Replacing Factory Tweeters

Steven H

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
I'm replacing my door speakers on my 17 Hatchback EX with 2 way speakers. However I've noticed 1 of my factory tweeters sounds like its cracked. Has anyone just replaced the factory tweeters?
I got some JBL-GTO9T. I have seen where others have used them and replaced tweeters on their tourings but all the did was hook the tweeters up to their factory tweeter wires.

I think I would need to use the inline crossovers with these but not sure how they need to be hooked up.

I'm probably gonna take it to a shop to wire them up, but I'm curious at to what all they might do/screw up.
Sponsored

Mikeguyver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 16 civic Ex, and i replaced my tweeters with the JBL-GTO9T and they soud great! I also have the Cerwin Vega 10 inch powered under seat woofer to round out the sound. These replacement components really work well with each other. You wont get earth shattering bass. You must look elsewhere. Good luck!

Mikeguyver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The tweeter sail pannel needs some finessing to make the Jbls fit. All I did was unplug the stock tweets and push the tinned wires into the existing plug. I didn't change the crossovers. I also used the JBL tweeter housing so I can aim them how I want. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Steven H

Steven H

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
The tweeter sail pannel needs some finessing to make the Jbls fit. All I did was unplug the stock tweets and push the tinned wires into the existing plug. I didn't change the crossovers. I also used the JBL tweeter housing so I can aim them how I want. Hope this helps.
If they work like that on your ex then ill do it that way. I appreciate the Iinput. Do you have any pics of the way you have your tweeters mounted?

Mikeguyver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If they work like that on your ex then ill do it that way. I appreciate the Iinput. Do you have any pics of the way you have your tweeters mounted?
Honda Civic 10th gen Replacing Factory Tweeters IMG_20170219_150508
I used the positioning mount from the Jbls. I also used a small piece of sandpaper to slowly take enough material off the sail pannel so the new tweeters fit snugly.
Honda Civic 10th gen Replacing Factory Tweeters IMG_20170219_150508
Honda Civic 10th gen Replacing Factory Tweeters IMG_20170219_153740
Honda Civic 10th gen Replacing Factory Tweeters IMG_20170219_153740
This is my all-in-one sub. Easy install and sounds amazing!

OP
OP
Steven H

Steven H

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
I think I need to do the sub upgrade. I put jbl gt7-6 in my front doors. The highs and mids sound good but lack the bass the factory speakers had. Going to leave the factory speakers in the back doors for now. think ill leave the factory tweeters in the front and replace my cracked tweeter with a factory one. Do you still have yours? Also how did the sub connect to the factory radio or did you replace it too?

Mikeguyver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think I need to do the sub upgrade. I put jbl gt7-6 in my front doors. The highs and mids sound good but lack the bass the factory speakers had. Going to leave the factory speakers in the back doors for now. think ill leave the factory tweeters in the front and replace my cracked tweeter with a factory one. Do you still have yours? Also how did the sub connect to the factory radio or did you replace it too?
Kept factory infotainment system. Ran power to battery, ran ground to body, and connected input signal to rear speakers. Really easy. The sub senses the power to the speakers and turns on.

cmanman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Kept factory infotainment system. Ran power to battery, ran ground to body, and connected input signal to rear speakers. Really easy. The sub senses the power to the speakers and turns on.
@Mikeguyver @Steven H do the JBL tweeters you installed have inline crossovers? Crutchfield shows JBL GTO19T with inline crossovers but these do not appear to be the same exact model number? Are these the same tweeters you installed?
@Mikeguyver just curious where you tapped your rears from? Behind the HU or at the door location?

OP
OP
Steven H

Steven H

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
@Mikeguyver @Steven H do the JBL tweeters you installed have inline crossovers? Crutchfield shows JBL GTO19T with inline crossovers but these do not appear to be the same exact model number? Are these the same tweeters you installed?
@Mikeguyver just curious where you tapped your rears from? Behind the HU or at the door location?
Yep. Those have inline crossovers. After putting my new front door speakers I decided I don't need the new tweeters. I think im gonna sell them.

Check out t taps with male adapters. They are a pretty easy way to tap into wiring without cutting or splicing.
Sponsored