! 7CDE0E76-30B3-4AA2-94CE-FCEF5B59D0BB

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
First off, that emergency scissor jack is definitely NOT supposed to be use to install parts. It is dangerous. I pray you have it on stands at other jack points.

to get that part back up to where it meets the frame and you bolt everything back up. Ideally, you would have at least probably 3 jacks to work with. 2 to jack up the car besides jack stands. And then that last “free” jack can be used to push up the control arm part.

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
you need to use a prybar and pry down on the arm while lining up the ball joint good luck. you are going to need a alignment and shorter swaybar end links stock ones are too long with lowering springs. Whiteline makes them. good luck

JO3L

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1E5, NA6CE
Country flag
I too just had to go through this over the past weekend installing my lowering springs and while it can be done by yourself it really helps to have two people. One side gave me fits and took nearly 30 minutes extra compared to the other side. I found it helped to only have a few threads engaged on the strut mount studs so the knuckle has a bit more free play. Then through a combination of jacking the knuckle up from the bottom of the ball joint and prying the control arm down I was able to get everything lined up. Good luck!

As far as alignment, you will definitely need to take it into a shop to have it adjusted after installing springs. You can kind of eyeball toe and adjust it through the front tie rods, but unless you have the proper tools for measuring it, I would only do this if I knew I couldn't make it to a shop anytime soon.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Make sure the axle is correctly seated, if not, you will not be able to get close enough to reattach it there. It comes out pretty easily during a suspension upgrade such as this.

Imnotorginal

First Name
AO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
You might have popped the CV axel out of the transmission and need to reseat it.

This is my suggestion...

You need to either find someone to hold the lower control arm down so that those metal tabs dont puncture your CV joint boot... Or go to a hardware store and buy wooden shims. Place those shims between the control arm and the front sway bar. This will keep the control arm from from raising up on you.

After you get the control arm stabilized, slowly rotate the wheel hub clockwise while applying some inward pressure (not alot). This should bring the ball joint closer to the control arm.

Hopefully this helps.

**Edit for spelling

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
I've done coilover and shocks/springs installations on my previous vehicles G35/350Z, but after extensive research and watching videos on the 10th gen for the fronts, I will leave it to the pros when I finally get my springs installed. Sorry this adds nothing OP... best of luck to you.

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I had the same problem over the weekend as well and was freaking the fuck out, but then managed to get it back but idk how I did it. Two ppl for the fronts is nearly a necessity. The backs so much easier

Last edited:

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
I am installing lowering springs and I am unable to get the ball joint back into the LCA on the front right side. I got the strut in, then put it on the spindle unbolted from the LCA, but now the LCA can’t reach the ball joint. This is my first time really doing any suspension work on any car so I am pretty stumped. Also the steering now has a lot of negative toe and not too sure how to fix that. Help would be insanely appreciated. Thanks!

45E873A5-1F3A-4252-826E-DF7C3DD6F81C.jpeg

18D23272-C1A6-4A79-8824-D7C49B635DCF.jpeg

7CDE0E76-30B3-4AA2-94CE-FCEF5B59D0BB.jpeg
looks like the spring is upside down anyone?

OP
OP
bigboy_fk7

bigboy_fk7

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
looks like the spring is upside down anyone?
Spring is not upside down. The rubber ends that I reused from the OEM springs only fit on one side of the spring, so I know for sure that they are installed correctly.

OP
OP
bigboy_fk7

bigboy_fk7

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You might have popped the CV axel out of the transmission and need to reseat it.

This is my suggestion...

You need to either find someone to hold the lower control arm down so that those metal tabs dont puncture your CV joint boot... Or go to a hardware store and buy wooden shims. Place those shims between the control arm and the front sway bar. This will keep the control arm from from raising up on you.

After you get the control arm stabilized, slowly rotate the wheel hub clockwise while applying some inward pressure (not alot). This should bring the ball joint closer to the control arm.

Hopefully this helps.

**Edit for spelling
This ended up being the issue. Was able to get the springs on thanks to you! Appreciate the help!!!
Sponsored