Replacing Alcantara steering wheel for Leather

TiltCtrls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I had my stock wheel repaired as a good will repair through Honda. That wheel was eventually sent over to SWEIDIT to get upholstered in leather and Alcantera (leather sides with Alcantera top and bottom).
How much did it cost for SWEIDIT to upholster the steering wheel? It looks sweet!
Sponsored

SGP_TypeR

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
If I am going to keep my Type R long term, I'd definitely consider the Mugen. I feel like they make high quality products and I like the style.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
If I am going to keep my Type R long term, I'd definitely consider the Mugen. I feel like they make high quality products and I like the style.
And I feel like they brand products made in the same Chinese factories as everything else and are taking us all for fools.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
And I feel like they brand products made in the same Chinese factories as everything else and are taking us all for fools.
It's possible the steering wheel is manufactured in China, but I haven't seen its design crop up on any other wheels. I'm curious where they source their cores from as well for the steering wheel. I know the BuddyClub and wheels like it weigh about 2x more than stock with a larger diameter resulting in a loss of steering feel. It's the reason why I went from my BuddyClub-style CF wheel back to the stock upholstered; just upholstering my wheel costs as much as, if not more, than the third party wheels.

SGP_TypeR

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
It's possible the steering wheel is manufactured in China, but I haven't seen its design crop up on any other wheels. I'm curious where they source their cores from as well for the steering wheel. I know the BuddyClub and wheels like it weigh about 2x more than stock with a larger diameter resulting in a loss of steering feel. It's the reason why I went from my BuddyClub-style CF wheel back to the stock upholstered; just upholstering my wheel costs as much as, if not more, than the third party wheels.
I have read the cores for the Mugen wheels are OEM Honda wheels. They have the same markings and say made in Taiwan on them.

OP
OP

kenny

First Name
kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
ahh, i didn't even think about the weight and how it'd make the steering feel. i wonder if anyone has experience with the mugen wheel and 1. how it's held up and 2. what the steering feel is like?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I have read the cores for the Mugen wheels are OEM Honda wheels. They have the same markings and say made in Taiwan on them.
The only person I know that has stated that was Aston D Martin. I don't remember what markings are on the OEM wheel, so I'd have to run to pictures for that. Looking on SWIDIT's instagram page you can see FK8 wheels and the markings that appear on them then looking at JPUSA* and King you can see the Mugen wheel has different markings on it as well as the Mugen branding.

That said, I would trust Mugen's cores as well. I actually do trust Buddy Club's cores (and the Chinese ones), they weigh a ton and feel as robust as OEM.

I know there was a story of non-OEM cores snapping from Aston D Martin (he seems to be the only one who has a story of it happening). It's hard to press for more info from him, but last time someone did, he said the car was involved in an accident that broke the driver's wrists; there was no airbag on the aftermarket wheel. He kind of went silent after this, but just based on that, it wasn't a Buddy Club style wheel which he was crapping on.

*I include JPUSA since their image is higher quality that King's, but it depicts the same thing.

ahh, i didn't even think about the weight and how it'd make the steering feel. i wonder if anyone has experience with the mugen wheel and 1. how it's held up and 2. what the steering feel is like?
I actually wonder this too. It would be nice to put the Mugen wheel on a scale. I did email King and inquire about this but they never replied. I know the stock OEM wheel without buttons, airbags, wires, etc. weighs about 2.5 lbs while the CF wheel I had weighed about 5 lbs. I was actually really surprised about how light the FK8 wheel was, really wasn't expecting it to be that light; it weighs like nothing.

OP
OP

kenny

First Name
kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Replacing Alcantara steering wheel for Leather unnamed

I actually wonder this too. It would be nice to put the Mugen wheel on a scale. I did email King and inquire about this but they never replied. I know the stock OEM wheel without buttons, airbags, wires, etc. weighs about 2.5 lbs while the CF wheel I had weighed about 5 lbs. I was actually really surprised about how light the FK8 wheel was, really wasn't expecting it to be that light; it weighs like nothing.

well i can’t answer my 1st question yet, but it seems like it’ll hold up a lot better than the OEM alcantara wheel. the perforated leather and carbon fiber feel a lot more durable.

the answer to the 2nd, it’s heavy, but not in a bad way (at least to me). definitely a slight loss of steering feel (wasn’t able to weigh it, but at least 2 times heavier than OEM, probably similar to your CF wheel). UPS tracking listed it @ 7lbs for what it’s worth. but it definitely makes up for it in ergonomics and materials.

vactor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT3, 981
Country flag
i used the OEM leather wheel. it is perfection. hello fellow austinite!

Jimsta303

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I bought a Mugen Steering wheel for my 2020 CW and its made in taiwan.. so you're kind of right. I bought it off king motorsports . The quality is meh. It was great when new.. but after a while it started to bubble on the carbon fiber parts and starting to ridge at the seems. Kinda sad since it costs $800.

OP
OP

kenny

First Name
kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
I bought a Mugen Steering wheel for my 2020 CW and its made in taiwan.. so you're kind of right. I bought it off king motorsports . The quality is meh. It was great when new.. but after a while it started to bubble on the carbon fiber parts and starting to ridge at the seems. Kinda sad since it costs $800.
aww dang. exactly what i didn't want to hear. do you happen to have any pictures of how bad the wheel got? and what did you change to instead?
Sponsored