REQUEST: Independent DRL fog light mod

imperialgrunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Any wire-savy members willing to make a guide to hook up the fog lights to come on with the parking lights, instead of the headlights?

I had this mod in my old Speed3 and it was fairly easy to do, just had to splice a few wires, behind the fuse box.
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd love this as well.

OP
OP
imperialgrunt

imperialgrunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I have found a DIY on the 9th gen civic forums, but it uses separate relays and switches to run the fog lights independently, instead of wiring directly into the factory wires. I'm assuming it's because of warranty concerns.... :(

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Last edited:

Kalbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I've been wanting to do this mod for a while too. I did this mod to my Pathfinder and it involved opening up fog relay and soldering a wire to one of the pins and attaching the other end the parking relay or a constant a power source inside the fuse box. I liked this method because it didn't involve running a wire from the fog switch to the fuse box through the firewall. I haven't had time to inspect the civic relays to check how similar they are. I would definitely recommend purchasing separate relays for this mod so that you can revert back to stock easily if needed.

Here's the write up I used:
http://forums.nicoclub.com/fog-mod-asap-t359752.html
If someone out there wants to give it a shot, you'd be my hero. I'll probably get to it one of these days.

SSGCoxie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport, 6MT, Sonic Gray
Country flag
With the Fog light relay inside the cabin, there's plenty of options to tag power from in the driver's side fuse box.

I'll do some research and find some different options for power.
1)DRL
2)IGN
3)BATT +

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How about just figuring out how to wire them so you can turn them on manually at any time?

SSGCoxie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How about just figuring out how to wire them so you can turn them on manually at any time?
Sure thing! I'll figure out some options and post up. Just from reading the owner's manual, Fuse #22 inside is the DRL. A quick fuse tap and done. Details to follow.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Sure thing! I'll figure out some options and post up. Just from reading the owner's manual, Fuse #22 inside is the DRL. A quick fuse tap and done. Details to follow.
Thats my immediate guess too as long as someone figures out where the fog power source is. :)

SSGCoxie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thats my immediate guess too as long as someone figures out where the fog power source is. :)
My fog lights were factory installed. Therefore, this document: http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/civic/2017/5dr/foglights.pdf is not helpful.

Also, it appears that the fog light power is routed through the headlamp switch. That's why the fog lights only turn on when low beams are on. To be able to turn on fog lights whenever you want, will require removal of the turn signal switch to investigate.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let us all know so that anyone who wants to do it in the future can perform the mod.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
My fog lights were factory installed. Therefore, this document: http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/civic/2017/5dr/foglights.pdf is not helpful.

Also, it appears that the fog light power is routed through the headlamp switch. That's why the fog lights only turn on when low beams are on. To be able to turn on fog lights whenever you want, will require removal of the turn signal switch to investigate.
Mine were also factory installed. Page 16-18 will be helpful as it shows the relay and accessory connectors. My car is uses step 56, I am assuming your sport would be either 53/54 because of the lack of the remote starter option.

In my old 93 civic, there used to be various accessory connectors on the fusebox that had different power sources. I would just ignore the lowbeam one and use a parking light one or switched 12V source instead. Like you mentioned, I also think the combination switch may have to do with it as well.

kcwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I would love to do this too! (Fog lights on with parking lights only).
Fog light switch on the turn signal (fog lights ON when low beams are ON) also turns fog lights OFF when high beams are ON. This is important (in the US) because many/most (all?) states limit a vehicle to 4 forward facing lights. So, legally you can have Fog+LB, or LB+HB, but not Fog+LB+HB.

SSGCoxie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here's the internals to the light control switch. I thought it might be possible to jumper inside the control unit. However, this network is only logic control that feeds the BCM.
Honda Civic 10th gen REQUEST: Independent DRL fog light mod Light control internals.JPG
Another route will need to be found.
Honda Civic 10th gen REQUEST: Independent DRL fog light mod Light control externals.JPG
A positive is that the fog light switch is a simple toggle that utilizes the green/black connector. This connector could be modified to supply external power to the Fog light relay. Which is this one:
Honda Civic 10th gen REQUEST: Independent DRL fog light mod underhood fuse

I'm thinking of tapping power from DRL's and routing it to the fog switch, then feeding it to the relay solenoid.

1) Not sure of the power rating of the fog light switch in the light control assembly.
Is it capable of handling the relay coil load?
2) Need to trace the solenoid wiring from the fog light relay to where it enters the cabin, if at all.

Yes, I know this would allow for the operation of low, high, and fog lights simultaneously. Which, in my state, is an equipment infraction.
However, the operation of fog lights, while not having low beams on is worth it.