First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Galant ES 2.4, 18 Sienna XLE (FWD), 18 FK7 ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So it isn't really for my FK7, but a side project for my father's Stream RN6 in Hong Kong.

His map light only work on one side, so I decided to get him some spare parts here (just because I know how to get parts better here than in Hong Kong)

So I have this assembly off from probably a 8G Civic EX,
-sunroof switch,
-2 mode map light (off /door), and
-only a marking of the possible blue/red illumination (that mystery small light if you haven't figure out what that's for)

On the other hand, in my store room I still have that same assembly off from a 11 Pilot (got that for the Homelink mod)
-no sunroof switch,
-3 mode map light (off/door/on), and
-available illumination

So I started wonder, wouldn't it be great if I can combine the goodness together?
Then I start taking things apart...

This square piece is constructed in 3 layers, the colored with switches, the middle black piece that contains all the switch mechanisms, and the back black cover with the circuit board.
Honda Civic 10th gen Research on map light/sunroof switch 20191106_190009

Left: Pilot, Right: 8G Civic
Honda Civic 10th gen Research on map light/sunroof switch 20191106_190024

As you can see, they looks identical, difference are the led chip for the illumination and the rubber boot for the sunroof switch, which comes right off easily and just have to swap the bulb over (T5/T3?)
Honda Civic 10th gen Research on map light/sunroof switch 20191106_190156

I have no interest in taking the led chip off, so I used the Pilot board, swapped the sunroof stuffs over.
Honda Civic 10th gen Research on map light/sunroof switch 20191106_190258

Now move to the middle black piece, again they look really similar, on the Civic side it doesn't have the metal plate on the bottom left corner, where the map light on mode should be, has an exact same slot as the Pilot one, so I just swap the metal plate over...
Honda Civic 10th gen Research on map light/sunroof switch 20191106_190635

The illumination is a challenge here, I used a soldering iron and carefully melt through the marking it has on the Civic colored piece.

On the other hand, the same spot on the Pilot colored piece, there's a transparent lens that is mounted, go ahead break those mounts and take the lens out, test fit it in the hole that just created on the Civic piece, test fit it, and super glue it on the proper location...

Honda Civic 10th gen Research on map light/sunroof switch 20191106_190652

Put them back together and TADA!! Here is a switch with sunroof switch, 3 mode map light, and illumination.

Of course I haven't try if it work at all, I'm not traveling to Hong Kong until December, so I may update the result later;)

Honda Civic 10th gen Research on map light/sunroof switch 20191105_230145