xkabhoang

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
Hi guys, I just painted my front lip for my car and the color doesn’t match. I plan on buying the OEM color and start over on this rattle can paint job. I have painted several lips before starting from Polyurethane but have never started from a painted lip. How should I remove the old paint on the lip? Just sand paper? What grits should I use to remove the old paint and scuff the surface? All the threads I found online are starting from polyurethane...

Any advice?
Sponsored

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Hi guys, I just painted my front lip for my car and the color doesn’t match. I plan on buying the OEM color and start over on this rattle can paint job. I have painted several lips before starting from Polyurethane but have never started from a painted lip. How should I remove the old paint on the lip? Just sand paper? What grits should I use to remove the old paint and scuff the surface? All the threads I found online are starting from polyurethane...

Any advice?
500 grit or anything near should do the job. Make sure to use a primer so the paint adheres to the plastic better

OP
OP

xkabhoang

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
500 grit or anything near should do the job. Make sure to use a primer so the paint adheres to the plastic better
So just 500 should be good?

500 grit
Primer
Sand primer
Base coat
Clear coat?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So just 500 should be good?

500 grit
Primer
Sand primer
Base coat
Clear coat?
Yeah.
1) 500grit sand down
2) Wipe with a rag and rubbing alcohol. If you have a tack cloth wipe it down with that too, although it’s not really needed.
3) 2-3 coats primer with 10/15min dry time (wait longer if it’s colder, but primer dries relatively fast). Wait 30-45min, if it’s cold wait longer, before going to the next step.
4) make absolute sure it’s dry before sanding or you’ll have to restart. Sand the primer if it’s a sandable primer, I’d go with like a 800ish grit
5) wipe with a rag and rubbing alcohol. Use tack cloth if you have one.
6) 3-4 base coats (1st coat being a super light coat, and each addition coat make longer passes and lay down more paint) wait 15-20min between coats.. 30 min on the final coat before going to next step, wait longer if it’s colder weather
7) 2-3 clear coats (clear coat is a thinner paint so don’t over do the paint because you’ll easily get runs or foggy clear coats) wait 20-25min between coats

I’d wait 2-4 hrs before touching it and preferably 24-48 hours before handling it and installing, but you can install another 2-4 hours but be careful and the paint hasn’t harden and can easily be scrapped or damaged or if your press hard enough finger print marks can show in the clear coat. If you get orange people in the clear coat wait a week. Use a 3,000 grit or a cutting compound if you have a DA polisher and wet sand the clear coat until the orange peel is gone. Polish and wax to return the shine.

OP
OP

xkabhoang

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
Yeah.
1) 500grit sand down
2) Wipe with a rag and rubbing alcohol. If you have a tack cloth wipe it down with that too, although it’s not really needed.
3) 2-3 coats primer with 10/15min dry time (wait longer if it’s colder, but primer dries relatively fast). Wait 30-45min, if it’s cold wait longer, before going to the next step.
4) make absolute sure it’s dry before sanding or you’ll have to restart. Sand the primer if it’s a sandable primer, I’d go with like a 800ish grit
6) 3-4 base coats (1st coat being a super light coat, and each addition coat make longer passes and lay down more paint) wait 15-20min between coats.. 30 min on the final coat before going to next step, wait longer if it’s colder weather
7) 2-3 clear coats (clear coat is a thinner paint so don’t over do the paint because you’ll easily get runs or foggy clear coats) wait 20-25min between coats

I’d wait 2-4 hrs before touching it and preferably 24-48 hours before handling it and installing, but you can install another 2-4 hours but be careful and the paint hasn’t harden and can easily be scrapped or damaged or if your press hard enough finger print marks can show in the clear coat. If you get orange people in the clear coat wait a week. Use a 3,000 grit or a cutting compound if you have a DA polisher and wet sand the clear coat until the orange peel is gone. Polish and wax to return the shine.
Thank you!!! ???? So i won’t need adhesion promoter since I’m just scuffing the old paint?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you!!! ???? So i won’t need adhesion promoter since I’m just scuffing the old paint?
You can for a better strength adherence, but it wouldn’t be needed since you are scuffing the old paint unless you are going to bare polyurethane then yes it will be required

OP
OP

xkabhoang

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
You can for a better strength adherence, but it wouldn’t be needed since you are scuffing the old paint unless you are going to bare polyurethane then yes it will be required
Alright, I’m going to give it a try. Should be a fun project to do

OP
OP

xkabhoang

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
I have another question, do I just sand the old paint on the lip until it gets rough then apply the primer on top?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have another question, do I just sand the old paint on the lip until it gets rough then apply the primer on top?
Did you prime it before? If so sand down to that. If not just sand down till it’s all smooth and the paint is semi faded. It should not be rough or scuffed up and the end of the sanding it should all be uniform and smooth

OP
OP

xkabhoang

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
Did you prime it before? If so sand down to that. If not just sand down till it’s all smooth and the paint is semi faded. It should not be rough or scuffed up and the end of the sanding it should all be uniform and smooth
Yeah before I scuffed the Poly, adhesion promoter, sandable primer, sanded it down, base coat, clear coat. That was about a month ago.

So, if I want to repaint this, I just need to sand it until everything’s is smooth, and apply base then clear? No need for primer again?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah before I scuffed the Poly, adhesion promoter, sandable primer, sanded it down, base coat, clear coat. That was about a month ago.

So, if I want to repaint this, I just need to sand it until everything’s is smooth, and apply base then clear? No need for primer again?
No no, sand down to to the primer or until you start seeing it peak out Is fine also then follow my steps

OP
OP

xkabhoang

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
No no, sand down to to the primer or until you start seeing it peak out Is fine also then follow my steps
Is there a way I can tell it’s down to primer? When I painted it my primer was white, and my current coat on it is white LOL

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is there a way I can tell it’s down to primer? When I painted it my primer was white, and my current coat on it is white LOL
Lol, just sand it down till the paint is a faded color or until you see the polyurethane whichever you prefer as long as it’s smooth that’s what matters

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah.
1) 500grit sand down

What are your thoughts on using a flex additive?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What are your thoughts on using a flex additive?
Personally never used it, but on a lip wouldn’t do much, I feel like, because you’ll see scraping more than bends and flexing. Might be good on a bumper, but again never used it so can’t give a you an opinion on it
Sponsored