17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi,
Im posting to request a DIY in the following:
-Si intake Camshaft
-injectors
-hpfp

I think I can do the last three easily. My main request is the Si intake camshaft. Opening an engine is what Im worried about

Update: installed my intank fuel pump
Sponsored

Last edited:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The service manual would be the best place to start for that. This will also require inspecting and maybe adjusting the timing chain. You also need to be really careful with the timing chain tensioner because if it's allowed to auto-extend too far, it's junk.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
1. Why do you want/think you need to change the camshaft?
2. It's a pretty involved process, all of the timing components must be removed, chain, tensioner, etc. It's a pretty involved process and highly recommended to do with the engine out of the car.

OP
OP
MetalKnightCivicHB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The service manual would be the best place to start for that. This will also require inspecting and maybe adjusting the timing chain. You also need to be really careful with the timing chain tensioner because if it's allowed to auto-extend too far, it's junk.
Oh man, that even worries me more now. How sensitive is this timing chain?

1. Why do you want/think you need to change the camshaft?
2. It's a pretty involved process, all of the timing components must be removed, chain, tensioner, etc. It's a pretty involved process and highly recommended to do with the engine out of the car.
1. For non-Si, it is supposedly required to run an upgraded fuel system.
2. Yes its pretty involve, thats I requested a DIY to get the most info I can.

I may end up, sending the car to the shop for the camshaft swap. Probably, get my clutch and LSD installed along with.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

I may end up, sending the car to the shop for the camshaft swap. Probably, get my clutch and LSD installed along with.
It's not really a DIY job unless you're super experienced IMO, getting someone competent to do it is a good idea.

In theory you could probably release tension, and pull the cam without removing any other timing components. I've seen the timing chain bungied from the top of the chain to the hood of the car in order to keep tension/position of the lower components. Doing it your first time, and with the engine in the car, I'd say the odds of messing it up are pretty high. It would suck to put that new cam in and then fuse your pistons and valves together with off timing.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Here are two decent vids of an in-car camshaft swap to give you an idea of what's involved with a K series. The specifics to the L15 would obviously need to be taken from the manual though.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag

Well that's why I asked. As there are no aftermarket cams (that I know of) available for the L15, you aren't going to find a DIY. If you have working mechanical knowledge how how an OHC engine works and have taken one apart in the past, you could probably make your way through it, but if not, I'd recommend getting the car into the hands of someone with the knowledge and tools necessary to do a job of this nature.

This is one of those, if you don't already know how to do it, don't try kind of situations.

OP
OP
MetalKnightCivicHB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here are two decent vids of an in-car camshaft swap to give you an idea of what's involved with a K series. The specifics to the L15 would obviously need to be taken from the manual though.

Yea i watched this. It dont look do bad. I do all the work on my car and I just havent dealt with internals. It is very exciting to me and scary at the same time.

Well that's why I asked. As there are no aftermarket cams (that I know of) available for the L15, you aren't going to find a DIY. If you have working mechanical knowledge how how an OHC engine works and have taken one apart in the past, you could probably make your way through it, but if not, I'd recommend getting the car into the hands of someone with the knowledge and tools necessary to do a job of this nature.

This is one of those, if you don't already know how to do it, don't try kind of situations.
Thats what Im debating on.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yea i watched this. It dont look do bad. I do all the work on my car and I just havent dealt with internals. It is very exciting to me and scary at the same time.

Thats what Im debating on.
It's not a horribly complex job (I haven't done cams since the old DSM cars, which used a much simpler timing belt and tensioner, vs a chain with guides and tensioners) and if I found myself in your position, I'd probably give it a go with the help of a buddy or two. That said if it's your only car, it would probably be better left to a professional who can definitely get it done in a few hours.

OP
OP
MetalKnightCivicHB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I just installed my in tank fuel pump which was easy.
I also installed my mfactory LSD inside my trans, which was pretty involve, but I managed to do it.

So if I can add an LSD in the trans, how so yall think ill do with camshaft swap?

Also! Just found out that our injectors are at the bottom of the manifold! I was surprised lol
How easy is injector swap?
Sponsored

Last edited: