First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You know, I just ordered fluid today. I don't know if there's a DITY, bit if nothing else, I'll post some pictures up when I do mine. It'll probably be next weekend.

Honestly... it's pretty simple. If you've got one of those transmission fluid funnels with the long tube, it's pretty much a non-event. You just have to remove the drain and fill plugs. I recommend making sure you get the fill plugs off before you remove the drain. You're committed once you do the drain.

I know I've responded to a few questions. I'd much rather do MTF than ATF. ATF should be done warm and you can only get an accurate measurement on idle.

OP
OP
MetalKnightCivicHB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You know, I just ordered fluid today. I don't know if there's a DITY, bit if nothing else, I'll post some pictures up when I do mine. It'll probably be next weekend.

Honestly... it's pretty simple. If you've got one of those transmission fluid funnels with the long tube, it's pretty much a non-event. You just have to remove the drain and fill plugs. I recommend making sure you get the fill plugs off before you remove the drain. You're committed once you do the drain.

I know I've responded to a few questions. I'd much rather do MTF than ATF. ATF should be done warm and you can only get an accurate measurement on idle.
I do alot of work on my car. I just have never ever have done a trans fluid change before. I do have a long tube funnel.
I just need know which drain and fill bolt to remove. Please provide pictures of location.
Also, what fluid are you going with? In mind, I may go with AMSoil MTF. I heard its one of the best.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do alot of work on my car. I just have never ever have done a trans fluid change before. I do have a long tube funnel.
I just need know which drain and fill bolt to remove. Please provide pictures of location.
Also, what fluid are you going with? In mind, I may go with AMSoil MTF. I heard its one of the best.
I'll get some pictures. I'm also using Amsoil. I used the same stuff on my RSX and it was outstanding. My Civic is about a year old with 9k miles and it's shifting has gotten pretty notchy compared to when it was new. Same thing happened with my 9th gen over time and my RSX was bought used and was like that. Amsoils lightweight MTF worked wonders. I'd actually tried a couple other that didn't make much of a difference before I went to the Amsoil.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
I wonder if anyone has made a DIY
THere are two plugs - one is on the top of the transmission. If you look down behind the air box - you'll see it, from factory it has 3 different colored QC marks on it. You'll need 3/8" extension (probably 12-15" long) and a breaker bar - it is pretty tight from the factory. When you go down under the car look at the transmission from the bottom. THere's only one plug facing down - same 3/8" you'll need for it. Make sure you open up fill plug first, then drain the fluid from the bottom and measure it. In my case I had 1.9qts drained and that's what I've put back. Very straight forward and the hardest part would be breaking fill plug loose. Hope this helps

OP
OP
MetalKnightCivicHB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you very much

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
THere are two plugs - one is on the top of the transmission. If you look down behind the air box - you'll see it, from factory it has 3 different colored QC marks on it. You'll need 3/8" extension (probably 12-15" long) and a breaker bar - it is pretty tight from the factory. When you go down under the car look at the transmission from the bottom. THere's only one plug facing down - same 3/8" you'll need for it. Make sure you open up fill plug first, then drain the fluid from the bottom and measure it. In my case I had 1.9qts drained and that's what I've put back. Very straight forward and the hardest part would be breaking fill plug loose. Hope this helps
I assume there is not a Transmission Box Dip stick -- just a fill plug.

So is there any way to check the Transmission Fluid level, short of draining it and then putting a fixed amount back in.?

Also, when just "Draining" it, how much oil still stays in the Transmission. ?

For a full Transmission oil change, does it really need to be flushed, to at least reduce the concentration of old oil in the unit ?

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
I assume there is not a Transmission Box Dip stick -- just a fill plug.

So is there any way to check the Transmission Fluid level, short of draining it and then putting a fixed amount back in.?

Also, when just "Draining" it, how much oil still stays in the Transmission. ?

For a full Transmission oil change, does it really need to be flushed, to at least reduce the concentration of old oil in the unit ?
There’s a check bolt you can unscrew to check the level. Although i did not at the time i changed. I drained 1.9qts and put the same amount back. Book calls for exactly 2qts so 1.9 i put back plus the old fluid left on internal parts should make it 2. No need to flush
Sponsored