Repair or Replace windshield? Need some advice..

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
that would be As Far As I Know.had about 4 windshields replaced within 6 years,on the last one my rates went up.i dont think aftermarket glass is as resistant to damage as factory original glass but that is tough to prove one way or another.possibly safelite could repair it instead of replacing? if not i would try to get factory glass.havent had this problem since 2015 when i bought my current car,and that glass has taken some hard hits ,pits and chips in 4 places.
That sucks. Sorry I’m not familiar with short acronyms lol so I feel dumb for asking what AFAIK lol. I’m gonna wait til I really need to replace my glass. I know I shouldn’t wait but if Safelite can repair it for $104 that would be great. But I’m not going to hold my tongue if the first place I went to couldn’t fix it.
Sponsored

Donkeyhotay123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch
Country flag
AFAIK, As Far As I Know.

I took mine to safelite, they determined it was easier to replace it than to fix it. So instead I took it to a dealer with a collision center.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Don't know if it's the same in all states, but in Pennsylvania, a windshield rock/pebble/debris divot of any kind is usually covered by your comprehensive insurance, IE: It wasn't your fault, so no insurance penalty. I'd at least ask your agent.

Gizmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
So I’m trying to get my small rock chip I got in my windshield repaired. I don’t see a need of replacing the whole front windshield for something minor but I would rather have it fixed and just leave it alone. When I first got the car, it already came with the rock chip. I called Progressive but they didn’t really seem like they gave me a definite answer as to whether your insurance will go up on your next policy cycle for filing a claim.

I’m trying to avoid filing a claim if not necessary to not have my rate go up but I understand there are other factors involved besides the claim itself.

So in theory, should I just call around different places and see how much it would cost to repair the rock chip out of pocket? Should I go to the dealership and see what they recommend? Of course nobody doesn’t wanna “inspect“ anything without being a fee charged. But I am trying to avoid my insurance to go up when it’s just one small rock chip. My windshield doesn’t even have the Honda sensing so I’m not sure how much it would be to pay for it to be fixed.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
I just got my windshield replaced back in June on my 2020 Hatchback. I had a chip from a rock that happened back in January. I had Safelite use whatever they use to stop it from spreading, which worked for the most part. Then, in June, I was driving and heard a pop and didn't know where it came from. It turned out to be a crack that started to spread from the chip. I'm guessing it was the heat that caused it (it was over 100 degrees that day).

I called Safelite to see if there was any warranty or anything that can be done since they had worked on it already. I had forgotten that they mentioned (during the chip fix in January) that if the chip spreads, they would put whatever they had charged me towards the windshield replacement or refund it back, IF I get the windshield replaced by them. So that's what I did. I made sure they replaced it with a Honda windshield (which it was) and they also recalibrated the Honda Sensing stuff. I had to pay $500 (insurance deductible) for it. I was also refunded the amount that I paid in January for the chip "fix".

I'm not sure how big the chip is on your windshield, but mine was a quarter-size hit.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
That sucks. Sorry I’m not familiar with short acronyms lol so I feel dumb for asking what AFAIK lol. I’m gonna wait til I really need to replace my glass. I know I shouldn’t wait but if Safelite can repair it for $104 that would be great. But I’m not going to hold my tongue if the first place I went to couldn’t fix it.
Yeah it’s not repairable anymore since they put resin in it already.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I’m trying to get my small rock chip I got in my windshield repaired. I don’t see a need of replacing the whole front windshield for something minor but I would rather have it fixed and just leave it alone. When I first got the car, it already came with the rock chip. I called Progressive but they didn’t really seem like they gave me a definite answer as to whether your insurance will go up on your next policy cycle for filing a claim.

I’m trying to avoid filing a claim if not necessary to not have my rate go up but I understand there are other factors involved besides the claim itself.

So in theory, should I just call around different places and see how much it would cost to repair the rock chip out of pocket? Should I go to the dealership and see what they recommend? Of course nobody doesn’t wanna “inspect“ anything without being a fee charged. But I am trying to avoid my insurance to go up when it’s just one small rock chip. My windshield doesn’t even have the Honda sensing so I’m not sure how much it would be to pay for it to be fixed.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
I believe (unless laws have changed) that a damaged windshield is to be repaired/replaced at no charge AND no increase in insurance premiums, in Florida. That's the way it has been, for as long as I can remember.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think they fked up and gave you the discount.
Right! That’s what I was thinking. I think I’m gonna go somewhere else and hold my breath and hope it won’t cost me an arm and a leg lol my deductible with my insurance is $1k so yeah lol. I contacted corporate about that place and how run down it looks. Who’s ever in charge should be fixing that dump up anyways!

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe (unless laws have changed) that a damaged windshield is to be repaired/replaced at no charge AND no increase in insurance premiums, in Florida. That's the way it has been, for as long as I can remember.
Right. I called my insurance company and they told me they can’t tell me whether or not my insurance premium will go up if I file a claim to get my windshield replaced. Which is ridiculous. But I shouldn’t have to pay my $1k deductible to get my windshield replaced. I need to get it replaced soon so I can get the front windshield tinted. That’s why I’m trying to get it replaced.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just scheduled an appointment with Safelite and it’s showing $0.00 deductible but when I went to go submit my appointment it says I owe $1,000 for my deductible. What the hell?! I thought it was supposed to be free?? But I could be wrong. It still shows $0.00 deductible but I was confused as to why it requires me to pay my $1k deductible.

Last edited:

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just scheduled an appointment with Safelite and it’s showing $0.00 deductible but when I went to go submit my appointment it says I owe $1,000 for my deductible. What the hell?! I thought it was supposed to be free?? But I could be wrong. It still shows $0.00 deductible but I was confused as to why it requires me to pay my $1k deductible.
I'm not sure who your insurance is provided by, but if you read the link (below), it should help you understand how it is supposed to work, in Florida.

https://fgbolaw.com/florida-free-wi...t in Florida is,repaired or replaced for free!

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Progressive and I called Safelite for verification because I almost had a mini heart attack lol but they reassured me that my insurance is paying the bill. It was $411 total. So not to terribly bad.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
***UPDATE***
Windshield is now replaced. Now just gonna wait til’ later today to take it to the place to have the guy tint my windshield. Told him had to wait at least 24 hrs. The guy who did my windshield was nice. I gave him a cold
Dr. Pepper since there wasn’t any shade where I park my car under. He told me to wait until about noon or so before getting it tinted. So long story short, anytime you try and get your windshield repaired, it’s always 50/50. I should’ve saved myself the hassle and just got it replaced the first time around ??‍♀??

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I checked with Safelite and since it’s only one chip in the glass, they quoted me $119 but I got a $15 off promo so it dropped it down to $104. ? I’ve used Safelite on my last vehicle I had and they ended up replacing the whole windshield because there was a hairline crack across the side of the windshield on the passenger side.
It costs like 50 bucks for a place to fix it you’re getting ripped off going this route

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
I don’t know if this is true but people on here said OEM windshield can reduce noise.
Sponsored