Removing Type R OEM Exhaust

vleal12

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW Honda Civic Type R
Hey.. so I just bought the AWE Touring Exhaust and plan on installing it myself. I’ve never installed or removed any exhaust in my life. Can anyone tell me how to remove the OEM exhaust and/or if anyone has had their AWE exhaust installed by themselves... is it really that difficult for a newbie?
Sponsored

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Just 4 rubber pieces and 3 nuts. You do have to remove the rear (idk what to call them) looks like carpet with a few plastic clips to get to rubber supports. Use wd40 on the supports and they slide off easier.

Conika

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I used This video for my civic Si. Make sure you have the tools like a torque wrench, metric socket set, wrench set, lithium grease, flat head and Phillips head screw drivers, Some jacks and jack stands. If you have those things and time it’s really not hard.

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last: 19 ABM FK8 - Now: 21 SGP FK8
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Safety is the key here. You'll need enough room to maneuver the full length of the car. If you can't do that in a safe way, you should consider asking for help. Otherwise, it's fairly simple as a DIY project, given the right tools.

OP
OP
vleal12

vleal12

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To remove the stock exhaust is pretty simple, so long as you can get under the car easily. I had a lift to do mine and it's as simple as unbolting it from the front pipe, and then lubing rubber grommets and popping them off the arms holding the stock one in place. Then since you went AWE, you'll unbolt the front pipe from the downpipe and it comes out pretty easily.

To install the AWE, you will want to remove the under heat shielding, as the frontpipe is the worst of the install, but in the AWE exhaust thread, they have a video on how to install the front pipe. Then just like the uninstall, you'll move the grommets over to their matching position on the AWE, and do it piece by piece since they're slide over connections, and then slot the grommets back into the holders.

For me, with a full lift, it took about 2 hours total by myself. And I've replaced multiple exhaust systems. For someone new and taking their time, I'd expect 3 hours with proper tools like a lift, maybe 4 if you don't have one.
Thanks this helps a lot!

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Jacking the car up in a safe way is #1 priority. The actual install is not difficult.

And since your car is probably relatively new, bolts won’t be rusted to crap. You don’t need the exhaust hanger removal tool. Use wd40 or pb blaster. Even glass cleaner works as a lubricant for the rubber hanger at least. Just soak it a little. The 3 bolt/nut you definitely need wd40. That is honestly the only hard part, removing those 3 bolts. You need enough leverage to get it loose. The rest is just putting it all back and aligning things probably. If you speed thru this it can be done in under an hour. But if you take your time, this easily can take 2 or 3 hours.

OP
OP
vleal12

vleal12

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll drop it in here!

Having enough space is your friend. You can do this from either direction, you'll need less room from the rear but it's a bit trickier and this is how we do it here all week long.

Hey Dave... do you work for AWE? I didn’t order directly from AWE but am still waiting on mine and I noticed that AWE gives out a nice package with a mug and some stickers... would I qualify for this? Thanks

OP
OP
vleal12

vleal12

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jacking the car up in a safe way is #1 priority. The actual install is not difficult.

And since your car is probably relatively new, bolts won’t be rusted to crap. You don’t need the exhaust hanger removal tool. Use wd40 or pb blaster. Even glass cleaner works as a lubricant for the rubber hanger at least. Just soak it a little. The 3 bolt/nut you definitely need wd40. That is honestly the only hard part, removing those 3 bolts. You need enough leverage to get it loose. The rest is just putting it all back and aligning things probably. If you speed thru this it can be done in under an hour. But if you take your time, this easily can take 2 or 3 hours.

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
AWE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Hey Dave... do you work for AWE? I didn’t order directly from AWE but am still waiting on mine and I noticed that AWE gives out a nice package with a mug and some stickers... would I qualify for this? Thanks
Yes, I do work for AWE. We sell that nice package (Gear Box) on the site and also use it to award the winners of different contests, etc. Sitckers and a blowpop are the standard swag with a new system! What's your ETA for your system?

OP
OP
vleal12

vleal12

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I do work for AWE. We sell that nice package (Gear Box) on the site and also use it to award the winners of different contests, etc. Sitckers and a blowpop are the standard swag with a new system! What's your ETA for your system?
I was told November / December by JSPEC Performance in Toronto.
Sponsored