Replaced battery under warranty for the 2nd time in 2yrs!

OP
OP
kurokitsune

kurokitsune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
mine fast beeps at me all the time, but then as I walk away I hear it lock anyway.
Oh wow that is interesting! That doesn't work for me unfortunately. A few nights back it triple fast beeped since my fiancee closed her door after I had exited already, and I forgot to lock it manually. Next morning I realized the car was left unlocked through the night. So now I am anal about making sure I hear the two separate beeps on walking away.

Still really don't want to disable the walk away feature though! haha
Sponsored

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh wow that is interesting! That doesn't work for me unfortunately. A few nights back it triple fast beeped since my fiancee closed her door after I had exited already, and I forgot to lock it manually. Next morning I realized the car was left unlocked through the night. So now I am anal about making sure I hear the two separate beeps on walking away.

Still really don't want to disable the walk away feature though! haha
take it to the dealer. Maybe it just need reprogrammed or maybe the remote batter is dying. Sometimes if the remote stays too close to the car its continually "talking" to the car so it can drain the remote battery

e85sbm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic EX-T
Country flag
A friend of mine had an issue with the battery in his Subaru WRX. The battery was always draining and had to be replaced multiple times.

He purchased an OBD adapter and downloaded a battery reading app. He discovered the alternator will not run unless you are on full coast, OR if the park/headlights are on. The alternator doesn't run any other time. Maybe there is something similar happening with the Civic.......too much effort for me to go to that extreme to find a solution or verify if the same thing happens.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
sorry, Im not laying out $170 plus tax for a new battery on a 1 year old car. Nope not at all. I'd make the dealer replace it under warranty without question and I have TWICE. Its the whole principle of the matter.

Honda Civic 10th gen Replaced battery under warranty for the 2nd time in 2yrs! upload_2018-4-11_13-27-50

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yeah it definitely depends on your situation but my service advisor and I are on a first name basis so things like this I give him a heads up, they take it back and get me out in 30 minutes. Yeah it sucks but you pay for your warranty and the tow service in the cost of the car so why not.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You are right.
My last car a Corolla 11 year old with more than 135,000 miles ( 220,000kms ) never cost me this amount ( $2 K ) in 11 years, oil changes include .It is $182 / year Canadian money
I never go on a dealer, I don't have many to throw out of a window, my small town mechanic do a best job.
I'll do same thing with my Honda , I should tell , with the two Honda in the family

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You are right.
My last car a Corolla 11 year old with more than 135,000 miles ( 220,000kms ) never cost me this amount ( $2 K ) in 11 years, oil changes include .It is $182 / year Canadian money
I never go on a dealer, I don't have many to throw out of a window, my small town mechanic do a best job.
I'll do same thing with my Honda , I should tell , with the two Honda in the family
so you guys just not going to use your dealer for anything huh, I mean its the only place to get warranty work done, and a battery was warranty......

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
so you guys just not going to use your dealer for anything huh, I mean its the only place to get warranty work done, and a battery was warranty......
Sure on warranty I'll go, never for maintenance .
Never need a warranty work on any of my cars , just recall from a air bag

OP
OP
kurokitsune

kurokitsune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So it happened again. Left my car in the driveway for not even a full week and when I went to take it out for a drive it was dead.
Really fed up with this so went ahead and paid $20 for a battery charger/maintainer.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So it happened again. Left my car in the driveway for not even a full week and when I went to take it out for a drive it was dead.
Really fed up with this so went ahead and paid $20 for a battery charger/maintainer.
That'd be unnecessary. You either have an issue with your present battery, or you have an electrical problem and there is a large parasitic drain occurring. If you pull a battery cable and put a ammeter in series, you can see what your discharge rate is... then, given what you AH rating of the battery is, you should be able to determine how long it should last. Most batteries ought to hold enough charge to crank with normal parasitic loads for a month or more.

Not trying to be down on you... I'd just fix the problem rather than using a bandaid.

If the parastic loads are minor, have a load test done on the battery. Put it on a charger until it says it's full and take it to an auto parts place. They'll do it for free then and there. If it's internal resistance is high, assuming it was in a charged state, it's voltage will rapidly drop out. Or you could buy one yourself. It's little more than a resistor bank with a meter movement, switch and cables. The low tech ones look like a cheese grater.

Last edited:

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Still on the original 2015 October battery. However I drive the car almost every day.

Maybe get a battery tender if letting the vehicle sit more than 4 days or so.
Sponsored