Replacing 2019 Si CarPlay headunit with an aftermarket CarPlay headunit

perkidddoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The headunit on my Si has been one of the annoying part of this car, there's times that I'd have to restart it at least 3x/week on my commute because it freezes, doesn't detect my phone, goes black etc. I've seen a video of someone replacing it and having all the cameras (rear, side mirror) work fine, can anyone recommend a reliable brand that is better than the OEM unit and are there any settings/features that I'd lose if I was to go with aftermarket unit?
Sponsored

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I think you loose all abilities to adjust all settings that are not related to the HU. Items like vehicle settings, maintenance reset, TPMS calibration, etc.. However, there might be other ways to do some of the items without using the HU, but make sure to do research first.

Last edited:

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@bikejog well that's a big no no then. Well this is wack. GTI it is.
jk
You may be able to reset the oil % (maintenance minder?) without the head unit https://www.mymillerhonda.com/blog/how-to-reset-honda-oil-maintenance-light/

Not sure about the the other stuff such as TMPS, vehicle settngs, etc..

But I hear you dude. But changing car because of HU? You got money to burn? lol...

But I'm sure all of the settings can be manipulated via CanBus. If you're tech inclined, then something like this? https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=220138

OP
OP

perkidddoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@bikejog I don't really want to go through all that, I guess it's fine to reset every so few days. As for the GTI, I've considered it for many reasons but I'm kidding, I'm keeping this one for now.

Thanks for sharing those links!

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@bikejog I don't really want to go through all that, I guess it's fine to reset every so few days. As for the GTI, I've considered it for many reasons but I'm kidding, I'm keeping this one for now.

Thanks for sharing those links!
I only had two hung ups with mine for 1 year and >6K miles. I hope it doesn't get worst over time. lol...
Sponsored