Removing Intake Resonator Box

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
once the resonator box removed, how to hold the intake box so it doesnt fall?
Bolt the intake box back up here.

Honda Civic 10th gen Removing Intake Resonator Box 8e523e33-b9c6-4ace-b280-338fdbbe2a92_zpsqkrebkmp-
Sponsored

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Yeah, I got access to the resonator itself a few minutes ago. I realize you can simply pull the whole stock intake housing off of the resonator. From what I can see looking down to the resonator, there appears to be one screw/bolt holding it in place. I posted a pic of it below. It appears you can unscrew it from the bottom up. Feeling around it, there appears to be an opening to the right side of it. Picture it like letter 'C', with the opening being on the right side there. It almost seems like you can wiggle it to the left and it'll slide right out.

Stock Inlet - 9.jpg
I messed around with the resonator box for 35 minutes before removing the hose for the intercooler so I could get that damn thing out. It was such a PITA!

Reactions: Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I messed around with the resonator box for 35 minutes before removing the hose for the intercooler so I could get that damn thing out. It was such a PITA!
You are probably the 2nd person I read that had to remove the intercooler hose (Intercooler to throttle body hose) in order to remove the resonator.

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
You are probably the 2nd person I read that had to remove the intercooler hose (Intercooler to throttle body hose) in order to remove the resonator.
Yea it was b**ch. I tried all different angles first before removing the hose. Removed the hose and it came right out. Took me and hour and a half to two hours to install my CAI because of that stupid box :confused:

RAC80

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
i know this topic has been beaten to death but not seeing the answer im looking for........
The air intake resonator is there for more than just sound, i get what a Helmholtz resonator is and how that works. it makes sense that it would help power and efficiency on a NA engine........ but i dont see how on a turbo engine? the path from valve to resonator has god knows how much volume, turns, intercooler, turbo etc. the pressure differential across the turbo alone should be enough to make the resonator obsolete.
anyone got any knowledge on this? just interested more than anything! i took mine out, slight sound change when ideal or very low load. i can only assume that's why Honda put one in there... sound and maybe some low load fuel efficiency. Once that turbo has a few PSI built up flow in and out of the resonator box is at irrelevant pressures, well, pressure wave probably never gets there!
other possibility is its all about creating more laminar flow for the MAF sensor, looking at the shape of the box etc, i dont see how.

Live in Alabama so too hot for a short intake and too much heavy rain for a CAI (probably never happen i know but....)

i'm considering hooking up to the bottom of the air box where the resonator connected with a hose, then going to the front next to fog lamp. i saw an old post where someone had removed a few of the shapes, like on the passenger side. could add a little cold air....

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Live in Alabama so too hot for a short intake and too much heavy rain for a CAI (probably never happen i know but....)
Look into the 27won intake.

RAC80

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Look into the 27won intake.
Yeah, my favorite. Im thinking a drop down from the main stock air box to the footwell is near as good. Put that with prl filter and hose and it should be good.
I mean.... wont look as bad ass as 27won but......

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i know this topic has been beaten to death but not seeing the answer im looking for........
The air intake resonator is there for more than just sound, i get what a Helmholtz resonator is and how that works. it makes sense that it would help power and efficiency on a NA engine........ but i dont see how on a turbo engine? the path from valve to resonator has god knows how much volume, turns, intercooler, turbo etc. the pressure differential across the turbo alone should be enough to make the resonator obsolete.
anyone got any knowledge on this? just interested more than anything! i took mine out, slight sound change when ideal or very low load. i can only assume that's why Honda put one in there... sound and maybe some low load fuel efficiency. Once that turbo has a few PSI built up flow in and out of the resonator box is at irrelevant pressures, well, pressure wave probably never gets there!
other possibility is its all about creating more laminar flow for the MAF sensor, looking at the shape of the box etc, i dont see how.

i'm considering hooking up to the bottom of the air box where the resonator connected with a hose, then going to the front next to fog lamp. i saw an old post where someone had removed a few of the shapes, like on the passenger side. could add a little cold air....
I gather the resonator is simply to reduce intake noise on the Honda Civic 1.5t platform. Nothing else! I had links to a few SAE papers but they weren't Honda specific as I was looking for Honda's patent for the intake design specifically for the 1.5ltr turbo platform.

So..just to reduce intake noise. It's louder without it.

UnknownNate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Just took out my resonator with 3 of my friends, and holy shit it sucked. If anyone plans on doing this, know that you'll have to remove the metal skid plate, most likely the intercooler accordion pipe, and possibly some of the plastic that the metal skid plate attaches to.
Some tips I figured would be useful:
- the intake itself is in 2 parts; the top is the intake box and the bottom is the resonator
- there are 3 bolts total that need to be undone (2 on top (actual intake) 1 on bottom(resonator))
- don't remove the bottom bolt until you take the top section (the actual intake) off
^ don't be afraid to yank it upwards
- the 4 screws visible from the top of the intake box do not need to be removed
- the resonator will not go out the top (tried to remove the intercooler accordion piece and 2 wires, still couldn't)
- you may have to remove a clamp from the intercooler accordion pipe to make space for the resonator
Personally, to get the resonator out, I kinda just pushed it downwards until the plastic underneath my car bent out of the way. I was planning on getting a saw in there and just cutting the resonator into pieces since I plan on getting a CAI soon anyways, but a solid shove ended up working. Once everything was back on, the car really felt the same. Boost pressure was identical, the sound was a little louder and higher tones were definitely more present, but overall not a major difference.

