Removing Intake Resonator Box

ethanmhanks

Project Blackout
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Ram 1500, 1975 Corvette.
Vehicle Showcase
Finally pulled that batch out my car!

Jus got back from a fun half hour of making noise and adjusting to the slight bit of newly available power. I'm still going back in to make the intake hole a little bigger.

That resonator was no joke! I ended up jus sawing pieces of it off until I finally could pull it up and out of the engine bay. I had no luck getting it out from underneath.

Anyway, I'm super happy I finally got it done, even with a cast on my leg. Love the purring.
Glad you like it! I got my Injen short ram intake on and since the resonator was removed already it made the install super easy. The turbo is WAY louder with the intake, and a great BOV type sound as well. Great investment.
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx

White Touring

NA Touring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 HONDA CIVIC TOURING 1.5L TURBO
Vehicle Showcase
So i just finished taking mine off and it was crazy trying to pull that large intake resonator out of that engine bay! After getting cut by the sheet metal underneath the car and bleeding all over the floor, I finally managed to force it out trough the bottom of the car!
I can definitely hear a slight difference in sound but nothing too noticeable, overall I would just get the Short Ram Intake (Ordereing mine after after this mod) to really bring out the sounds instead of killing yourself trying to get that stock intake resonator out! Nonetheless, it was a good but rewarding learning experience that cost absolutely nothing.

Reactions: Myx

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
There are plenty of people that say removing the resonator can decrease power. Is it worth less power and possibly getting your finger sliced off for a bit more sound? More sound can be fun in a V8 or large V6 sports car but I wouldn't want to hear my 1.5L Civic more.

sunnysunday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ex-t 2016
Country flag
Personally, since removing the resonator, I feel a gain. It's hard to describe since I've only become interested in cars since purchasing my civic. And it just feel a bit more fun to drive.

4 times a week I take her up to 90 on the freeway and I fly by folks with little effort

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Actually I meant to say low end power. So you might feel more power on the highway, but people are usually more interested in low end torque.

sunnysunday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ex-t 2016
Country flag
Actually the low end is where I feel it the most. Which is why I take her around town everyday so I can get out of the house. I've had a broken ankle for 4 months now.

I really want to get a intake (short ram) however my research says that it would bring some loss of power on the low end.

So who really knows

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I installed the short ram intake on mine. It improved response and power low and high. Turbo spools up much quicker when I stomp on the gas. And now that I opened up my exhaust, turbo engages almost immediately now :)

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Actually the low end is where I feel it the most. Which is why I take her around town everyday so I can get out of the house. I've had a broken ankle for 4 months now.

I really want to get a intake (short ram) however my research says that it would bring some loss of power on the low end.

So who really knows
Possibly placebo effect. Even if it did increase low end (contrary to what many say), it would just be a few HP and most people agree you can't feel so lower power increases.

My cars always felt faster after I washed them.

ALOHAbyCHOICE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic ext
Country flag
Finally pulled that batch out my car!

Jus got back from a fun half hour of making noise and adjusting to the slight bit of newly available power. I'm still going back in to make the intake hole a little bigger.

That resonator was no joke! I ended up jus sawing pieces of it off until I finally could pull it up and out of the engine bay. I had no luck getting it out from underneath.

Anyway, I'm super happy I finally got it done, even with a cast on my leg. Love the purring.
What part did you have to saw off. I tried taking it off from the engine bay and was unsuccessful

sunnysunday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ex-t 2016
Country flag
What part did you have to saw off. I tried taking it off from the engine bay and was unsuccessful
The resonator is the part I sawed into a few pieces. I jacked the car up and removed the skid plate underneath then pulled the resonator out as far as I could then started sawing. I jus used a small hand saw. Wasn't very difficult at all.

Haha however, I did wrestle with that resonator for quite a long time before I decided to chop it up. Should you ever want to put it back for some reason; if I remember correctly, you can replace it for like 50-65$

ALOHAbyCHOICE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic ext
Country flag
The resonator is the part I sawed into a few pieces. I jacked the car up and removed the skid plate underneath then pulled the resonator out as far as I could then started sawing. I jus used a small hand saw. Wasn't very difficult at all.

Haha however, I did wrestle with that resonator for quite a long time before I decided to chop it up. Should you ever want to put it back for some reason; if I remember correctly, you can replace it for like 50-65$
Was it a messy process.

sunnysunday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ex-t 2016
Country flag
Was it a messy process.
Not very. If you go in planning to saw the thing out, should be a breeze.

However if you're going to try and wiggle the thing out prepare for an incredibly frustrating time. Haha as a matter of fact I was so blinded with rage that it was my mom whom actually suggested I chop it up.

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
So, out of everyone here that has tried this, none is willing to post a video of how the car sounds? I'm interested in taking my resonator out if the sound difference in turbo spool is hearable. I actually don't mine lower low end power because I baby the thing in low RPM but really rev it in higher RPMs.

qexler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 tacoma
Just to educate... that "pin hole" you say the intake draws air from is actually a weep hole for water that enters the ram air section of the intake at highway speeds... which then drips out of that weep hole into the resonator assembly and is guided to a draining location so it doesn't splatter in puddle on your lower aluminum skid plate. If you stick your finger inside that tube on the bottom of your box you'll find it actually channels up the rear of the box to the ram air section. And it's not a pin hole it's drawing the air from... actually much larger.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But you will also have a couple bolts holding the resonator in place. I forgot that part.
@ethanmhanks
@Jay.DeVries
@sunnysunday

I was in the process of starting to make my own intake today (Myxal SRI-CAI, version one). I stopped right at this point. I had the intake box ready to come out but felt it connected to the resonator. I didn't just want to yank it out. Want to do this properly. Where are these bolts that are holding the intake box to the resonator? I did not get to the point where I opened up the air box, in case the bolts are inside of the airbox itself. Had to take care of some business so I put everything back together. I have the next three days to work on this and get it together.

Any help with info on this is appreciated as I plan on testing my 'Myxal SRI-CAI' this Friday at a local track vs my stock box.
Sponsored

Last edited: