Removing shifter cable bushing upgrade

NUshek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT
Country flag
When I did it I couldn’t budge those C clips so just skipped that part.
I wondered if it was possible to install these bushings without removing the C clips (I saw one video where they did it without removing the clips). Good to know, thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2010 G37S
Country flag
I wondered if it was possible to install these bushings without removing the C clips (I saw one video where they did it without removing the clips). Good to know, thanks!
It is possible, you just don't have a lot of maneuverability of the cable ends, so it's a little tighter fit to get your hands in. I ended up pushing them in with an adjustable angle head pipe-wrench pliers.

sdj544

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
It is possible, you just don't have a lot of maneuverability of the cable ends, so it's a little tighter fit to get your hands in. I ended up pushing them in with an adjustable angle head pipe-wrench pliers.
I found the larger/far one was easy to do without removing the c-clip.
The smaller/closer one I tried to do the same but couldn’t get it back on with the new bushings. Fortunately it wasn’t that hard to remove just that one.
-S

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
It is sometimes possible but not advisable. The small bushing does not like to go on at an angle and can get gouged doing so. Additionally, not disconnecting the cables from the bracket makes it easier to over-extend the swivel joint in the cable near the bracket which can cause permanent damage to the cable (if you cause the damage to the cable, you will notice that all even gears feel "mushy"). While damaging cables is rare, it is possible, and not removing those clips makes your odds worse.

~russ

bmaf55

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
Did you guys remove the battery or anything for that matter to get at these bushings?? It looks real tight in there.

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, Acuity has remove the battery in the install instructions.
If you don't want to do that, follow Boomba's instructions for their trans adapters.

You'll be removing more things however. I preferred Acuity's way of doing it for both products.

bmaf55

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
Yes, Acuity has remove the battery in the install instructions.
If you don't want to do that, follow Boomba's instructions for their trans adapters.

You'll be removing more things however. I preferred Acuity's way of doing it for both products.
Thanks. I think I’d rather just remove the battery.

Jimmyjambo_fk8

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
When I did it I couldn’t budge those C clips so just skipped that part.
I just installed mine over the weekend. I would agree 100% about the C-clips, such a pain to remove. I also improvised getting them back into place.

Crakzor

First Name
Mathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Cruze, 2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just installed mine over the weekend. I would agree 100% about the C-clips, such a pain to remove. I also improvised getting them back into place.
how does it feel? was it worth it

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
yes, but not a major difference when you compare it with stock. If you have acuity parts on the shifter then you will feel more difference. Don't expect much with just the bushings

Jimmyjambo_fk8

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
It feels fantastic. The car feels so different, very precise, and smoother. It's hard to believe the difference. I would recommend this to anyone with a manual Honda. I think the combo of bushings & shifter is my favorite mod.

Crakzor

First Name
Mathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Cruze, 2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It feels fantastic. The car feels so different, very precise, and smoother. It's hard to believe the difference. I would recommend this to anyone with a manual Honda. I think the combo of bushings & shifter is my favorite mod.

is it much different with stock shifter?

ATM

First Name
ATM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
what is the best tool to use or plan of attack getting those C- clips removed? It seems like they are really snugged on there.

Honda Civic 10th gen Removing shifter cable bushing upgrade 1603974386696
Sponsored