Replacing the cloth center console/armrest with leather?

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
what about just treating the cloth with some fabric spray like they do on seats, is that just 3m fabric protectant or somthing to keep it nice.
Sponsored

BMO

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Sedan
I have my car on lease so i'm assuming if I changed it out with leather I would be charged by the dealer for "damage" when if I return the car (I might decide to keep it who knows). Correct me if im wrong.
The cloth held with staples, easy to take off the staples but time consuming. Staple the leather and when your lease is over just undo the staples.

First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Here are the oem pieces I installed in my car. I re-stitched the trim in red to match the si interior. The factory thread originally was a light gray, almost white color. Imo much better look and feel compared to the cloth. It doesn't collect the gunk as well as feel so rough on bare skinned forearms....

IMG_20180610_092520402_HDR.jpg
Any damage if you had to remove or change them? Thanks I’m advance

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Prelude VTEC, 1990 Civic EX hatch, 2018 civic Si coupe
Country flag
Any damage if you had to remove or change them? Thanks I’m advance
The wrap itself, was any adhesive used and was the original cover removed?
One of the members above (@Sadler , @BMO , @Dying2Live ) will have to answer that for you. The picture you referred from my install above was a swap of cloth oem pieces for complete oem leather pieces I ordered from a Honda parts site. (Pre-built, snap in place, minus the red stitching)

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
what about just treating the cloth with some fabric spray like they do on seats, is that just 3m fabric protectant or somthing to keep it nice.
Didn't work for me... Made no noticeable difference at all. The texture of that cloth is the problem, and no (amount of) spray can change its quality.

@Blacklude4's solution for this is really awesome; unfortunately Honda is still selling those leather armrests at ludicrous prices, so it would be very expensive to apply the same methodology to door armrests... :(

Dying2Live

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX Sedan Manual
Country flag
Everything pulled out. Going from tan cloth to black leather

Honda Civic 10th gen Replacing the cloth center console/armrest with leather? IMG_4727.JPG

Last edited:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
The cloth held with staples, easy to take off the staples but time consuming. Staple the leather and when your lease is over just undo the staples.
Yeah I could do that, just like you said it's time consuming. I guess if it bothers me enough I'll eventually do it.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Full leather now really epic going from cloth to this

Driver.JPG

Center Console.JPG

Passenger Front.JPG

Passenger Rear Seat.JPG
Damn that Looks really good! Thats actually a great combo, an LX 6 Speed with a leather interior, unique for sure.

Dying2Live

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX Sedan Manual
Country flag
it is custom leather, glad to report the installers did a superb job getting it tight, was concerned about the baggy look. You can see in the back seat pic the plastic sides are still tan plastic need to order the black ones from dealer

BMO

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Sedan
The wrap itself, was any adhesive used and was the original cover removed?
With the eBay product, you get adhesive tape, some plastic trim removers and the three pieces of leather wraps. Removing the pieces are easy, pull upwards on the side pieces not sideways. For the center piece there two screws by the handle if you slide it forward. After the screws are removed, it held by 4 tabs so pull upwards once again. The cloth is stapled to the plastic pieces. Just get a flat head screw driver to remove them and restaple the leather wraps. A tip would be to use the tape to keep everything in place where you want them

Honda Civic 10th gen Replacing the cloth center console/armrest with leather? 20180609_213601

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
With the eBay product, you get adhesive tape, some plastic trim removers and the three pieces of leather wraps. Removing the pieces are easy, pull upwards on the side pieces not sideways. For the center piece there two screws by the handle if you slide it forward. After the screws are removed, it held by 4 tabs so pull upwards once again. The cloth is stapled to the plastic pieces. Just get a flat head screw driver to remove them and restaple the leather wraps. A tip would be to use the tape to keep everything in place where you want them

20180609_213601.jpg
How is that leather from ebay holding up for you? Any peeling or anything
Sponsored