Replaced battery under warranty for the 2nd time in 2yrs!

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Still on the original 2015 October battery. However I drive the car almost every day.

Maybe get a battery tender if letting the vehicle sit more than 4 days or so.
My 2018 Civic sit on drive way 2 weeks in cold winter and start like in summer.
Bad battery need a replacement not a gadget.

Same with my wife 2016 Civic with often 4 days with no starting
Sponsored

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
My 2018 Civic sit on drive way 2 weeks in cold winter and start like in summer.
Bad battery need a replacement not a gadget.

Same with my wife 2016 Civic with often 4 days with no starting
-repeated- draining of battery kills them. So sure you can do it like 20 times but you will kill your battery. Study up on lead acid batteries and they are damaged by draining. Irreversible damage especially to the high CCA batteries because of thin plates for more surface area. They aren't like your phone battery.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
-repeated- draining of battery kills them. So sure you can do it like 20 times but you will kill your battery. Study up on lead acid batteries and they are damaged by draining. Irreversible damage especially to the high CCA batteries because of thin plates for more surface area. They aren't like your phone battery.

A good battery is not draining to be damaged in few days comme on. Or there is a short circuit / electrical problem in the car.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A good battery is not draining to be damaged in few days comme on. Or there is a short circuit / electrical problem in the car.
your'e assuming the honda battery is good, or shall I say sufficient for the job honda is using it for. I surmise its not. Especially now with remote start and walk away locking and all the gadgets that require use of the battery. Its like the ECU never goes to sleep anymore either

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
your'e assuming the honda battery is good, or shall I say sufficient for the job honda is using it for.
Where I say that ? I just say a good battery ( with enough power for the car gadget ) and with car electrical in good order should not discharge in few days.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Assuming the battery is putting out ~500 A at that time... assuming 3 second crank (that seems awful long), that'd be only about .4 AH out of the battery.

I bet there's something like .05 A of a discharge rate with a car sitting. So after a day, it'd be like ... it'd equal about 3 cranks worth of energy. It may be less... but I can't imagine it'd be much more. I've got to pull my HID wiring harness out of my car one of these days. When I do, I'll have to check it. There is a lot of electronics so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a healthy one. I've definately left my own car for 2 weeks a couple times and it was started fine.

Honestly... just looking at what capacity of what a replacement battery would be, were talking ~40 AH based on some examples I've seen. That would be 100 3 second cranks or over a month worth of 'being off energy', though admittedly, it'd not have enough left to execute a crank towards the tail end. I've regularly gone to sea and come home, pulling vehicles out of deployed parking that sat for months that started up. Admittedly, some didn't... but that was a few months... not weeks. Most fire right up.

Sure lead acid batteries don't like getting rapidly discharged and sitting in a partially charged state for an extended period. They don't like repeated partial charges. Deep cycling several times will certainly kill them because of their thin plates. I'm pretty well versed in flooded lead acid and sealed lead acid batteries. They have their good and bad points... but the idea of needing a battery tender after 4 days of a car sitting w/o being used is ludacris.

If you can't crank after such a short period of time and you know your battery is good, you have an electrical issue where you have some major parasitic load. Quantify it by using an ammeter in series with a battery cable and the post. Isolate it by pulling fuses until the load goes away or down to near nil. If you don't know the battery is good, do a load test on our battery to see if that's the culprit. The idea of using trickle chargers/tenders/desulfater devices on car driven even semi frequently seems wildly unnecessary. Your alternator is rated at 130 A as I recall. Assuming it's only putting out 1/3 of that at when you're driving, and only 1/2 of that going in the battery and the rest powering the car, that's still ~20 A going to the battery. That'd replace what you lost in a crank in a couple of minutes.

If a person can't let their car sit for more than week without it being unable to crank, there's something wrong. I wouldn't want to live with having it hooked to a charger just to keep it going. It's not a plug in hybrid after all... ;) Life's too short to worry whether you car is going to start because of a crappy battery or to live with an unlikely, but possible excessive parasitic drain. I'd replace the battery or get the drain fixed so I didn't have to worry if that newish $20k car won't start because of a $100-200 battery. Rather than spending money on a tender or even hooking a charger up and setting it to 2A and living like that... I'd do something about it. Don't be that guy with a cord running under the hood of your DD/semi-DD in the driveway.
Sponsored