First Name
Coleman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hello all,

So my head gasket went. My head is currently being resurfaced, but I am at a loss on how to reset the camshafts without a cam lock tool. I've looked everywhere for one but haven't really found anything. Any insight on this would be much appreciated.

Also, is there a way to reset the timing chain auto tensioner? Or will it need to be replaced now that it is fully extended?

Thanks!
Sponsored

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
The removal guide should help you with compressing the auto tensioner, it looks like you just compress it and insert a pin.

Honda Civic 10th gen Resetting camshafts after head gasket replacement and auto tensioner 1597094858172

The camshaft lock tool is only $23 https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Acura-07AAB-RWCA120-Camshaft-Lock/dp/B00PLV8X2K

Although it really looks like it's just two pins. You could probably just use some dowel, screwdrivers, metal rods, or anything an appropriate size to lock the cams yourself.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
OP
OP
Veradian

Veradian

First Name
Coleman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Looking further at the service manual, it doesn't really say anything about the tensioner becoming fully extended. They definitely wrote it assuming if you removed it, you would be compressing and inserting the pin first.

I think you might be off the rails with that.

A new tensioner is about $46

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~tensioner~cam~chain~14510-5a2-a02.html
I actually just ran to the dealership and got a new one. I had a feeling I'd need a new one after if extended all the way. Silly mistake on my part but easily fixed. But will that cam alignment tool work on the L15B7?
Sponsored