DFWfk8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 FK8
Country flag
Has anyone replaced the factory subwoofer in the FK8? If so, I have a couple of questions. First, does it run well off of the factory amp? Second, is there excessive body rattle? I’m thinking of replacing mine but don’t want to do too many extra mods at this point. Looking for something the will improve bass without having to add other things right now.
Sponsored

rallyered225

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
You're going to want an aftermarket amp if you're replacing the factory sub. I went with the Rockford Punch 8" shallow mount and a Rockford mono amp. The factory amp will technically work but just isn't designed to handle an upgraded subwoofer.

OP
OP
DFWfk8

DFWfk8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 FK8
Country flag
You're going to want an aftermarket amp if you're replacing the factory sub. I went with the Rockford Punch 8" shallow mount and a Rockford mono amp. The factory amp will technically work but just isn't designed to handle an upgraded subwoofer.
What about body rattle?

rallyered225

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
What about body rattle?
You should be fine. The stock enclosure is secured by (3) 10mm bolts and (1) 10mm nut. As long as you tighten these back down and use fleece tape on any wiring you shouldn't have any rattling.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Can you link the sub and amp you used and pics of how it's all mounted? Are they plug and play? My biggest thing is not having to run additional wiring/having drop-in components/not having to drill to mount an amp.

rallyered225

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
Can you link the sub and amp you used and pics of how it's all mounted? Are they plug and play? My biggest thing is not having to run additional wiring/having drop-in components/not having to drill to mount an amp.
You're going to have to run additional wiring regardless with any aftermarket amp/sub setup. Depending on where you decide to mount your amp with determine if you have to drill any holes. Like most people with the FK8 I mounted the amp in the tool box under the mat in the trunk. I only drilled holes in the side of the mat to better hide the wiring. Otherwise, no drilling is required. You will have to run new speaker wiring to the replacement sub in the stock enclosure if this is the route you want to take and tap into the signal from the head unit.

My setup:

Sub: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKFORD-F...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Amp: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rockford-F...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I recommend you don't buy anything larger than an 8-gauge wiring kit for the amp to utilize the rubber grommet routing hole in the kick panel.
Sponsored