Repair or Replace windshield? Need some advice..

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I’m trying to get my small rock chip I got in my windshield repaired. I don’t see a need of replacing the whole front windshield for something minor but I would rather have it fixed and just leave it alone. When I first got the car, it already came with the rock chip. I called Progressive but they didn’t really seem like they gave me a definite answer as to whether your insurance will go up on your next policy cycle for filing a claim.

I’m trying to avoid filing a claim if not necessary to not have my rate go up but I understand there are other factors involved besides the claim itself.

So in theory, should I just call around different places and see how much it would cost to repair the rock chip out of pocket? Should I go to the dealership and see what they recommend? Of course nobody doesn’t wanna “inspect“ anything without being a fee charged. But I am trying to avoid my insurance to go up when it’s just one small rock chip. My windshield doesn’t even have the Honda sensing so I’m not sure how much it would be to pay for it to be fixed.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
If it’s just a chip, it can still be repaired. Even small cracks can still be repaired as well.

Derek.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport HB 6MT, 1996 Accord EX 4dr 5MT
Country flag
I would recommend going to the shops to have them assess what is needed/recommended to fix the chip. They probably wont be able to do so without seeing it. Dont bother with bringing it to the dealership, they would be outsourcing the repair anyways.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I checked with Safelite and since it’s only one chip in the glass, they quoted me $119 but I got a $15 off promo so it dropped it down to $104. ? I’ve used Safelite on my last vehicle I had and they ended up replacing the whole windshield because there was a hairline crack across the side of the windshield on the passenger side.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Try to check other shops near your area and get a comparison of the quote.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got this quote but not sure what type of glass they will use.

Honda Civic 10th gen Repair or Replace windshield? Need some advice.. F3C852E5-C6FE-4F7F-A96E-A3A6E2BF188D

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just got a call from a local auto glass shop. Called AutoGlassNow For just the rock chip repair if I can cover it with a quarter, it’ll cost me $49.95 + tax. but he also did a quote for a brand new windshield, told him I don’t have that fancy rear view mirror but I have Bluetooth in my car, he quoted me $218.28. What does Bluetooth have anything to do with my front windshield?

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Why not just fix the chip yourself? It’s pretty simple, just make sure you keep the vacuum going until there’s no more bubbles.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks all for the tips and advice. I have found a place that can repair it for $50 As much as I can do this myself, my confidence level isn’t that great! lol ? but seriously I could do it myself if I knew if it would work And not mess up. But I am going to have someone else repair it for me.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
UPDATE:
so after going to this place in Jax, FL I should have saved myself a trip and not gone there. I thought the rock chip could be repaired but to my surprise, the technician said it was un-repairable ? he said the chip was more than he thought and when he tried to put the resin in the crack, it wouldn’t set properly. So now I’m left with a sphere looking spot in my windshield ? they didn’t charge me the fee but instead gave me a discounted rate of $175 for a full windshield replacement. The place itself looks really sketchy. There’s insulation hanging from the ceiling in the waiting area, the floors look dirty and not cleaned. I sneezed twice while I was sitting and waiting. I got out of my car and was immediately starred down by a bunch of guys. luckily I was carrying but still... not sure how this place has good reviews to begin with, especially with the way the building looks on the inside. Looks to be like an old tire shop or some sort. I contacted the customer service and complained about the appearance of the inside of the waiting area. They could do a little better of a job.

I might as well just go ahead and file a claim through my insurance and go somewhere else and have it done. I was trying to avoid having that done but it’s probably my only option. Other than doing it myself.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
AFAIK in florida you can get your windshield replaced for free as long as you have insurance.havent had to do it for about 4 years but when i had my del sol it was a pebble magnet.got a nice chip right in front of my face on 275 N,and about a mile later as i got on I-4 i went over an expansion joint and it cracked right across...but it was replaced for free.safelite will come right to your house too.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
AFAIK in florida you can get your windshield replaced for free as long as you have insurance.havent had to do it for about 4 years but when i had my del sol it was a pebble magnet.got a nice chip right in front of my face on 275 N,and about a mile later as i got on I-4 i went over an expansion joint and it cracked right across...but it was replaced for free.safelite will come right to your house too.
What is AFAIK stand for? I had already replaced my windshield in my previous SUV last year but through my insurance. I was unsure whether or not if I file another claim if it’ll hinder my rate or not for the renewal. I’m trying to avoid getting my rate to go up. I know it’s free through insurance and yes, Safelite can come to my house but it’s $20 fee for travel distance. I’m thinking of just biting the bullet and getting it done through my insurance company since I have full coverage. I’m tired of looking at the spot on my windshield and I wanna get my windshield tinted before I move.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
that would be As Far As I Know.had about 4 windshields replaced within 6 years,on the last one my rates went up.i dont think aftermarket glass is as resistant to damage as factory original glass but that is tough to prove one way or another.possibly safelite could repair it instead of replacing? if not i would try to get factory glass.havent had this problem since 2015 when i bought my current car,and that glass has taken some hard hits ,pits and chips in 4 places.
Sponsored