replace air filter

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I posted this here because this forum gets more traffic than the maintenance forum. My car has 25k miles, so I looked at the air filter and it was real dirty. So I went to wallyworld and looked at the Fram replacement filter. Then I went to the honda dealer and the guy showed me the oem honda filter. The fram is $14.27 and the honda is $26.50. But the honda filter looked better.More pleats more densely packed(more surface area for filtration) and the filter element was dense, soft,and smooth, whereas the fram element was coarse, hard, and thin. So IMO this is clearly a case of getting what you pay for. Probably not a big deal,and maybe the fram would work fine but I opted for the oem honda filter.
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I switched back to OEM as well. In another thread; someone noted that the OEM was actually lightly oiled. I've seen them available on Amazon and College Hills Honda. Grab a cabin air filter while you're at it.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Scotty Kilmer says he is very cheap, but he recommends OEM air cleaners. He will use Walmart oil, but not Walmart air filter.
In this case the point is that they are not expensive. The Honda filter can be bought for about $14-16, which is the same price or cheaper than what you can find in a store for a third party product.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
I have multiple allergies, therefore, my Civic gets new OEM intake and cabin filters every 10k. The air quality here in Central Pennsylvania, and the pollen levels really suck, and I'm always amazed at how dirty they both are at 10k. Typically I pay about $30 for the set at my dealer. I've checked at my local AutoZone, Advance, and NAPA, very seldom have I found either of the filters in stock (they can order, but that's another trip) and they cost significantly more than I pay for OEM. I do use Mobil1 Extended Performance 0W-20 oil and Mobil1 M110a filters, as I've had good success with both for many years. The Honda (Honeywell) oil filter is, IMHO, a mediocre, but probably adequate filter, just think the Mobil1 is better.

b4gel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si sedan
Country flag
I have multiple allergies, therefore, my Civic gets new OEM intake and cabin filters every 10k. The air quality here in Central Pennsylvania, and the pollen levels really suck, and I'm always amazed at how dirty they both are at 10k. Typically I pay about $30 for the set at my dealer. I've checked at my local AutoZone, Advance, and NAPA, very seldom have I found either of the filters in stock (they can order, but that's another trip) and they cost significantly more than I pay for OEM. I do use Mobil1 Extended Performance 0W-20 oil and Mobil1 M110a filters, as I've had good success with both for many years. The Honda (Honeywell) oil filter is, IMHO, a mediocre, but probably adequate filter, just think the Mobil1 is better.
How does the intake filter affect your allergies? I understand the reasoning behind the cabin filter.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
How does the intake filter affect your allergies? I understand the reasoning behind the cabin filter.
It doesn't and lord help us all if he was implying that it does lol

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
It doesn't and lord help us all if he was implying that it does lol
No, it doesn't, I just replace them at the same time for convenience, a small sticker on the intake box reminds me that I did them both. That being a given, they're both visibly dirty at 10k, the cabin filter has bugs, bits of leaves and other debris as well. New cabin filter let's me breathe easier, figure the engine ingests much more particulate matter than the cabin filter, so, I change them both.

Last edited:

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
k and n dropin filters.
very close in filtering ability and much nicer turbo sounds. supposed to have better throughput, but from experience, its not really noticable.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I posted this here because this forum gets more traffic than the maintenance forum. My car has 25k miles, so I looked at the air filter and it was real dirty. So I went to wallyworld and looked at the Fram replacement filter. Then I went to the honda dealer and the guy showed me the oem honda filter. The fram is $14.27 and the honda is $26.50. But the honda filter looked better.More pleats more densely packed(more surface area for filtration) and the filter element was dense, soft,and smooth, whereas the fram element was coarse, hard, and thin. So IMO this is clearly a case of getting what you pay for. Probably not a big deal,and maybe the fram would work fine but I opted for the oem honda filter.
Yes you should always use the oem Honda air filter. They are way better quality then any cheap filter you get at a parts store. I order mine from hondapartsnow.com. I made the mistake of getting a filter from oreillys the first time I changed it. I noticed my car felt sluggish after a week. I popped the hood and checked the filter and all the pleats had swollen shut! My engine couldn’t breath! So I ordered the oem Honda filter and put it in and problem solved. Runs like a champ now.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Yes you should always use the oem Honda air filter. They are way better quality then any cheap filter you get at a parts store. I order mine from hondapartsnow.com. I made the mistake of getting a filter from oreillys the first time I changed it. I noticed my car felt sluggish after a week. I popped the hood and checked the filter and all the pleats had swollen shut! My engine couldn’t breath! So I ordered the oem Honda filter and put it in and problem solved. Runs like a champ now.
after reading your post last night, i decided to order from hondapartnow.com and then just now I found out they shipped my order from a city which is 20 mins drive from my house..

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
after reading your post last night, i decided to order from hondapartnow.com and then just now I found out they shipped my order from a city which is 20 mins drive from my house..
Lol well at least you should receive it quick. I wonder if you could just drive there next time?

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
You're right. OEM filter comes nicely wrapped in plastic wrap, all oiled up, better filter pleat construction and plastic siding. Blows the flimsy Fram product in its flimsy cardboard box out of the water.
Sponsored