If anyone has questions on how to do this just reply and I'll do my best to help out. Keep in mind this mod doesn't really do much, and depending on your luck/willingness to push hard on your parts, could take an hour. However, if you do plan on going for a CAI later, doing this now would make it much quicker.

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just took out my resonator with 3 of my friends, and holy shit it sucked. If anyone plans on doing this, know that you'll have to remove the metal skid plate, most likely the intercooler accordion pipe, and possibly some of the plastic that the metal skid plate attaches to.
Some tips I figured would be useful:
- the intake itself is in 2 parts; the top is the intake box and the bottom is the resonator
- there are 3 bolts total that need to be undone (2 on top (actual intake) 1 on bottom(resonator))
- don't remove the bottom bolt until you take the top section (the actual intake) off
^ don't be afraid to yank it upwards
- the 4 screws visible from the top of the intake box do not need to be removed
- the resonator will not go out the top (tried to remove the intercooler accordion piece and 2 wires, still couldn't)
- you may have to remove a clamp from the intercooler accordion pipe to make space for the resonator
Personally, to get the resonator out, I kinda just pushed it downwards until the plastic underneath my car bent out of the way. I was planning on getting a saw in there and just cutting the resonator into pieces since I plan on getting a CAI soon anyways, but a solid shove ended up working. Once everything was back on, the car really felt the same. Boost pressure was identical, the sound was a little louder and higher tones were definitely more present, but overall not a major difference.

If anyone has questions on how to do this just reply and I'll do my best to help out. Keep in mind this mod doesn't really do much, and depending on your luck/willingness to push hard on your parts, could take an hour. However, if you do plan on going for a CAI later, doing this now would make it much quicker.
You think that's bad? The 2.0 intake resonator box requires you to drop the subframe. I didn't want to do that so I just sawzaw'd mine off. Here's a picture from another member of the 2.0 intake resonator. Absolutely insane.

Honda Civic 10th gen Removing Intake Resonator Box IMG_0024.JPG

UnknownNate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You think that's bad? The 2.0 intake resonator box requires you to drop the subframe. I didn't want to do that so I just sawzaw'd mine off. Here's a picture from another member of the 2.0 intake resonator. Absolutely insane.

IMG_0024.JPG
That looks rough. The civic engine bays are already pretty cramped with the 1.5, can't imagine how difficult other things are with that 2 liter.
Tbh I wish Honda had just not included the resonator, the more I drive the more I'm noticing it sounds nearly identical, except at around 30-45 mph if you let engage the throttle ever so slightly to get some turbo spool and then gun it. It sounds super great in that scenario, and significantly louder than stock, but in any other situation, it changes nothing. Weight reduction I guess lol.

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That looks rough. The civic engine bays are already pretty cramped with the 1.5, can't imagine how difficult other things are with that 2 liter.
Tbh I wish Honda had just not included the resonator, the more I drive the more I'm noticing it sounds nearly identical, except at around 30-45 mph if you let engage the throttle ever so slightly to get some turbo spool and then gun it. It sounds super great in that scenario, and significantly louder than stock, but in any other situation, it changes nothing. Weight reduction I guess lol.
The 2.0 owners have a little more room in the engine bay since there's no intercooler/plumbing and the intake is arranged differently. After removing the stock intake, intake resonator, radiator shroud brackets, and a few other things, the engine bay is a lot easier to work in.

I have a few hastily taken photos of the engine bay currently and when I was prepping some things. I'll have to get some better photos soon.

Honda Civic 10th gen Removing Intake Resonator Box 243184869_3234910720078636_2821764982802323809_n

Honda Civic 10th gen Removing Intake Resonator Box 243273508_403028297871294_6171463075994526098_n

Honda Civic 10th gen Removing Intake Resonator Box 243212080_1481409958902466_5904614267323321422_n

Honda Civic 10th gen Removing Intake Resonator Box 243160446_1233152667148907_8395473645085849103_n

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here are some better ones I took earlier this afternoon

Honda Civic 10th gen Removing Intake Resonator Box 243195287_4258507707531781_207373626816164650_n

Honda Civic 10th gen Removing Intake Resonator Box 243218071_264224545620694_222609614225101906_n

Honda Civic 10th gen Removing Intake Resonator Box 243200841_1004212630339383_524962456364823059_n

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here are some better ones I took earlier this afternoon

243195287_4258507707531781_207373626816164650_n.jpg

243218071_264224545620694_222609614225101906_n.jpg

243200841_1004212630339383_524962456364823059_n.jpg
Very nice intake design. I love how it is larger before the 90 degree bend turning downwards. Excellent! :thumbsup:

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very nice intake design. I love how it is larger before the 90 degree bend turning downwards. Excellent! :thumbsup:
Yup! I found it to help ever so slightly. I had air velocity in mind. I really want to fashion up a metal tubing that doesn't bend as suddenly as to keep the air flow at maximum velocity but the ducting has worked pretty well all things considered.
Sponsored