Replacing battery - need an OBD power source?

Illiya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXT, 1973 Porsche 914, 2015 BMW F800GT, 1996 Honda Nighthawk.
Country flag
Hello All. I am going to replace my battery tomorrow after 62000 miles and over three years. I read it is a good idea to hook up an OBD connector with a small battery so while the engine battery is disconnected, the computers and radio do not loose any data. Is this recommended by those of you who have already replaced their batteries or simply disconnected then reconnected it for some other reason. I also read some people simply disconnect the old battery and install a new one, and the car relearns what it needs to in a short time. Thank you for your replies.
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I found that with Google ;

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2016_Honda_Civic_LX_2.0L_4_Cyl._Sedan/battery/replace_battery

Replacing the battery in your Civic involves removing the terminals. When you reconnect the terminals, your radio presets are likely to be cleared out. In some Civics, you may need to re-enter a security code to get your radio to work again. Check for this code in your owners manual - it will usually be either a sticker or small card in the booklet. If you can't find it, call Honda and they will give you the code for free. In many Hondas, the transmission "learns" how you drive over time and makes adjustments, so you may experience altered driving dynamics as your car re-learns your driving style after changing the battery.

Honda Civic 10th gen Replacing battery - need an OBD power source? Capture d’écran, le 2019-11-23 à 04.36.25

From another link ;
https://www.hondamagic.com/servicefaqs/how-do-i-change-my-car-battery/

Remove the cigarette lighter and plug the memory keeper into socket. If you don't have a memory keeper make sure you have all the PINs for your electronic equipment before you start. You may wish to check your car manual to see what devices may be affected

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I have a 2016 Civic Touring and I replaced the battery without any secondary battery. I can tell you that you will get lots of error codes when you start the car up. They do eventually go away after a couple of trips, though. Also, one time I disconnected the battery to clear a Headlight Problem code, and the infotainment center went crazy. I had to remove the radio fuses and wait a few seconds before replacing them to fix that issue.

So, if there is a way to connect a temporary battery through the OBD connector, that would be a good idea. Let us know if you try it and if it works.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can't find transformer.

I will use old battery to keep memory

Honda Civic 10th gen Replacing battery - need an OBD power source? Capture d’écran, le 2019-11-23 à 14.30.22

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
The radio does not lose any data or settings with the battery removed. This isn't 1999.

The vehicle has maybe a 30 second relearning period for a few systems, but nothing major.

If you have a CVT you may lose all your learned transmission behavior. Your trip data may be reset.

The service manual does not involve a power maintenance device in the battery replacement procedure.

I've pulled the battery cable probably a dozen times in the last few months doing various things. Only thing I've ever lost is my current trip mileage and MPG.

OP
OP

Illiya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXT, 1973 Porsche 914, 2015 BMW F800GT, 1996 Honda Nighthawk.
Country flag
Thank you all for your replies. I ordered an OBD memory saver from Amazon that connected to a 9 volt battery. The Interstate battery I purchased from Costco has a CCA of 500 as opposed to the OEM of 410. I followed the directions on the memory saver and installed the new battery, but then starting the car, the dashboard lit up with various idiot lights such as the lane departure and TPMS to name a couple. The message “Drive carefully, systems initializing” also displayed. At that point it was late at night so I just drove the car around the block to see if that would reset the systems and turn the indicators off. It did not. So the next morning I started the car and left for work. The indicator lights were on again, but then after two blocks they went OUT! The car has been fine ever since and in fact, seems to accelerate more smoothly from a stop. So do not bother on our cars with a battery memory saver. Perhaps if I had an alternate 12 volt source I would have had better results, and would have saved $25. If I was changing a battery on a new Mercedes or Porsche which have more elaborate systems, I might then try an OBD memory saving device then. But not when I change the battery in my 2016 EXT next time. Also, I did not loose radio presets, or “A” and “B” mileage counts.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Last edited:

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Yeah, a 9-Volt battery is not sufficient for a 12-Volt system. You need to use a Portable Car Jump Starter as a power source.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you have a CVT you may lose all your learned transmission behavior. Your trip data may be reset.
Interesting, I wonder if someone ever noticed a different CVT behavior after unplugging the battery. Do you think this is noticeable?

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've had my battery off for up to three days without any sort of memory saver. No problems at all. When the car first starts, just drive in a straight line to recalibrate the steering angle.

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan • 03 Kawi ZX-6R 636
Country flag
Upgraded my shifter this weekend and the negative battery cable was off for a day and a half... I wasn't in much of a hurry... you know, take a trim piece off, drink a beer, repeat. ?

Anyhow, reconnected the cable, started the car and it went through its' systems initialization, and all system and vehicle settings were preserved, including the radio presets. The only thing that had to be restarted was the immobilizer system.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Upgraded my shifter this weekend and the negative battery cable was off for a day and a half... I wasn't in much of a hurry... you know, take a trim piece off, drink a beer, repeat. ?

Anyhow, reconnected the cable, started the car and it went through its' systems initialization, and all system and vehicle settings were preserved, including the radio presets. The only thing that had to be restarted was the immobilizer system.
Yeah, it seems like they finally got smart and started storing vehicle settings in some form of non-volatile memory.

I guess price/capacity and/or reliability of NAND is finally in line with automotive OEM standards.
Sponsored