ncerni

First Name
Nejc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic mk10 1.5 sport
Hi there!
Yesterday I cleaned the interior of my civic and today found some residue on the instrument cluster. I sprayed it with denaturated ethanol and wiped it off. But the alcohol somehow dissolved the paint on the trim around the instruments. I used ethanol as so far it proved as very safe cleaning agent for various surfaces (rubber seals, painted surfaces, glass...) so it is by my opinion rather strange it had such a devastating effect on painted plastic trim.
Is it possible to remove the trim around the instruments to have it repainted? How can I do it? I really don't want to break anything finding the way.

thanks
Sponsored

Si Stuart

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe. 1969 Karmann Ghia.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi there!
Yesterday I cleaned the interior of my civic and today found some residue on the instrument cluster. I sprayed it with denaturated ethanol and wiped it off. But the alcohol somehow dissolved the paint on the trim around the instruments. I used ethanol as so far it proved as very safe cleaning agent for various surfaces (rubber seals, painted surfaces, glass...) so it is by my opinion rather strange it had such a devastating effect on painted plastic trim.
Is it possible to remove the trim around the instruments to have it repainted? How can I do it? I really don't want to break anything finding the way.

thanks

This video was useful for me. But I suggest checking with Honda first to see if warranty can cover it, before you pay out of pocket.