First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Touring
Country flag
Hello Everyone!

I currently live in the UK and I went back to the US to visit family and while I was there I stopped by a dealership to test drive a Touring and fell in love. Went back to the dealer after lunch with a check and walked out with keys but now I have a small issue. In the UK it is mandatory to have a rear fog light, which may be a problem because I would prefer to not to screw a little auxilary light to my bumper.

Has anyone here brought a Civic Touring to the UK or am I going to be the first?
Sponsored

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
Hello Everyone!

I currently live in the UK and I went back to the US to visit family and while I was there I stopped by a dealership to test drive a Touring and fell in love. Went back to the dealer after lunch with a check and walked out with keys but now I have a small issue. In the UK it is mandatory to have a rear fog light, which may be a problem because I would prefer to not to screw a little auxilary light to my bumper.

Has anyone here brought a Civic Touring to the UK or am I going to be the first?
You're most likely going to be the first. They don't have the Touring sedan in the U.K.? You're also bringing a LHD vehicle to a country that is RHD - I did that for awhile when I lived there but wouldn't really recommend it. There are also the various fees & duties you pay to MOT & Customs for importing a vehicle, which I'm assuming you've factored in your decision.

For the OEM integrated rear fog light, you'll probably be able to swap & do some creative re-wiring from a tail light assembly from a RHD country like Thailand.

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You're most likely going to be the first. They don't have the Touring sedan in the U.K.? You're also bringing a LHD vehicle to a country that is RHD - I did that for awhile when I lived there but wouldn't really recommend it. There are also the various fees & duties you pay to MOT & Customs for importing a vehicle, which I'm assuming you've factored in your decision.

For the OEM integrated rear fog light, you'll probably be able to swap & do some creative re-wiring from a tail light assembly from a RHD country like Thailand.
:goodpost:

fasto82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 civic lx coupe, 2006 civic lx sedan, soon to be 2016 civic EX-T sedan
Vehicle Showcase

saminder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
I have absolutely no idea about what the rules of UK are however i think every country has their rules/regulations in order to import a vehicle. Like in Canada, if you want to import a vehicle from USA, the speedometer should have km on it else the speedo needs to be changed.

So, the original poster needs to check with UK's concerned department to see if the car meets all the requirements and if not, he needs to fulfill the requirements and then the vehicle can be imported.

OP
OP
ITGuyLevi

ITGuyLevi

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Touring
Country flag
Oh wow... I didn't receive an email when anyone replied and only decided to check it because I was going to post an update! I'm sorry I went silent there...

OP
OP
ITGuyLevi

ITGuyLevi

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Touring
Country flag
Wait, you live in the UK, but while visiting the US, you bought a car with the intention of bringing it back home??
Currently I live here because I work for the US Army... the on base car sales did not receive any of the Touring model and said that they are not allowed to special order anything except VW and BMW.

I do plan on bringing it back to the states when I go back (probably in a couple of years). Really the shipping cost isn't too bad, I've been quoted about $1500 each way.

OP
OP
ITGuyLevi

ITGuyLevi

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Touring
Country flag

No, they have the Tourer but it's a wagon and it doesn't look anything like it (http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/civic-tourer-2015/overview.html) so using it's lights is probably out of the question. As for having a LHD in a country full of RHD I've been doing it for a few years and it's not too bad (plus having the passenger lane cam will be nice).

I won't have to pay any customs as the SOFA let's me have two import duty free vehicles, and MOT is waived for the first two years on any new car (as it's an import though I have to get one in the beginning to make sure I have the right lights/seatbelts/etc). I've been looking at this: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/LED-Light-For-3rd-Brake-Light-or-Rear-Fog-Lamp-p/35-072.htm#des and it looks like it will meet all the requirements in the inspection book (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...data/file/354071/M1_IVA_inspection_manual.pdf) as long as I can tap it into the front fog lights.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, they have the Tourer but it's a wagon and it doesn't look anything like it (http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/civic-tourer-2015/overview.html) so using it's lights is probably out of the question. As for having a LHD in a country full of RHD I've been doing it for a few years and it's not too bad (plus having the passenger lane cam will be nice).

I won't have to pay any customs as the SOFA let's me have two import duty free vehicles, and MOT is waived for the first two years on any new car (as it's an import though I have to get one in the beginning to make sure I have the right lights/seatbelts/etc). I've been looking at this: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/LED-Light-For-3rd-Brake-Light-or-Rear-Fog-Lamp-p/35-072.htm#des and it looks like it will meet all the requirements in the inspection book (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...data/file/354071/M1_IVA_inspection_manual.pdf) as long as I can tap it into the front fog lights.
You're a brave one to put up with the hassle of all this, I wouldn't. Our family has done the reverse (we have diplomatic status outside the US) & have mainly brought in BMW & Mercedes. Have you looked at this option http://usmilitaryautosales.com/honda_military_sales/

Since you're in Europe, don't you just want to get a Type R or something similar and bring it back to the US when your tour of duty is over? I would probably get something unique & bring it back to the US (assuming I can bring the emissions system in compliance with US laws).

Last edited:
OP
OP
ITGuyLevi

ITGuyLevi

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Touring
Country flag
You're a brave one to put up with the hassle of all this, I wouldn't. Our family has done the reverse (we have diplomatic status outside the US) & have mainly brought in BMW & Mercedes. Have you looked at this option http://usmilitaryautosales.com/honda_military_sales/

Since you're in Europe, don't you just want to get a Type R or something similar and bring it back to the US when your tour of duty is over? I would probably get something unique & bring it back to the US (assuming I can bring the emissions system in compliance with US laws).
I thought about going the Type R route but there are a lot of hoops you have to jump through to bring cars into the US (DOT approved windshield, lights, etc) unless it is over 25 years old or on an "exception" list. A large issue with one's that are not on the list is that they have not been crash tested... it's much easier to bring US spec cars into other countries (except with this damn fog light requirement).

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/ has all the fun details and spreadsheets with approved vehicles.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/ has all the fun details and spreadsheets with approved vehicles.
I was drooling over the Alpina cars on that list. Since you're only going to be there two more years, wouldn't it make sense to just wait till you get back to the States & get your Civic? By then, the Type R & Si variants would have been released.

OP
OP
ITGuyLevi

ITGuyLevi

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Touring
Country flag
I was drooling over the Alpina cars on that list. Since you're only going to be there two more years, wouldn't it make sense to just wait till you get back to the States & get your Civic? By then, the Type R & Si variants would have been released.
Really the goal is to pay the car off before we go back as my current job comes with some decent perks for being overseas, with the main one being our rent and utilities are completely paid so it gives us a bit of discretionary income while we are here that we won't have in the states. Plus like I mentioned earlier, my current car is on it's last legs and it's either buy another junker or spend a few grand just trying to make this one get by for the next couple of years.

In truth I probably should have waited and just added the extra money to savings for when I get back, but it would be so awesome to have a car over here that I don't have to wonder if it will make it to work next week... I would like that SI though...
Sponsored