Replacing an lx radio unit with one from an ex

GaryBusey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Well after a few months of debating taking the plunge I ordered an lx with a manual earlier in the week, which will arrive in about 4 weeks. It's exactly what I wanted with the one exception being a wanted a better radio with Android auto. Now my question is pretty simple if I were able to come across an ex radio unit would it just be as simple as plug and play (I know Sirius and that sort of thing wouldn't work) or would more work be involved?
Sponsored

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well after a few months of debating taking the plunge I ordered an lx with a manual earlier in the week, which will arrive in about 4 weeks. It's exactly what I wanted with the one exception being a wanted a better radio with Android auto. Now my question is pretty simple if I were able to come across an ex radio unit would it just be as simple as plug and play (I know Sirius and that sort of thing wouldn't work) or would more work be involved?
Honestly, if you just have to have a different HU, an aftermarket might be easiest. I think the EX has different or extra plugs. I know some of the functions wouldn't work. I don't know what the "Android auto" is, so no comment on that one.

Personally I think the stock HU in my LX sounds pretty good. Changing the speakers and adding a subwoofer would make a world of difference to you. Quite honestly, you'd be surprised by what a small amp and a pair of 6x9 speakers will do.

Rock city. :headbang:

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
i might just work, but might not. if you could find one to try out its an easy removal. i put a pioneer in mine, with the kits they have now it would be somewhat easy. i have every function back except the steering wheel controls. i'll do that when i put the better speakers in there. and yes it sounds thousands of times betta. at least for me it does.

10genjdm

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CIVIC HATCBACK SPORT 1.5T
Country flag
Any update on this thread? Curious about doing this myself?

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
I would go aftermarket before i put a different Honda radio in. They sound TERRIBLE. I swapped the OEM base radio for a Kenwood DNX996XR and only don't time alignment and lowered the level of the front left speaker 1dB and the stage is wide, centered, solid, and sounds orders of magnitude better. It has decent low end now too, and that's without tweeters. It'll hold me over until spring when I upgrade the rest.
Sponsored