REQUEST: Clutch install on 1.5t

northwestghosts_cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hey guys! Getting ready to order the clutchmasters fx400 6 puck clutch, and was curious about installation. I don't have a garage but there is a shop in town that you can rent with their lift and everything for a day. I'm not 100% sure if I want to tackle this, though I have done clutches and motor swaps on my last few ek's (they are so much easier). Has anyone done it? And if so, what does it entail? I assume you'd have to remove the steering rack on this car. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Honda Civic 10th gen REQUEST: Clutch install on 1.5t 20171017_093304
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve not done the job myself but I’ve heard the best way to do it (if properly equipped) is to drop the sub frame. A lift will be your friend and a subframe jack would be helpful.

OP
OP
northwestghosts_cc

northwestghosts_cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I’ve not done the job myself but I’ve heard the best way to do it (if properly equipped) is to drop the sub frame. A lift will be your friend and a subframe jack would be helpful.
Unfortunately I don' have a subframe jack, I was worried about that being an issue. All I'll have is a lift and hand tools. I want to be able to do it myself but don't want to start it until i know exactly what im getting myself into, especially on this new of a car. All the other installs I've done on this car have gone smoothly, but the clutch is a different story lol.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unfortunately I don' have a subframe jack, I was worried about that being an issue. All I'll have is a lift and hand tools. I want to be able to do it myself but don't want to start it until i know exactly what im getting myself into, especially on this new of a car. All the other installs I've done on this car have gone smoothly, but the clutch is a different story lol.
I’ve heard it can be done without a lift and all that, it just turns a 2-3 hour job into an 8 hour job. If you have plenty of time and a buddy to help some, I’m sure you can handle it.

The FX400 seems a bit on the aggressive side but you may have your reasons.

OP
OP
northwestghosts_cc

northwestghosts_cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I’ve heard it can be done without a lift and all that, it just turns a 2-3 hour job into an 8 hour job. If you have plenty of time and a buddy to help some, I’m sure you can handle it.

The FX400 seems a bit on the aggressive side but you may have your reasons.
Yea I'll have a buddy helping me with it. And the only reason why I'm going with the 6 puck fx400 is because I want to put something strong in that will hold good power, because I do plan on going all out on this build. Currently, with the fmic, intake, catless dp and full exhaust and custom tune by vit, I slip in almost every gear. I know the power potential is there. Our factory clutch however is not.

Mentoz

First Name
Clemente
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m pretty curious too. I bought the same clutch. Rich tuned down in auburn quoted me 600-650 to install but I’m willing to diy

OP
OP
northwestghosts_cc

northwestghosts_cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I’m pretty curious too. I bought the same clutch. Rich tuned down in auburn quoted me 600-650 to install but I’m willing to diy
Where are you located? Rich is only a 20 minute drive for me. 650 ain't bad either. Come down to Tacoma and do a diy vid for everyone here with me?:)

Mentoz

First Name
Clemente
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Where are you located? Rich is only a 20 minute drive for me. 650 ain't bad either. Come down to Tacoma and do a diy vid for everyone here with me?:)
That’s sounds coo I’m out in federal way when u plan on doing it?

Mentoz

First Name
Clemente
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
Somebody told me they did it with a friend in 6 hours without seeing the subframe. Done remember if it was a driveway job or with a lift though...

I still gotta get mine in too, got talked into the 350 though... Hope it holds up down the road... I only plan on upgraded stock frame turbo though for now, not a complete swap so I might be limited to well below the clamping force of the 350 anyways. If I ever get to mine I'll try and do a little write up/filming but who knows when.

OP
OP
northwestghosts_cc

northwestghosts_cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Somebody told me they did it with a friend in 6 hours without seeing the subframe. Done remember if it was a driveway job or with a lift though...

I still gotta get mine in too, got talked into the 350 though... Hope it holds up down the road... I only plan on upgraded stock frame turbo though for now, not a complete swap so I might be limited to well below the clamping force of the 350 anyways. If I ever get to mine I'll try and do a little write up/filming but who knows when.
Any reason why you chose the fx350 instead of the 400? I figured you go for the 400 just because of the power you're already making, and it seems like you'll be doing more to yours as well.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any reason why you chose the fx350 instead of the 400? I figured you go for the 400 just because of the power you're already making, and it seems like you'll be doing more to yours as well.
I’m not madmatt but the FX350 is 110% stronger than stock. I don’t see any stock (or stock size) turbo builds needing any more than that. Time will tell I suppose.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
Yeah I don't know if they rate it to hold 110% more than factory power levels or 110% more than the factory clutch can hold. But whether it's 385 or 585lb.ft I think it's a safe bet I won't be making morer than 385 for quite some time.

I actually asked vit if he thought the 350 would be good enough for my current plans and had a 400 owner tell me to go 350 as well.

OP
OP
northwestghosts_cc

northwestghosts_cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Yeah I don't know if they rate it to hold 110% more than factory power levels or 110% more than the factory clutch can hold. But whether it's 385 or 585lb.ft I think it's a safe bet I won't be making morer than 385 for quite some time.

I actually asked vit if he thought the 350 would be good enough for my current plans and had a 400 owner tell me to go 350 as well.
What did the 400 owner think of theirs? I'm wondering if it's too much for a car that will also be a daily. I just want something that'll hold good power.
Sponsored