Replacing motor mounts gives more power. gearbox breaks.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hasport motor mounts that failed https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/melted-hasport-motor-mount-bushings.81779/#post-1229056 have been replaced. The car is faster on the track! The theory is that the vibration at high revs was causing the knock sensors to cut back power. The only power mod is a TSP Stage 1+ tune with a 27Won intake.

At New Jersey Motorsports Park, Lightning track, last year my max speed in the straight was about 112-115, this year recorded 120 and still pulling strongly at braking time. No change to engine. I did get suspension work done, with custom camber plates, over the winter to get a degree or two more front caster and camber on stock suspension. It turns much better, so maybe the top speed is partially from getting through the prior turn faster, but I didn't become a better driver over the winter.

Unfortunately, the transmission failed. Now it is being rebuilt. 4th gear was damaged. Interesting that Honda HPD sells a stronger 4th gear, so it must be a known issue.
Honda Civic 10th gen Replacing motor mounts gives more power. gearbox breaks. IMG_20230330_081732

Honda Civic 10th gen Replacing motor mounts gives more power. gearbox breaks. IMG_20230330_081757

Last edited:
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Was weather and temperature similar between both days? Turbo cars power output (especially small displacement engines) is definitely affected a good amount by temperature and humidity.

Motor mounts do help transmit power to the ground better but I wouldn't chalk that up as the cause for your transmission failure. The Civics that HPD builds for track use run close to stock power levels and they fail transmissions on track from time to time. Hondas have never had the most robust transmissions, older K stuff is the same way.

OP
OP

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Was weather and temperature similar between both days? Turbo cars power output (especially small displacement engines) is definitely affected a good amount by temperature and humidity.

Motor mounts do help transmit power to the ground better but I wouldn't chalk that up as the cause for your transmission failure. The Civics that HPD builds for track use run close to stock power levels and they fail transmissions on track from time to time. Hondas have never had the most robust transmissions, older K stuff is the same way.
Same time of year on both cold and wet days days. I didn't mean to suggest the motor mount change caused the failure. It was long term wear just coming due.
I was so happy with the car's better performance, which suddenly came to a grinding halt. Fortunately, repairs are in progress. I'm glad I started the season early.

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
HPD gear is not designed for more power. I have a thread laying out current options for our transmissions. I'm running CAPTS 3rd and 4th right now and ordered 5th. I'm convinced CAPTS gears are the real deal for holding power. If you are planning to race, where you will be full-boost most of the time, and you are on a stage 2 tune, you should upgrade the gears. I've decided on 3-5 for my application. I've got $1,500 in CAPTS gears and looking to install a full set of carbon synchros also. I have more to say on this subject, but will comment on my thread as new info is available.
Sponsored