DocLL

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Type R
Country flag
I took my 2018 type R in for service at Penske Honda Ontario to get the oil and transmission fluid changed today. I have close to 38k miles on my car. They called me back as they do to get more stuff done and said my rear pads need to be replaced again. This seems very odd to me because this is the second time they have replaced them over the cars lifespan without ever replacing the front pads. I've been asking them for the past two oil changes at least to take a look at the front and they keep saying they are fine. This time they did say they are getting low but when I do have them replaced they also recommend changing the rotors instead of just resurfacing them? How could it be these magical rotors that have had the same pads on them for almost 38k miles need to be replaced?

All the miles are mine. Original owner. Mostly CA freeway driving. Am I just expecting too much?
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Sounds like theyre just trying to run you up.

OP
OP
DocLL

DocLL

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Type R
Country flag
Extra question. If I do decide to replace the rotors can I just upgrade to the 2020 rotors with no worries?

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Note, Trigger Warning! Some folks will not agree with the opinions below.

Rotors only need to be replaced when they reach minimum thickness. Rotors only need to be resurfaced when changing pad compound (when they can just be polished instead of cut) and only cut when they are not flat enough, i.e. runout is out of tolerance.

Your rear pads are wearing quicker because your VSA is using them to keep the car stable in corners. LEarn how to look at and see your pad thicknesses. Our cars are designed so that you can see this without removing the wheels. It will give you piece of mind and more knowledge about your car.

You will find many mechanics state you need to resurface your rotors with every pad change. Because that is what they are taught by the people who sell them the resurfacing machines. They will state that it is "safer" if they do. i.e. if the brakes are "perfectly" flat and "clean". And they are not theoretically wrong. But, imo, the whole reason for this is money. It lets the resurfacing companies sell more machines. the rotor companies sell more rotors, the mechanics sell more parts and labor.

But what's the practical safety increase? I have yet to see data. A well maintained brake system, using the same compound repeatedly and not turning the rotors will stop a car within inches of a "perfect" system. Well within any margin of error. And removing and resurfacing the rotors, or replacing the rotors add a measurable risk because mechanics are human and they do screw up. A rotor resurfacing or replacement can, in rare but common enough to know if happens, cases result in significant brake system failures. Much more significant than the inch or two you might gain with a "perfect" system.

So, next time a mechanic tells you it is safer to resurface your rotors, ask them what the statistics say the rate or error on brake jobs is. Personally, I've never had one answer that question or admit that they might screw up a brake job and cause a system failure.

Last edited:

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
you will know if your rotors are warped,steering wheel will shake when you apply the brakes.

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
50k on my 2019 and I pad slap mine yearly regardless with Akebono ceramics front & rear. Rears wear way quicker than fronts. My rotors are in good shape and still well within spec.

It’s not tracked except a few spirited runs at Watkins Glen.

Undecided what rotors I’m putting on it when it’s time. Very much an OEM Plus type guy.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
I don’t have a type r. But my sport touring hatchback needed replacement REAR pad/rotors at only like 31/32k miles. Pads still had very minimal life but they were fading.

fronts are ok for now. But since I am doing brakes, I ordered new front as well.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
FWIW my 43k mile 2018 has had its rear pads replaced once, and still running the original front pads. Fronts are not really in replacement range yet. I'll only replace rotors once they approach the minimum.

ATM

First Name
ATM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
did the old brake pads make an indentation on the rotors?

If so, then probably yes new rotors because the brake material is embedded in the rotors therefor when you change brand new brake pads with the same rotor youll get pulsation or squeaks when their cold or hot which is why they recommend changing rotors.

CMarks

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I have a 2018 ex hatch and my OEM pads and rotors lasted like 60-65k. I brake very gradually and dont come to a hard stop so that definitely helps i changed them because i noticed there was alot of wear and having to push my brake pedal down alot farther to stop plus there was squeaking that wasnt going away.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for another perspective on this...honestly never occurred to me that turning the rotors/ resurfacing them was not necessarily always the best idea. You make a lot of sense.

Irish-R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIvic Type R
Country flag
I took my 2018 type R in for service at Penske Honda Ontario to get the oil and transmission fluid changed today. I have close to 38k miles on my car. They called me back as they do to get more stuff done and said my rear pads need to be replaced again. This seems very odd to me because this is the second time they have replaced them over the cars lifespan without ever replacing the front pads. I've been asking them for the past two oil changes at least to take a look at the front and they keep saying they are fine. This time they did say they are getting low but when I do have them replaced they also recommend changing the rotors instead of just resurfacing them? How could it be these magical rotors that have had the same pads on them for almost 38k miles need to be replaced?

All the miles are mine. Original owner. Mostly CA freeway driving. Am I just expecting too much?
I had the same issue with my 2017 CTR. I believe it is because of the Vehicle Stability Assist system. It uses the rear brakes to maintain stability. I heard that the first generation police package chargers had the same issue and they would go through rear brakes like crazy. Ever since I wore out my first set of rear brakes in maybe 15k miles, I disable the Stability Assist every time I start the car. The problem has not returned.
Sponsored